TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF/E Tidbits from the past

Notes from the latest Retro Observer:

Ted DiBiase regained the Million Dollar Belt from Virgil in a **1/2 match when Repo Man (Barry Darsow) hit Virgil with the belt while Sherri distracted the ref. So after this airs, DiBiase will work with El Matador for the belt

I would have liked to seen that.

Earthquake and Big Bossman had a singles match which went 2:42 before they simply signalled for the match to stop, because of a technical problem either backstage or in the ring because they brought them both out a few minutes later to try again.

They debuted a 7-foot-tall Cajun Giant, who was absolutely the worst.

Any clue who this is?

Ric Flair brought out Mr. Perfect as his new manager. Perfect will be called Flair's Technical Adviser and Bobby Heenan (who won't be going on the road anymore) will be Flair's Executive Consultant. Jim Cornette was offered the spot as Flair's manager but turned it down.

That's a shame.

I'm not saying that it was the smart money move, but Cornette always wanted to run his own wrestling company, and the plans were set in motion at that time.

I'm watching some old WWF on JTV, from December of 97. Is there any reason why JR keeps calling Kane "the one-eyed monster?" I mean, he didn't start raping people until YEARS after that.

I'm still not sure if today's Kane is the 1997 Kane, or if the 2006 Fake Kane was supposed to be the real Kane that was actually burned, thus explaining why he still wore a bodysuit and mask. Taker seems pretty sure that current Kane is his brother, so let's pretend that 2006 angle never happened. Maybe they can retcon it to say Festus was dressing up as Kane because he's unstable.

I'm watching Survivor Series 1999. I've always wanted to see this show because I first got into wrestling in October 1999, and this was the PPV where I figured out I could turn my TV to the scrambled channel and hear the commentary. Anyway, my question: Why was Billy Gunn late for the show? He was the only member of DX not present when Austin was run down, so 12-year-old mark me automatically assumed it had been him. I think when he returned from injury the next year during Austin's return and the "who ran over Austin?" angle, they addressed it. Something like his flight was late and Brooklyn Brawler picked him up from the airport. Is that the real reason? His flight was just late and it had nothing to do with the angle?

EDIT: The Outlaws/Mankind & Al Snow match is up now, and Gunn came out without his Tag title belt, so maybe they lost his bags or he forgot to pack the belt or something too.

EDIT2: I just watched Austin/Rock from IYH: DX on the IC title DVD. What's the story with Rock coming out wearing the belt even though Austin was the champion?

EDIT2: I just watched Austin/Rock from IYH: DX on the IC title DVD. What's the story with Rock coming out wearing the belt even though Austin was the champion?

Rock stole the belt the previous month.

Another SS99 question: How far in advance did they know Austin wasn't going to be able to wrestle, and when was the decision made to give Big Show the title? He was in the middle of a midcard feud with Big Boss Man, then all of a sudden he's champion.

They knew weeks ahead of time, yet hyped the triple threat match. It was originally going to be Test, but I believe he got hurt, so they decided on the last day to give it to Big Show. I remember being a huge Test mark and being disappointed at the time. I read this on Wrestleline.com the day after it happened, so I am not sure how legit it is, but I remember definitely recalling they knew for a while Austin wouldn't be in there.

They knew weeks ahead of time, yet hyped the triple threat match. It was originally going to be Test, but I believe he got hurt, so they decided on the last day to give it to Big Show. I remember being a huge Test mark and being disappointed at the time. I read this on Wrestleline.com the day after it happened, so I am not sure how legit it is, but I remember definitely recalling they knew for a while Austin wouldn't be in there.

Test had a broken nose, right? I remember him wrestling in a face mask for a little while, I think it was around this time.

Yeah, broken nose. Such a shame. It's amazing how much different his career might have went if he didn't break his nose around that time. He never got pushed the same when he came back from the injury. He never even got the real blowoff match against HHH, despite, you know, HHH stealing his fiancee and all tat.

Yeah, I actually liked Test around that time. I remember him having a nifty match with Big Boss Man on Raw for the Hardcore title, and he won with a diving elbow using Boss Man's nightstick.

Yeah, I actually liked Test around that time. I remember him having a nifty match with Big Boss Man on Raw for the Hardcore title, and he won with a diving elbow using Boss Man's nightstick.

At that point in my wrestling fandom, I had never been happier than when Test won the Hardcore Title.

This was within the first year of me watching wrestling, I believe. And I loved Test. No clue why.

Guest Smues

Re: Survivor Series 99. When it was announced that Austin was out I was screaming KANE KANE KANE KANE KANE KANE KANE KANE KANE. I was in super Kane mark mode at the time, obviously. So yeah when the Big Show's music hit I was less than thrilled. But I did at least get some joy from the fact that HHH lost the belt.

And I was also sure Billy Gunn was the driver, for about a week. Then when it was obvious they were going to make it a mystery I figured he was too obvious and it wasn't him.

Kane did have a couple of fun matches with Show for the title during that reign. I remember on Raw where Show issued an open challenge for the title and Kane accepted. They goozled each other at the same time, but I think Show finally squeezed harder. Then they had another match after the start of the McMahon-Helmsley era. It may have been the match with the stipulation that if Kane lost, Tori had to spend New Year's with X-Pac. Triple H kept adding stipulations, so it turned out being No DQ and Falls Count Anywhere, and Show powerbomed Kane through the announce table for the win IIRC.

Show also had an interesting match with Viscera for the title.

This stuff was happening within the first 2-3 months of me watching wrestling, and I, for whatever reason, was a huge Big Show mark (I still have a soft spot for the guy). I even stayed on Show's side when he turned heel against The Rock after losing the title.

Show also had an interest match with Viscera for the title.

This stuff was happening within the first 2-3 months of me watching wrestling, and I, for whatever reason, was a huge Big Show mark (I still have a soft spot for the guy). I even stayed on Show's side when he turned heel against The Rock after losing the title.

This match was so good, it's scary. Probably Big Daddy V's best work to date, and very strong work from Big Show.

I too sided with Big Show during that little angle with The Rock. The guy was right, afterall.

Thanks for pointing out my typo, haws. I wonder if that Big Show/Viscera match is online somewhere. Youtube has a match between them, but it's not the one in question.

Hah, I didn't even notice the typo, until you mentioned it. Anytime someone brings up the Big Show / Viscera match for the title from 1999, I don't mind bragging about it. If ever there were two guys who had no business clicking as well as they did in a short, throwaway TV match, it's these two.

They knew for a couple of weeks ahead of the PPV that Austin wasn't going to wrestle, yes, but Test was never going to be in that spot.

Big Daddy V's best work to date

Chris Jericho pulled a ***+ match out of Big Vis on Heat in the summer of 2000.

Can anybody give me a reasonable explanation for the "Sycho" Sid name? My brain hurts just trying to figure it out. Is is supposed to mean that he's not really a psycho or something? I just feel dumb every time I see it in print. And I was put in the position to explain it a few times before, which was really frustrating, because I have no idea why the "P" was exempt from the name.