TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

Wrestlemania XXI - Xbox

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/568/568172p1.html

WWE WrestleMania 21 Details

Can you smell what THQ is cooking? New details and first screenshots surface.

November 23, 2004 - THQ has been quiet about WWE WrestleMania 21, offering no details on the upcoming online wrestler for Xbox. After months of begging, praying, and hoping for news, first details on WrestleMania 21 are finally available. Developed by Studio Gigante, who last brought Xbox owners Tao Feng, WrestleMania 21 is set to ship in early March, several weeks before WrestleMania 21 hits the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Featuring motion-captured animations, voice-over and commentary from your favorite wrestlers, and four-player head-to-head online play, WrestleMania 21 sounds like the wrestling game Xbox owners have been dying for.

WrestleMania 21 introduces a pro-reversal system, which is an innovative countering system that utilizes a different counter for every attacking move. The story mode, which is just as important as the action in the ring, promises a unique character-building element enabling players to upgrade a star's appearance, abilities, entrance cinematic, costumes, and move-set.

Though there are few details available on the Xbox Live functionality, it has been revealed that WrestleMania 21 includes four-player head-to-head support with multiple match types and voice chat. While voice chat in any other type of fighter would seem like a nice add-in, being able to offer your own demonstrative statements to those you're about to smack down is essential for a great online wrestling game. To make the online battles more meaningful, Studio Gigante added a Create-A-Belt option. Design your own championship belt, then take it online. Defend your belt, build your prestige, and become an online legend.

These scant details are just a taste of what WrestleMania 21 has in store for gamers. In just a few weeks, IGN will bring you in-depth details on THQ's upcoming grappler. Until then, you can enjoy the following:

wwe-wrestlemania-21-20041123031635162.jpg

wwe-wrestlemania-21-20041123031637349.jpg

wwe-wrestlemania-21-20041123031638240.jpg

wwe-wrestlemania-21-20041123031636475.jpg

Though things have been quiet on the WrestleMania 21 front up until this point, IGN is looking to bring the thunder in the New Year. You want WrestleMania 21? Oh, we'll give you WrestleMania 21. Stay tuned for much, much more.

-- Hilary Goldstein

Wow. HHH is so godly that his hand casts an orangle glow in that one picture, that casts down on some audience member.

Also, CUT IT OUT WITH THE DOOM3/HALO2 LIGHTING ALREADY. Not only does supershiny skin go from cool to gross when you apply it to half-naked man wrestlers, but it's not very realistic and makes the characters look like they're covered head to toe in semen.

That's probably the best Triple H I've ever seen, although Spike needs his evil goatee. These are all probably just demo screens anyway.

This already sounds better than SvR and Day of Reckoning.

Guest MikeSC
Wow. HHH is so godly that his hand casts an orangle glow in that one picture, that casts down on some audience member.

Also, CUT IT OUT WITH THE DOOM3/HALO2 LIGHTING ALREADY. Not only does supershiny skin go from cool to gross when you apply it to half-naked man wrestlers, but it's not very realistic and makes the characters look like they're covered head to toe in semen.

Agree. I HATE the plastic body look in games.

-=Mike

Well, at least they finally released some info on this game, since they've been too busy paying attention to the PS2 to give a damn about Xbox I guess.

Until somebody's gotten a chance to play the game... MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH!

Nothing makes me think Team Gigante has a clue how to program a good wrestling game. Yeah, it *looks* good, but the Raws weren't so shoddy in the graphics area as well.

So bouncing to the topic of previous xbox wrestling efforts for a second...is there any wrestling title on xbox that i should get if I prefer a decent caw and good gameplay that at least comes close to creating an aura of reality? Graphics are pretty secondary to me if the game is solid.

Batista is far too happy about being all up in Shelton's groin there.

Wow, I didn't know EA made WCW Mayhem and then it's sequel WCW/nWo World Tour.

Hopefully, the controls are good and the wrestlers sell finishing moves.

Ric Flair is spelled wrong and he looks like Steve Martin.

Edited by UndertakerHart

It made Mayhem. AKI made World Tour, which came out long before Mayhem. It was the predecessor to Revenge (still my favourite wrestling game ever, it has a better lineup to choose from than Wrestlemania 2000 or No Mercy).

Guest Sturgis

Actualy WCW vs. The World was the first AKI/WCW game. Which has the largest roster EVER.

Actualy WCW vs. The World was the first AKI/WCW game. Which has the largest roster EVER.

Didn't WCW vs. The World have the AKI engine in place? I remember playing that game, and pretty much mastering it, since it played almost like the AKI N64 wrestling games.

Well, back to WMXXI...

Now discovering the fact that the company making this game hasn't had wrestling game experience, it could be trouble. Hell, Yukes has had plenty of experience, and most of the XBOX wrestling games have sucked. I hated the RAW series, and I never liked the Legends of Wrestling series. Maybe they could change the trend.

What I like:

- Reversal System

- Create-a-Belt

- Advancement through Career mode (having to purchase moves and attire ala No Mercy, as well as entrances. It looks like you have to work your way up, and I dig that)

What I don't like:

- "This is the best looking wrestling game ever!" GAH! They spent way too much time discussing the graphics, so if that's their best selling feature then the gameplay will suck. I'd rank graphics very low in what I look for in a wrestling game.

- The move animations. It looks like the Attitude-style moves, which are very clunky and unrealistic. I prefer smooth animation.

- Kurt Angle throwing around the Big Show. If they aren't considering weight a factor, than I bet when I play this game I could give Big Show a gorilla press and he'd get back up in a second and I wouldn't even be tired. FUCK. This is my biggest peeve about wrestling games - if I do a move that should have the guy hurt, HE SHOULD BE HURT! Gigante is a fighting game company, and fighting games always have a guy get right back up after being lit on fire or stabbed with a sword. This does not bode well for me.