TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheBigSwigg

Wolverine

Has anyone been reading Wolverine lately? I've slowly liked the series less and less since the re-launch. I like Rucka's work, but it seems like Marvel re-launched it to get it away from the standard Marvel comic book feel, and then changed their minds about 14 issues in. I just read issue 22 today, and I didn't much care for it, as their are too many cameos in the current storyline, and more than likely no continuity in the respective books of those making the cameos.

Here's another part of my gripe: In the New X-Men books, they talked about how the X-Men no longer wore "costumes" because it frightened the humans and so forth. And then in Wolverine 22, someone states that they like mutants in costumes because they're more like superheroes. Can someone explain what happened to Marvel?

What's happening at Marvel?

Basically, Marvel has signed certain, what I like to call "star" writers, to their titles. The "stars" range from Joss Whedon & JMS, to Brian Michael Bendis, to Warren Ellis, to Chris Claremont.

And, basically, the Marvel editors are basically letting them do whatever the fuck they want to do with the titles & characters.

A few examples: Gwen Stacy having some kids with Norman Osborne (JMS), Colossus coming back from the dead for no good reason (other than to make Joss Whedon's X-men debut flashy), and the mess that was "Avengers Disassembled" (Bendis' handiwork).

I'm worried that DC is starting to head down the same path, what with Identity Crisis (which is not as egregious as "Disassembled", but for good or bad they've permanently changed the dynamic of the Justice League, at the least, and made some of their superheroes a LOT less heroic.

Guest Luke Cage
What's happening at Marvel?

Trademark servicing and exploitation of brand loyalty.

What will they do when they have alienated the last generation of diehards? They don't seem to be doing anything to court new audiences. What a shame.

What I hate is that Marvel is reaching WWE continuity levels. It's a stupid thing to start in a direction, and then change it for no obvious reason. It seems like they went without the costumes for a while to make it more accessible to fans of the movie. Now that there is a lapse in between the movies, they just drop back to it. I don't know. I don't read much Marvel, and only started reading Wolverine again because Rucka was writing it. I liked what was going on, but the covers went from being "artistic" to being "comic booky" as my wife says.

I myself feel like there are several Marvel titles that could kick serious ass with a more adult attitude, but they seem to want to maintain a more cartoony feel.

What I hate is that Marvel is reaching WWE continuity levels. It's a stupid thing to start in a direction, and then change it for no obvious reason. It seems like they went without the costumes for a while to make it more accessible to fans of the movie. Now that there is a lapse in between the movies, they just drop back to it. I don't know. I don't read much Marvel, and only started reading Wolverine again because Rucka was writing it. I liked what was going on, but the covers went from being "artistic" to being "comic booky" as my wife says.

I myself feel like there are several Marvel titles that could kick serious ass with a more adult attitude, but they seem to want to maintain a more cartoony feel.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think Marvel should hire Rucka to write 80% of their books instead of Bendis.

I just recently read Rucka's entire run of Gotham Central this weekend, and I'm fucking HOOKED. And he could definitely bring a more adult feel to the Marvel titles.

Here is the problem. A large portion of the audience was raised on the 90s, big fights, big costumes, big breasts, style of comics. They are generally the type that want the costumes, big space battles, and Logan in every title.

Now on the flipside, you have people brought in because of the movies. They want more down-to-earth realistic storylines like in the movies.

Now, any good company would deal with both groups equally, making their particular comics that cater to both, in order to draw both audiences. But Marvel seems to have this idea that EVERYTHING in their name books has to be the same, much like WWE. Thus the fanboys win out this time, and the new audience has been pretty much relegated to the Ultimate Universe. They have no idea how to market different styles.

This gave me a thought... is there any chance that Frank Miller could get hired by the WWE?

I'd LOVE to see a storyline where Steph becomes a strung-out whore who sells out Trips for a shot of heroin. [/Gratiuitous Daredevil Born Again storyline references]

Wolverine vs. Elektra will never be any good. It will only feel complete if one kills the other. Marvel has teased this fight a couple times and it blew each time. This latest story with Wolvie & the Hand vs. the MU is an example of everything that is wrong with Wolverine the story. His character is good. The stories he's been in have been craptastic for the better part of 10 years.

Wolverine vs. Elektra will never be any good. It will only feel complete if one kills the other. Marvel has teased this fight a couple times and it blew each time. This latest story with Wolvie & the Hand vs. the MU is an example of everything that is wrong with Wolverine the story. His character is good. The stories he's been in have been craptastic for the better part of 10 years.

You see, I think that's part of what made Rucka's Wolverine stories good. They didn't involve massive MU cameo's, and they weren't that complicated. They were simple stories based around Wolverine. Granted, Sabretooth was in a few issues, and they had the thing with the chick who seemed to be Wolverine's daughter, but we'll never see who she was or what she was because we've now got "heel" Wolverine taking on everyone in the Marvel Universe. Which, by the way, does NOT leak over into other books. Which pisses me off ROYALLY.

Wolverine vs. Elektra will never be any good.  It will only feel complete if one kills the other.  Marvel has teased this fight a couple times and it blew each time.  This latest story with Wolvie & the Hand vs. the MU is an example of everything that is wrong with Wolverine the story.  His character is good.  The stories he's been in have been craptastic for the better part of 10 years.

You see, I think that's part of what made Rucka's Wolverine stories good. They didn't involve massive MU cameo's, and they weren't that complicated. They were simple stories based around Wolverine. Granted, Sabretooth was in a few issues, and they had the thing with the chick who seemed to be Wolverine's daughter, but we'll never see who she was or what she was because we've now got "heel" Wolverine taking on everyone in the Marvel Universe. Which, by the way, does NOT leak over into other books. Which pisses me off ROYALLY.

Which one are your referring to?

There's "The Native", but she wasn't Wolverine's daughter - she was a "lost" experiment of the Weapon X project, with powers similar to Wolverine & Sabretooth. But she wasn't related to Wolvie, unless Marvel has gone down a REALLY twisted path (for anyone who's read the story arc, you'll know what I mean).

There's also "X-23", who just recently appeared in Uncanny X-Men, but has been prominently featured in the "Nyx" series. I believe she's a girl clone of Logan.

Here's another part of my gripe: In the New X-Men books, they talked about how the X-Men no longer wore "costumes" because it frightened the humans and so forth. And then in Wolverine 22, someone states that they like mutants in costumes because they're more like superheroes. Can someone explain what happened to Marvel?

As far as the costumes go, Morrison didn't like them, so out they went. Whedon did like them, so they came back. And Claremont didn't give a shit either way, so his team always had the costumes.

This gave me a thought... is there any chance that Frank Miller could get hired by the WWE?

I'd LOVE to see a storyline where Steph becomes a strung-out whore who sells out Trips for a shot of heroin. [/Gratiuitous Daredevil Born Again storyline references]

Well, it's better than Robocop 2 references...

Which one are your referring to?

There's "The Native", but she wasn't Wolverine's daughter - she was a "lost" experiment of the Weapon X project, with powers similar to Wolverine & Sabretooth. But she wasn't related to Wolvie, unless Marvel has gone down a REALLY twisted path (for anyone who's read the story arc, you'll know what I mean).

There's also "X-23", who just recently appeared in Uncanny X-Men, but has been prominently featured in the "Nyx" series. I believe she's a girl clone of Logan.

I'm pretty sure I'm referring to "the Native." I think something Sabretooth says in one of the issues is what made me think about the possibility of her being Wolverine's daughter. But I remember what you're hinting at, and I'm pretty sure it's not his daughter.

As far as the costumes go, Morrison didn't like them, so out they went. Whedon did like them, so they came back. And Claremont didn't give a shit either way, so his team always had the costumes.

What bothers me is I read an interview with the current Wolverine writer, and he basically said something along the lines of "Wolverine should never be without his costume, because it's so cool." Which is a horrible paraphrase, but he basically sounded like a huge fanboy in the interview. I myself would prefer Wolverine NOT wear the costume in his own series.

Here is the problem. A large portion of the audience was raised on the 90s, big fights, big costumes, big breasts, style of comics. They are generally the type that want the costumes, big space battles, and Logan in every title.

Now on the flipside, you have people brought in because of the movies. They want more down-to-earth realistic storylines like in the movies.

Now, any good company would deal with both groups equally, making their particular comics that cater to both, in order to draw both audiences. But Marvel seems to have this idea that EVERYTHING in their name books has to be the same, much like WWE. Thus the fanboys win out this time, and the new audience has been pretty much relegated to the Ultimate Universe. They have no idea how to market different styles.

What about people who grew up in the 80s?