TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

"Falling Through Your Clothes" has a nice chorus, but that's it.

Almost any album containing five out-and-out duds wouldn't rate better than "okay," but jeez, Twin Cinema has the title track, "Use It," "The Bleeding Heart Show," "Jackie, Dressed in Cobras" and "Sing Me Spanish Techno," all of which constitute the finest work anyone in the band has ever done (and I'm saying this as a fan of both Neko Case and Destroyer). That the highs are so high almost eases the pain of the album's dead spots, but it also makes the Twin Cinema experience sort of frustrating.

I haven't heard Electric Version, but I don't consider Mass Romantic to be much more than half good, either.

The title tracks from the two albums I have heard are both magnificent, and the best songs of either bunch.

On the first two albums, Neko scored some of the best songs—Mass Romantic's title track and "Letter from an Occupant"; Electric Version's "All for Swinging You Around"—so it's sort of surprising that her lead vocal contributions to Twin Cinema are solid if unspectacular. No matter, though, as there are already great songs on the album, anyway.

All For Swinging You Around is the only song I've heard from Electric Version. The vocals and melody are both a bit too annoyingly chirpy for my tastes. Not one of their stronger songs.

I skimmed through the new issue of Rolling Stone out of boredom, and I don't know what's funnier: That they still think Marilyn Manson is still relevent, or that they think the Sex Pistols are still relevent.

Franz Ferdinand covered my favorite song of the year so far--LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends"--and didn't do very well by it. I usually like them, especially for big stompin' party jams, but they fuck up the urgency of this pretty badly and turn it into the wrong kind of epic. The last 30 seconds are just disastrous.

Sly & the Family Stone's Stand! is a good album that could've been a great one, were it not for the mercilessly tedious instrumental jam, "Sex Machine," which is a total drag. It's been said that Sly was a jazzer at heart—a claim which I do not argue—but no one in his band appears to be one, too, something that becomes all too apparent during the aimless noodling of the track's unrelentingly dull 14 minutes. Ugh.

The rest of the album is terrific, at least.

Franz Ferdinand covered my favorite song of the year so far--LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends"--and didn't do very well by it. I usually like them, especially for big stompin' party jams, but they fuck up the urgency of this pretty badly and turn it into the wrong kind of epic. The last 30 seconds are just disastrous.

I can usually give this band a pass, but yeah, they completely blew it by taking the emotional and surprisingly moving original and filtering it through their usual "Too Cool for the Room" pose.

Ever wonder who sampled what song? Here's a good list of songs that have been sampled. Some of these are really suprising (did you know that the Jadakiss song "Why?" samples Gong? Or thar Kurrupt sampled Can? Or that Insane Clown Posse sampled Black Sabbath? Or that R.E.M. sampled Kraftwerk? Or that Cunninlynguists sampled King Crimson? Or that Tupac sampled Elton John? Also, the Beastie Boys have sampled nearly everybody imaginable.)

That's one of the few standout tracks from Electric Version, but it doesn't change it from being a so-so album.

You think so? I think it's their best album, and one of my absolute favourite albums in terms of consistent enjoyability. Every song on it is just so unbelievably enjoyable (which would be my biggest fault with it, is that the complete lack of filler makes it difficult to me to just listen to it through, kind of like Thriller).

John Cale's version of 'All My Friends' isn't too bad, but still totally unnecessary.

New Order's Movement is an underappreciated album. It's generally dismissed as being an inferior and half developed album that showed the guys having not yet outgrown the shadow of Ian Curtis and Joy Division, but it's got a wonderful atmosphere and memorable songs.

Movement is a good album. Not their best (That would be Technique) but it is pretty awesome. "Doubts Even Here" is a great song.

I was actually glad that they broke up not too long ago. They didn't have any good albums left in them.

I STRONGLY prefer Twin Cinema to Mass Romantic and Electric Version.

I'm sure I've said this before, but the run of the first eight songs on Twin Cinema were Album of the Year quality; unfortunately, the next six songs happened. Granted, I like "Star Bodies," but that still leaves five tracks of mediocrity dragging down the end.

I think your forgetting about "Streets of Fire"

I don't know why but Akon throwing the kid off the stage who threw something at him at KFEST 2007 was kinda funny. And it was nice form too, got him up quick and got some good air under the toss.

Probably just a stunt but if not, wow, somebody has a lawsuit coming his way from two sides.

Queens Of The Stone Age covered Goin' Out West by Tom Waits as the B side of their new single. It's actually not too bad, although it plays it pretty safe and sticks by the original very closely.

Queens Of The Stone Age covered Goin' Out West by Tom Waits as the B side of their new single. It's actually not too bad, although it plays it pretty safe and sticks by the original very closely.

I'm having mixed feelings about their upcoming album. The last one was really disappointing, and just bored me save for a few songs.

I can't say I've ever heard a full length QotSA album, but I do enjoy most of their singles that I've heard. Any of them worth tracking down?

Rated R is awesome. Get it as soon as you can.

That's where the good Queens albums start and stop, if you ask me. The only thing Holme has done that's worth anything lately is fuck Brody Dalle. Rowr.

Songs for the Deaf is pretty good, but not as great as Rated R. That whole album can be listened to without skipping. SFTD is hurt a bit by the radio gimmick and the song "Six Shooter."

ascii.disko rules. Some of the best dancealbe techno in ages. Blows Daft Punk out of the water.