TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

Report: Pedro Martinez signs with the Mets

Two sources out of Boston are reporting that he has signed a 4-year, $56 million deal with the Mets.

Will Pedro last all four years? *shakes magic eight ball* "Outlook not so good"

Enjoy being second fiddle to the Yankees again, Petey. More money to keep Varitek and grab Clement to get younger I say.

This isn't like Clemens leaving, since management actually did all they wanted to to keep the guy around.

Guest Failed Mascot
Two sources out of Boston are reporting that he has signed a 4-year, $56 million deal with the Mets.

Do I get to be one of the sources?

I'm listening to the local sports radio right now and the Red Sox are shifting their attentions to Tim Hudson and Matt Clement. Also gives them more wiggle room to sign Edgar Renteria.

If Ben Sheets becomes available in the middle of the season they are going to give just about the world to get him.

Guest The Shadow Behind You
I'm not really that broken up over it since I'm not a real fan of the team anyway.

Edited for accuracy

This coming from Mr. I only brought the hat to ride the bandwagon but will return the hat because it's "too big" after the series is over.

I'm not really that broken up over it since I'm not a real fan of the team anyway.

Edited for accuracy

Yeah whatever. I honestly don't understand why it drives you people so crazy for me to be a fan of the team.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Likely because you come off as a bandwagoner hoping on the hot team.

Are you going to be a Cubs fan next year?

Likely because you come off as a bandwagoner hoping on the hot team.

No like I said. Even before I watched fucking baseball I knew how the Red Sox were and liked them. When I didn't even know what the hell ERA meant I was still checking the scores in the paper to see how Boston was doing.

It's just recenlty that I actually got into baseball and b/c I already have the attachment to the Boston Red Sox I started rooting for them.

Why is this so hard to understand?

I've always been a fan of Boston teams. I've watched NBA since I was a little kid and always liked the Celtics. As a matter of a fact the only team I don't like from Boston is the Patriots.

And root for the Cubs? Ah hell no. I boss was a Cubs fan and he drove me nuts.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I thought you said hot team.

as for the signing, which I will now pay lip service to, I would say that's too many years and too much money, but I've said that about everything this year. The Mets were kind of stuck in that they are so bad they had to brave the choppy free agent waters or be even worse. Poor bastards.

and by the way, remember the Hudson trade. It's not official untill the guy poses in the hat.

Seriously...the Mets!?!

Man...as good as Pedro is, how can he think the Mets have a good chance at reaching the WS?

Going to the WS is last thing on Pedro's mind right now. He cashed in, plain and simple. if i was him I would take that deak over the red Sox offer...just common sense. He's got his ring, now it's time to make more cash. He knows he won't last the 4 years either, his shoulder is garbage and won't be healing much without surgery.

Guest Failed Mascot
Seriously...the Mets!?!

Man...as good as Pedro is, how can he think the Mets have a good chance at reaching the WS?

Its all about the Benjamins. Pedro has learned money doesn't grown on mango trees and just wants the cash. To hell with the Primadonna. Red Sox can top Edwin Jackson and Antonio Perez. If they sign Renteria then they can offer Bronson Arroyo and *gulp* Hanley Ramirez. Soto is suppose to be a future 30 homer guy if he pans out so losing Hanley wouldn't be terrible if that's the case.

I'd offer Arroyo, Abe Alvarez, Kevin Youkilis, and a PTBNL. I think that could really get it done.

Edited for accuracy

This coming from Mr. I only brought the hat to ride the bandwagon but will return the hat because it's "too big" after the series is over.

the "edited for accuracy" joke has got to be getting up there with all the other lame, old, tired jokes that get thrown about this forum...

Edited for accuracy

Archive this: the first time Bob Barron is haha funny instead of pathetic funny. :P

I'm in shock, but the inner Met in me says something is wrong...there always is.

of course the Mets will regret this in the long run, but maybe they can get a few effective years out of him. Knowing the Mets, now they won't spend any money on their anemic offense. So Pedro will get no run support and leave after 6 innings. Hey, they just got rid of the left handed version of that pitcher. Right now, I'm happy with the signing, but this being the Mets, it will be a disaster in the end

Edit: WFAN says the deal is not official, so this might be a moot point, now they are saying Pedro could still go back to the Sox.

He may win 20 next year since it's the NL, but that is just too much money for a starter that is going to get worse before he gets better. And I don't know if you can call him an "Ace" anymore, and the Mets don't have much behind him (Leiter, Benson, and who else?)

Maybe Pedro is banking on Kris cheating on Anna?

Guest Failed Mascot

Pedro verbally agreed to the deal. That was reported here. So its basically official...he aint headed back.

We're keeping the midget by the way.

Guest Failed Mascot
the Mets don't have much behind him (Leiter, Benson, and who else?)

Leiter signed with the Marlins. The rotation would effectively become

Pedro

Glavine

Benson

Victor Zambrano

Jae Seo(or Traschel if he's still there)

Pedro verbally agreed to the deal. That was reported here. So its basically official...he aint headed back.

We're keeping the midget by the way.

How come you get the midget? Why can't we have the midget? Can the midget cook?

Guest Failed Mascot

I'm a Red Sox fan(real one) so I'm talking about him staying in Boston. Although it would be funny to hear a story break about how Nelson De La Rosa ends up fucking Anna Benson.

I'm a Red Sox fan(real one) so I'm talking about him staying in Boston. Although it would be funny to hear a story break about how Nelson De La Rosa ends up fucking Anna Benson.

I as well am a Red Sox fan(real one) so I hope he does stay in Boston.

All I'm saying is that it won't be this huge loss to lose Pedro. But the midget....the midget might be important.

Apparently Pedro was sick of Boston's brass harping on his sub-par '04 season. What exactly were they SUPPOSED to focus on? And he wanted Schilling money, which just wasn't going to happen.

Looks like the Sox are focusing on A.J. Burnett now.