TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kane Fan

Black Sabbath

Guest Kane Fan

Hi, I am just getting into Black Sabbath. I heard a song online - Iron Man and was wondering if it was the same version as on the Best of Black Sabbath CD. The version I heard began with loud robot voice ("I am Iron Man"). Is this the same as the one on this CD?

Or can anyone give me a link to the song (same as on the CD) online?

Cheers,

Guest The Shadow Behind You

I'm sure someone here can make a real Best of Sabbath mix for you to make.

Paranoid is a classic album anyways. no reason it shouldn't be in your collection and why did it take this long to discover one of the most legendary bands of all time and in particular, a rather famous song.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Don't bother with the best ofs, just get their self-titled and Paranoid.

If you really like those two, progress on to the next two, and so on. You'll hit a point where you think they suck.

Guest Kane Fan

The Best of CD contains most of the songs on Black Sabbath and Paranoid and is cheaper than buying 2 CDs... Is there a difference between the songs or something?

I would check out Heaven and Hell too, just as a curiousity.

And, believe it or not, I won't try to turn this thread into an Ozzy v. Dio war

Is there a difference between the songs or something?

I don't honestly know, but look at it this way: Every single song on Paranoid is good to great. Yes, all of them. Besides that, it seems to be cheaper then most CD's (around here, anyway). So it is very much worth having.

As for the S/T, you NEED to own the actual album, because many of the songs flow from one into the other; it's almost like the whole album is just one enormous song, with a few gaps.

So you COULD get just a few off of each, but you'd be depriving yourself needlessly.

The only thing that sucks about the S/T album is when making compilations. N.I.B. is stuck in one of those long tracks, and you've got to edit it if you want to put just that song on there.

That's where "We Sold Our Souls for Rock and Roll" comes in handy, even it's pretty worthless otherwise.

I think the self titled is actually one of Sabbath's more iffy efforts. Paranoid, Master of Reality, Vol. 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and Sabotage are ALL better albums than the first one. The self titled album has way too much pointless soloing and songs that last 10 mins.

Sabotage is an awesome album, no one else love it here? Ironically I kinda like some stuff on Never Say Die (title track, Johnny Blade, Junior's Eyes are all good songs). It's Technical Ecstasy that I can't hardly get through, it's pretty bleh.

Possible albums to get-

1. Symptom Of The Universe (2-disc Greatest Hits)

This is a release covering the 1970-1978 era of the band. It contains great tracks like The Wizard, NIB, Paranoid, Iron Man, War Pigs, Fairies Wear Boots, Children Of The Grave, Snowblind, Changes, Tomorrow's Dream, Supernaut, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and Am I Going Insane (Radio).

It's pretty much a 29-track version of the album listed below, We Sold Our Souls..., which only had 14 tracks.

2. We Sold Our Souls For Rock And Roll

This is the ORIGINAL "Greatest Hits" album, which contains tracks from the self-titled album, Paranoid, Master Of Reality, Volume 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and Sabotage.

This contains most tracks from the self-titled album (Black Sabbath, The Wizard, and NIB) and Paranoid (Iron Man, Paranoid, Fairies Wear Boots, War Pigs).

This also contains some of the few good tracks from the other albums, including Am I Going Insane? (from Sabotage), Tomorrow's Dream and Snowblind (from Volume 4), Children Of The Grave (from Master Of Reality), and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

3. Paranoid

This contains the 5 tracks listed above, which are all classics, as well as Electric Funeral, Rat Salad, and Hand Of Doom. GREAT album.

4. Black Sabbath (self-titled)

This contains classic tracks NIB and The Wizard as well as other classic Sabbath.

5. Volume 4

This contains Changes, Tomorrow's Dream, Snowblind, and Supernaut as well as 6 other tracks.

6. Heaven And Hell

This is the only non-Ozzy album by Sabbath that I feel is worth a crap. The best tracks are Children Of The Sea and Heaven And Hell.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I think the self titled is actually one of Sabbath's more iffy efforts. Paranoid, Master of Reality, Vol. 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and Sabotage are ALL better albums than the first one. The self titled album has way too much pointless soloing and songs that last 10 mins.

Iommi gives birth to the protoplasm that would definitely become metal on that album..The "pointless" soloing has moments that I still catch in recent metal shredding. Plus it's laced with a neat sort of optimistic negativity that would become cliche in their later efforts. The wandering nature of that album is one of its best aspects.

Guest Thrashist

Actually, Dehumanizer may be my personal favorite, a dark album with Dio's best work. Next up would be Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, amazing album. The s/t is the most innovative album ever while Heaven and Hell is classic. Then Sabotage and the Mob Rules. Then check out Paranoid, Vol 4. I've only heard parts of their work with Tony Martin and Ian Gillian, but what I've heard rules. It's a shame people think Sabbath begins and ends at Paranoid.

Actually, fuck it. Take 100 dollars, pick up the first eight in the Sabbath boxset for 60 bucks, buy Heaven and Hell and the Mob Rules, and then you can probably find Dehumanizer, Seventh Star, and a couple Tony Martin albums used cheap. Voila. That's all you need. :)

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I can understand liking the Dio material if you just like Dio a lot, or are an Ozzy hater, but any of the material they did with any other vocalist was just atrocious. Iommi and Geezer all coked out, scraping the bottom of their simple metal riff creativity while exploring glossed over wanky solos.

I think people have called Heaven and Hell underrated for so long that it's oddly become almost overrated. I have the CD and it's pretty decent stuff for the first half, but after the title song Dio's over the top theatrical vocals start to wear thin.

I wasn't exactly demeaning the first album earlier, just that the rambling nature of it puts it a notch below their later efforts. Sure, Warning is a good song but there's like 10 mins seemingly between the vocals in it, heh. It's all just wild soloing, and it's good but not really something I can listen to ad nauseum.

The really awesome thing about Sabbath stuff is that if you look at their albums it seems like different albums inspired different genres. The self titled, Paranoid, and Master of Reality all shaped heavy metal. Stuff like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Vol. 4 sound amazingly similar to grunge stuff from Seattle done 20 years later.

Hell, Paranoid even may have had some sort of influence on punk, with its concise sound, speed, and lack of solo.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Hell, Paranoid even may have had some sort of influence on punk, with its concise sound, speed, and lack of solo

Paranoid has a really loud obvious solo. It's so simplistic because it was written and recorded in a literally a matter of minutes as a radio track and was tacked on. That's why I like Paranoid less than the s/t. It's more like a bunch of songs than a complete piece of music. You can reorder the tracklisting for Paranoid any which way, and it doesn't change its meaning or flow whatsoever. They're an autonomous collective.

Yeah my bad on that...Paranoid has that bit of solo but it's a concise one that doesn't detract from the song.

In regards to the debut album, it's one of those albums that seemingly has to win me over when I listen to it. As in I put it on and am like "Man I didn't remember this being so good." There is some really great stuff like NIB on that album, but I prefer a lot of their later stuff to it.