TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Matt Clements signs with the Red Sox!

Source

Well, looks like the Red Sox just nabbed their #2 Starter. Definitely gives our rotation solid depth when you remember that Arroyo gave us #3 stuff last season and Wakefield can always be an efficient #4/#5 starter.

At three years, $25 million that's one of the best signings all offseason. He'll be getting paid slightly less per year than the Diamondbacks are paying for Russ Ortiz.

At three years, $25 million that's one of the best signings all offseason. He'll be getting paid slightly less per year than the Diamondbacks are paying for Russ Ortiz.

Wouldn't that just show the D-Backs were really stupid, more than the Sox being smart?

Guest Failed Mascot

I don't think he's going to be a number 2 but damn is this a good deal. Better than Carl Pavano IMO and costs alot less too.

Guest Failed Mascot

So at this moment in time its

Schilling

Wells

Clement

Arroyo

Wakefield

vs

Mussina

Pavano

Vasquez

Brown

Wright

I heard the RJ deal is going to need 4 teams at the least because the Dodgers want more on their end and thus it could collapse. If they do get RJ then I expect the Red Sox to offer the world for Sheets if he becomes available by the trade deadline.

Guest Failed Mascot
still would like another starter to move Wake to the pen.

for everything he's done for the team I seriously doubt they'd move Wake to the pen. I however wouldn't mind still seeing them give a heavily incentive based deal to Kevin Milwood and having Arroyo go to the pen when Schilling comes back. Arroyo showed he can be very, very good in the pen during the ALCS and World Series.

I do have to say to hell with Pedro. I'll take Renteria and Clement over him any day, and they wouldn't have been able to get both had he stayed...maybe not even one of them.

Currently, Wakefield is 8th on the Sox all time wins list, third in games pitched, third in innings pitched, fourth in strikeouts. By the end of the year, he'll likely be third in all categories. Hard to believe, but he's just 12 strikeouts away from passing Cy Young in strikeouts for the Sox.

The ALCS will rock.

Cross Jurisdiction was Anglesault?

His posts were very Anglesault(y).

Great signing by the Sox. I don't understand why the Yanks didn't go after him instead of Wright. Hopefully the Randy Johnson trade goes through.

Guest Failed Mascot

The Part I love most about the deal is that he costs $2mill less than Pavano and only $1mill and some change more than Wright.

Its evidently rob the NL Central of its FAs week for the Red Sox.

Am I the only one thinking "Dude, it's just Matt Clement?" I mean the guy was like the 5th best starter the Cubs had (Wood, Prior, Maddux, and even Zambrano all better). While I don't like seeing the Cubs lose any pitching I'm hardly crying over it.

Guest Smues

I'm glad the Yankees didn't get Clement, but a part of me wishes they had just so he would have had to shave off that god awful goatee.

I'm glad the Yankees didn't get Clement, but a part of me wishes they had just so he would have had to shave off that god awful goatee.

Now he'll just keep growing it.

Do we have another Damon on our hands?

He'll look far worse than Damon. Is he amish? He's from Penn.

He'll look far worse than Damon. Is he amish? He's from Penn.

Clement's hometown is just outside Pittsburgh, far from Amish Country. If he were Amish, he might look like Lancaster PA's own Bruce Sutter...

sutter.jpg