TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rising up out of the back seat-nuh

Your "band to watch in 2005"

So, as 2004 draws to a close, it's time to pimp your tip for 2005. Reasons, links and reccomended tracks are more than welcome.

Mine is a British art-funk-punk band called Bloc Party. At first glance they fall in with the line of 80's retro bands with Franz Ferdinand (my tip last year) Interpol and The Futureheads, but when you delve deeper theres a lot more there to like. They don't have the same air of "cool", and instead just give of a vibe of pure energy both live and on record. And while those bands seem to have a pre-meditated air to them, Bloc Party have a much darker sound that really goes to the soul. They're what Blur would sound like if Damon Albarn really was a punky soulful 23 year-old black South Londoner, instead of just thinking he was.

Their debut album Silent Alarm is out early next year (Febuary in the UK, March in the rest of the world) although it's already widely available on slsk. It's a truly great album that could well be the underground sleeper hit of the year. Full of jagged guitars, dancy beats, pounding bass and brooding hook-laden songs, while the production is amazingly complex and rich for such a relatively unknown band. The opening run of songs (Like Eating Glass, Helicopter, Positive Tension, Banquet and Blue Light) is an amazing start to the album and while some songs (most noticably Price Of Gas) don't live up to expectations, it's a great cohesive rich album that deserves to be listened to on your music player when you're walking home at night. It's so good, that even two of their greatest earlier tracks (Little oices and Tulips) aren't missed.

I give my absolute highest reccomendations to this band, both on record and live.

Recomended Downloads: Helicopter, Little Voice, Positive Tension

Find out more here:

German record label bio

Bloc Party website:includes early streaming samples (I recomend Tulips)

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

The album is average, take me Out is fuckign catchy.

Guest Dr. Wrestlingphysics

Another vote for Bloc Party.

I d/led the album and it is very good.

I just saw Franz in concert...some of their stuff was great, some of it was like listening to Duran Duran on Acid on a scratched record player. I give them a C.

Listening to Duran Duran on acid?

Your analysis of music fucking sucks.

I honestly think Banky would really like the Bloc Party album. Certainly enough to download it.

Go on!

Going to get right now.

I enjoy it much more than Franz Ferdinand. I'm gonna put it on my ipod tomorrow to share witht eh world. Good find chave.

In terms of Canada, Death From Above 1979 will be a bigger band.

Isn't Audioslave suppose to release a CD next year? If so, thats my pick. (though I don't want too)

In terms of Canada, Death From Above 1979 will be a bigger band.

Have I ever insulted your taste in music? if so, I take it back.

The Killers are sticking around.

No, they aren't. This whole mainstream electroclash/dancepunk fad will be dead and buried by June; not that I don't like some of it. And really, if you're going to make music that makes people want to fucking dance, shouldn't the band have an ounce of charisma? They're so fucking boring, making boring ass music. Fuck.

I agree and would go with Bloc Party as being the band to watch in 2005. I also agree with the comparison (of sorts) to Blur. Helicopter is a fucking awesome song.

I also think that both Kaiser Chiefs (download "I Predict a Riot") and the Dead 60's (download "Riot Radio") should both do well this year as well.

The Killers are sticking around.

No, they aren't. This whole mainstream electroclash/dancepunk fad will be dead and buried by June; not that I don't like some of it. And really, if you're going to make music that makes people want to fucking dance, shouldn't the band have an ounce of charisma? They're so fucking boring, making boring ass music. Fuck.

I can hope though.

I see 2005 being the year that Bullet For My Valentine cast aside the lazy Lostprophets comparrisons (they're both Welsh, both have pretty-boy lead singers and, er, thats it) and make a name for themselves. And the new Idlewild album will be tremendous too.

I don't know if they are well know in america but here in Europe THE band is Muse ... Try to download "Hysteria" or "Sing for Absolution". Great great stuff

Even though hos album came out in '04, 2005 will be the year of Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti. Listen to the album "The Doldrums", recorded on an 8-trak, with vocals, beats done via his voice, as well as a guitar, tape loops, and synthesizer.