TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

A New College Hoops Thread.....

I don't buy GA Tech as a contender in the tourney and we'll have to wait and see if they even get into the tourney before that.

Texas Tech is making a run in the Big XII now it looks like and may have a chance to finish 3rd in the Big XII. They won't do jack in the tournament except make it out of the first round but still that's impressive for Bob Knight to come out of nowhere like that.

And right now I think I bank on OSU being in the Final Four over Kansas actually. Both will be in the Elite 8 but I think OSU will go all the way to the title game. Though they are confusing. They looked great at the beginning of the season then they started looking dissapointing and now they're going nuts again. Hopefully they can keep a wave of momentum.

First off, for Dama, Elder's back now. He had his first game back in a win over Clemson.

As for saying GT's tourney run was a fluke, that's ridiculous. You can't make it to the national championship on a "fluke." By that logic, I could say UConn's national title didn't mean shit because GT and Duke were the only teams they played that had over a 6 seed.

Can a Sweet 16 run be a fluke? Absolutely. An Elite Eight trip? Sure. But if you make it to the national championship game, that means you did more than any team in the country, save one.

For the record, Kansas was very good that year, Oklahoma State was tremendous and BJ Elder was (again) hobbled by an injury that took place later in the year. This year, he's going to be 100% by the time the tourney starts, and I think they've got a great chance to win it all.

I still have confidence in UNC this year because their worst game of the year was a one point loss on the road to a top 10 team. Carolina was Shit with a capital T last night. Just read my avatar and sig to see my displeasure in them.

Well Elder's back. We'll see what happens now.

But for the record I am picking OSU, UNC, and Illinois to go to the Final Four right now. The jury is still out on the 4th spot. Possibly Wake maybe Kansas.

When I said Ga Tech's tourney run was a fluke, it's not so much that I didn't think they were capable beforehand (lord knows they beat UConn and Duke in the reg. season)...it's just the run itself was flukish. They didn't do anything real impressive, just barely scraped by one game after the other (N. Iowa by 5, BC by 3, NV by 5, Kansas in OT, OSU by 2). Also, they came out of an upset riddled bracket, with both UK and Zaga going down 2nd round. People have fluke runs that they won't ever replicate, much like the Carolina Panthers. Hell Syracuse had a flukish run in 1996...just a token jobber in the title game for UK to take out. I mean can you serioulsy look me in the face and say that Ga Tech was the 2nd best team in the country last year? Or that Alabama was really one of the 8 best teams in the nation? Fluke runs happen all the time in the tourney, it's one of the drawbacks of a 1 and done format. Sure the NBA playoffs get boring as shit with all the 7 game series, but at least the best team wins.

Realistically Ga Tech is looking at a 4/5 seed at best. They'd get someone about the same 2nd round, and then the 1 seed most likely in the Sweet 16. No way are they getting the same breaks as they did last year.

And I actually think that if OSU last year had drawn Duke they would've gone to the title game b/c they matched up really bad with Ga Tech.

Hell I think if someone beside John Lucas had been placed to guard Jack at the end they would've won that game. Lucas was doing horrible on defense all night and he wasn't even in Jack's face on that last drive for the hoop.

I still have confidence in UNC this year because their worst game of the year was an 11 point loss on the road to a shitty mid-major team.

Edited for accuracy.

I still have confidence in UNC this year because their worst game of the year was an 11 point loss on the road to a shitty mid-major team.

Edited for accuracy.

Yeah, but they didn't have Felton and that game is fairly meaningless as of right now.

Not to mention that UNC played a really shitty game at Duke and still only lost by 1 point. Imagine if they had been on top of their game. They would've ran Duke into the ground.

Here's a fun game. Let's play "Who will be the high seeded teams to lose early in the tourney?" Extra points go to those who name the 1 seeds that will lose the 2nd round, 2s that lose to 15s, etc. No real monetary rewards, just smartmarks bragging rights. Heh.

I'll start it: I say Kansas is gone 2nd round. Possibly UK as well if they get a 1. Not insanely bold picks I know, but they make sense.

Kansas is definitely going to The Elite 8. When they're on they are ON. And I think they'll be on for the tourney. Villanova was like a wake up slap in the face for them.

Don't see a #1. seed losing the 2nd round. Sweet sixteen. I'd say Wake Forest. No real reason, the d is suspect, but it's just a guess.

#2. If they are that high a seed Syracuse.

Here's a fun game. Let's play "Who will be the high seeded teams to lose early in the tourney?" Extra points go to those who name the 1 seeds that will lose the 2nd round, 2s that lose to 15s, etc. No real monetary rewards, just smartmarks bragging rights. Heh.

I'll start it: I say Kansas is gone 2nd round. Possibly UK as well if they get a 1. Not insanely bold picks I know, but they make sense.

My blind loyalty to UK and reality are conflicting here. The blind loyalty says Elite Eight minimum. Reality says second round, if they are a 1 seed. I'll give them third round at best.

I'll agree with you on Kansas.

Oklahoma once again proves to be the most inconsistent and irritating team in the Big XII as they take their 3rd straight loss at Missouri.....F'N Mizzou!

God damn they're pissing me off.

Hey, U of L is possibly 2nd in that inconsistent category. Today we huffed and puffed our way past SOUTH FRIGGIN FLORIDA by 8 pts. We were just about as awful as against Memphis, but it's just that USF is truly horrible so no one will care.

UK was wretched today as well, staggering past a truly pathetic Georgia team that plays mostly walk ons I bet, 60-51.

YES!!! Duke loses and gets swept by Maryland in the regular season! It's always a good day when Duke loses. A close relative could die and my girlfriend could dump me and Duke losing would brighten it up.

YES!!! Duke loses and gets swept by Maryland in the regular season! It's always a good day when Duke loses. A close relative could die and my girlfriend could dump me and Duke losing would brighten it up.

Sometimes I like to see Duke lose more than I like to see UNC winning :D

BTW, did anyone see the feature on Redick on SC after the game? I can understand "Fuck you JJ" chants, but signs about having sex with someone's twelve year old sister is going a little too far, and this is coming from a JJ "hater."

Dama, you sound like my attitude towards Cincy. In 2000 they were #1 in the country, and during the CUSA tourney my mom was in the hospital and my car broke down and I damn near had a wreck. I got home to find out that Kenyon Martin broke his leg, thus ending Cincy's title hopes. It made my day.

I think Zona is such a perennial choker pick that it's almost bound NOT to happen. Zona can at least squash a jobber. When looking at highly ranked teams to go down, I always look at those teams that seem to struggle against shitty teams for no real reason. That's why I have Kansas and UK on my list of those bound to get tossed early.

Sometimes I like to see Duke lose more than I like to see UNC winning :D

BTW, did anyone see the feature on Redick on SC after the game? I can understand "Fuck you JJ" chants, but signs about having sex with someone's twelve year old sister is going a little too far, and this is coming from a JJ "hater."

During OU/Texas a lot of people around me were screaming at Buckner or Klotz I can't remember which one. The one that beat his girlfriend. But people were saying stuff like "You just fouled him like you beat your girlfriend!" or "Is that how you smacked your girlfriend around!?"

So yeah the taunts can get out of hand sometimes.

The thing that pisses me off is this. During the OU/Texas Tech game a lot of students had signs that said stuff like "Bob Kinght throws chairs" or "Bob Knight got fired" or "Bob Knight chases the Dean" and security came through and took them all away.

Well someone in the donor's section that gives money to the school had a sign that said "Bob Knight chokes his players" and they let him keep it. That pissed me off.

Georgia Tech went down AGAIN tonight! Even with BJ Elder back! What was that about them going deep into the tourney? They're fucking 5-6 in conference play now! They might not even make the damn tournament.

Speaking of dissapointing teams. At my sports desk meeting tonight we were talking about OU's basketball team. One of our writers wrote an opinion column about how they needed better guard play and Kelvin Sampson needed to learn how to coach better. Then he went on to blast the other players on the team. We all thought it was hilarious and we came to a funny thought.

OU is probably making the tourney. They'll wind up 4th or 5th in the conference.

But watch them lose to f'n Kansas State and then beat Texas in Austin, beat Kansas in Norman, and beat Texas Tech in Lubbock just so they can say "Fuck you everyone! We lost to Tech at home, Mizzou, ISU, and KSU but we beat OSU, Texas, UConn, Kansas, and Tech at home! HAHAHA! We confuse everyone! Do you like having your emotions toyed with Sooner fans!? Because we love to toy with them!"

Now they're going to blow out good teams and then lose in the Elite 8 to a bad team that got lucky just to complete the ultimate head fuck and heart attack for the fans.

Guest Brian

UW lost tonight. On one hand, I'm kinda relieved because I hope they get the sloppy play out of their system and that it wasn't so much a heartbreaking, close loss. They'll bounce back, and hopefully end up better.

I haven't been following the thread, but I just want to come in and bitch about the fact that as soon as I move out of Illinois, the Illini (who play in Champaign, an hour drive from where I lived) have their best season in 15 years and they, along with my #2 team, Wake, are likely to make the Final Four which is in St. Louis, a mere 2 hour drive from where I lived.

I could've gone to all the games!

P.S. I hate hate HATE Duke and Kansas. May they lose every game they ever play.

Georgia Tech just matches up terribly with NC State. They got swept by them last year when they made their run to the title game, and have now lost 6 in a row to them total. As long as the Jackets can get to 9-7 in conference like they were last year, I think they'll be in perfect position to get back to the Final Four.

Don't be surprised to see them beat Duke next week either.

Georgia Tech went down AGAIN tonight! Even with BJ Elder back! What was that about them going deep into the tourney? They're fucking 5-6 in conference play now! They might not even make the damn tournament.

That's crazy talk. They've got three winnable games still on the schedule (@Florida State, @Miami, Clemson) plus a home game against a Duke team which can be had on the road. Throw in one ACC Tournament win, and they should be fine to make it at 19-10 or 18-11.

That's crazy talk. They've got three winnable games still on the schedule (@Florida State, @Miami, Clemson) plus a home game against a Duke team which can be had on the road. Throw in one ACC Tournament win, and they should be fine to make it at 19-10 or 18-11.

Well everytime someone says they are ready to come back and start winning some games they start losing again. I don't buy GT as a Final Four team and I won't until they actually make it there.

Oh and beating UConn doesn't really seem like any great thing these days. I mean freaking OU destroyed UConn.

And did you see UConn had 16 blocks? What's up with that? They went nuts and still lose. Imagine if they didn't have the 16 blocks.....UNC would've murdered them worse.

I mean the fact that it was at UConn(wasn't it) does make it impressive as a road victory but I'm seeing UConn make an early exit from the tourney.

UConn is basically that 1 road win over Cuse away from being on the bubble. I can't see them going past the 2nd round this year, much like 2000 when they were defending.

Iggy, time to give up the Ga Tech thing. There's no way a team that goes 19-11 or so two years in a row will make 2 straight FFs.