TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Hall of Fame Discussion Thread

The HOF voting comes out next week, I believe on the fourth. Here is a list of candidates....

2005 HOF Candidates

Who are your picks? I'd take Blyleven, Sandberg, Boggs, Trammell, Dawson, and Gossage. I feel especially adament about Blyleven's candidacy, but an article here presents Blyleven's case better than I ever could.

God the 80s had such bland players, no real superstars. (wait a few years for the 'roids to kick in ;) ) I suppose I'd pick:

WADE BOGGS

ANDRE DAWSON

RYNE SANDBERG

no one else really jumps outs much, and even those 3 are trumped by most players at their position today.

Jim Abbott - Greatest one handed pitcher I ever saw.

Dave Concepcion - Hey Joe Morgan calls him the greatest shortstop ever. What more evidence do you people need?

Chili Davis - He goes in for being named Chili.

Tommy John - He has a surgery named after him. Lou Gehrig has a disease named after him and he's in the HOF. I rest my case.

Jack McDowell - He flipped off Yankee fans. How is that not HOF worthy?

Otis Nixon - He knew how to bunt and bunting wins championships.

Guest LooneyTune

Abbott's career, in a nice way, wasn't too good. ."

Abbott's Resume:

Teams: Angels, Yankees, White Sox, Brewers

Key stats: 87-108, 4.25 ERA, 6 shutouts, 1 no-hitter

Awards: 1987 Golden Spikes Award, 1987 Sullivan Award, Third in 1991 AL Cy Young Award voting

Best HOF vote Pct.: 1st year on the ballot

Peers in Hall: None

Unless you were joking that is... wait... WHEN DID MCDOWEEL FLIP OFF YANKEE FANS?! (needs to hear this) Sounds awesome.

Abbott - a special case. wasn't the greatest pitcher, but what he did in spite of his handicap, the guy deserves it

Boggs - no brainer

Mattingly - numbers aren't as strong as some others, but he was great for several years, and I'm a homer, so :P

Blyleven - this guy needs to get in at some point, he was on "outside the lines" around the time of last years vote and just humiliated some sportswriter in an argument over his credentials.

Sandberg

Dawson

I'd like to see Jack Morris get in too

Honestly, none of the names mentioned in this thread would make it to the hall if I had it my way. I wish the hall was the place for the best of the best, it would mean so much more.

Assuming we take that standard, how does Wade Boggs not qualify? If you had a Hall where even players of Boggs' quality could not enter, it would be quite a drab and boring place.

Guest LooneyTune

Boggs and Sandberg would be my definite votes, and maybe Dawson. I'm assuming if Boggs gets in he'll go with the Boston jersey unless the Devil Rays paid him off.

Boggs and Sandberg would be my definite votes, and maybe Dawson. I'm assuming if Boggs gets in he'll go with the Boston jersey unless the Devil Rays paid him off.

The HOF put a stop to that practice. Boggs will go in as a Red Sox.

Realistically, I see only Boggs making it this year. Sutter and Sandberg where the closest, but still quite a bit short. Sanberg receives about 70% and makes it in 2006.

Baseball Primer has done a running tally of the ballots they've read, from newspapers columns of the voters. Goose Gossage is getting substantial support from the small sample of writers thus far.

Honestly, none of the names mentioned in this thread would make it to the hall if I had it my way.  I wish the hall was the place for the best of the best, it would mean so much more.

Assuming we take that standard, how does Wade Boggs not qualify? If you had a Hall where even players of Boggs' quality could not enter, it would be quite a drab and boring place.

You could make an argument for Boggs using the absolute best standards. Perhaps he should be in. But, I always thought of Boggs as a player who was very good over an extended period of time, I never considered him a dominant player, where you would fear him coming to the plate. Or in the case of a pitcher, fear facing him in a game. I agree this would make the hall boring, as very few people would get in, but the hall would actually mean something.

Wade Boggs is arguably the greatest American League third baseman of all-time. Any argument against him being in the HOF holds no water. How do we even know if pitcher's feared facing him or not? Should the Hall of Fame only let in power hitters? Hey I bet for a couple of years pitchers feared Sam Horn but no one wants him the HOF.

Honestly, none of the names mentioned in this thread would make it to the hall if I had it my way.  I wish the hall was the place for the best of the best, it would mean so much more.

You could make an argument for Boggs using the absolute best standards. Perhaps he should be in. But, I always thought of Boggs as a player who was very good over an extended period of time, I never considered him a dominant player, where you would fear him coming to the plate. Or in the case of a pitcher, fear facing him in a game. I agree this would make the hall boring, as very few people would get in, but the hall would actually mean something.

As far as Hall standards go, you could safely let players at Boggs' level in and not have a problem. The problem with watered standards came with the induction of players such as George Kelly, Joe Tinker, and Chick Hafey, who would hardly rate even as All-Stars today.

As for Boggs. Did pitchers fear him? He was intentionally walked 180 times in his career, and led the league in intentional walks six consecutive seasons. That would seem to indicate that managers did NOT want to see Boggs in critical situations. Add that to his superior OBP and batting average (led the league in OBP six times and BA five times), and that he played a defensive position at third, and he clearly rates among the game's elite.

I am not sure how exclusionary you would like your Hall of Fame. Currently, the Hall stands at 258 players. Bill James in the Abstract rated Boggs as the 60th greatest player of All Time, and the fourth best third baseman of All Time. Even if you cut the Hall by 75%, Boggs would deserve induction.

Related news. I'd guess Jerry Coleman.

HOF.com

Gossage would really have to make a huge jump. He was 174 votes short, and 34% shy of the needed 75%.

For what its worth, a poster at Baseball Primer has kept a running tally of ballots we've seen, and Gossage has appeared on 32 out of 36 ballots. Granted the percentage is bound to drop, but from a sample, that gives Gossage a shot.

Thank's Al.

I'll never understand voters waiting to put someone in the HOF? Three maybe 4 years I can see. But, did Bruce Sutter add another 35 saves that I missed? Did, Bert Blyleven reach that 300 Win plateau?

Announcement should come in about an hour. In the meantime, check out my column! Learn the bitter truth about Jim Rice, rejoice in memories of Dan Quisenberry, and read why I changed my mind and support Dale Murphy for induction!

Alright, I gotta ask, why no love for Steve Garvey ever anywhere?

I don't know how old you are Al, but Phillies fans should never forget him for 77 & 78.