TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

Paul Heyman Released

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Bischoff's WCW in 1995-1997 was interesting. Alot of crappy angles but great workers. Bischoff oddly enough loved longer matches, every match on average lasted around 15 minutes as opposed to WWE's 6 minute work.

The problem is though, Bischoff ran a good promotion for two years with Turner's money. We never knew how he could run a promotion without a large multi-billionaire supporter.

Heyman thrived for 7 years with little to no money but had the knack of getting the right talent.

Heyman with Turner is what we need.

Heyman with Turner is what we need.

Well, weren't there rumors a while back that Turner wanted to get back into the "rasslin" business again?

Turner gives Heyman enough greenbacks to get his networks up and running with wrestling again...

Think of the possibilities...

Regardless of all of the negative feelings towards Bischoff in recent years, both by smark & by insider alike, I still have to respect the man for trying to buy WCW outright before it was sold to WWE. He knew he wouldn't have the resources he did in the past, he knew it was a sinking ship at that point, but he was still willing to try to pool up something to get it working...not too many people would keep trying if they were originally playing with other people's money.

Dames

One of the problems both WCW and ECW had were with communication. Heyman under the Ted Turner system would be an absolute disaster. For one, Heyman wouldn't be able to deal with the standards and practices. Bischoff brings this up in the ECW DVD and he was spot-on. Heyman works best in a smaller setting. Two, Heyman would have to be in constant contact with Turner's guys, and anyone who knows anything about Heyman is that the guy is not very reliable when returning calls. Heyman is still very much a carny promoter, and that doesn't mesh well with a corporation.

For one, Heyman wouldn't be able to deal with the standards and practices.

You're probably right on that one, but not everything that Heyman did was something that S&P would get on him for. He'd be limited, that's for sure, but I'm pretty sure he'd still put on a good WRESTLING program, just letting the guys in the ring do what they do...

Dames

Heyman works better when he's in charge and answers to no one you mean?

To reword that, Heyman works better without restraint or having to compromise. And that is not to say his work is better, but rather he operates better. In ECW all he had to worry about was pleasing the fans. The Wrestlers themselves were secondary. In a WCW-like environment, that completely changes. If he thought TNN was bad, this would be so much worse. He'd be wholly limited and wouldn't be able to function - his whole style would have to change, HE would have to change.

You're probably right on that one, but not everything that Heyman did was something that S&P would get on him for. He'd be limited, that's for sure, but I'm pretty sure he'd still put on a good WRESTLING program, just letting the guys in the ring do what they do...

Dames

S&P's psychological effect would be its greatest damage on someone like Heyman. Heyman would have to second-guess himself, limit himself, worry about what THEY think. He wouldn't at first, and then for every 10 storylines or matches he'd pitch, 7 would get thrown out or altered. That would fuck him up. It would frustrate him. He'd spend most of his time playing that game, which he wouldn't want to deal with. His confrontational style, his aforementioned abrasive personality, would only serve to screw him over even more. Think of Joss Whedon with Fox, and how he thought of them. This would be 100x's worse.

Guest Failed Mascot

No wonder I don't like wrestling anymore. All of the writers come from horrid TV shows (although Alien Nation was pretty cool).

Dames

S&P's psychological effect would be its greatest damage on someone like Heyman. Heyman would have to second-guess himself, limit himself, worry about what THEY think. He wouldn't at first, and then for every 10 storylines or matches he'd pitch, 7 would get thrown out or altered. That would fuck him up. It would frustrate him. He'd spend most of his time playing that game, which he wouldn't want to deal with. His confrontational style, his aforementioned abrasive personality, would only serve to screw him over even more. Think of Joss Whedon with Fox, and how he thought of them. This would be 100x's worse.

Like I said, I agree with you, I don't think it would work, but my point is that it would still be better than what we have today in terms of in ring wrestling and entertainment.

Dames

What if Heyman was allowed to promote his shows on...I dunno...HBO?

Hell, they have The Sopranos on there, and that can't be TOO much worse than ECW was, right?

That would also be about 10x more expensive to produce.

Dames

Guest TheLastBoyscout
Do you guys just choose to ignore the fact that heyman has been known to be a scumbag with an abrassive personailty?

With the exception of Ricky Steamboat, I cannot think of anyone in the wrestling business right now who you couldn't describe in similar terms.

Hell, they have The Sopranos on there, and that can't be TOO much worse than ECW was, right?

Dames

For the uninformed like myself...how so?

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

I'd also wager that if WCW led by Bischoff was still around, we'd all be seeing the ROH guys regularly, some Japanese stars, and so on. Its almost a shame its gone.

One of the problems both WCW and ECW had were with communication. Heyman under the Ted Turner system would be an absolute disaster. For one, Heyman wouldn't be able to deal with the standards and practices. Bischoff brings this up in the ECW DVD and he was spot-on. Heyman works best in a smaller setting. Two, Heyman would have to be in constant contact with Turner's guys, and anyone who knows anything about Heyman is that the guy is not very reliable when returning calls. Heyman is still very much a carny promoter, and that doesn't mesh well with a corporation.

Pretty much.

On the second ECW disc choose 'Paul Heyman: Road Agent' and you'll see how reliable Paul was.

Dames

For the uninformed like myself...how so?

First off, HBO is a premium channel, so you'd have limited capability, as opposed to network TV & basic cable, and unless it's a break out hit like the Sopranos, people aren't going to upgrade their cable service 10 bucks a month just for a wrestling show on TV so it'll be harder to build your audience.

Second and most importantly...have you ever seen HBO do something that LOOKS low-budget these days? Everything is beautiful, shot in widescreen, hi-def, etc. The production values that they would impose on Heyman would be very costly and Heyman himself stated that he couldn't afford to upgrade them to go to the USA Network for ECW, so I sincerely doubt he'd be able to afford HBO.

Dames

Guest Danny Dubya v 2.0
Do you guys just choose to ignore the fact that heyman has been known to be a scumbag with an abrassive personailty?

With the exception of Ricky Steamboat, I cannot think of anyone in the wrestling business right now who you couldn't describe in similar terms.

Just Steamboat? There's also Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Molly, Big Show, and probably many others from WWE and promotions I'm not familiar with that I'm overlooking, that aren't abrasive scumbags.

Guest LooneyTune

Wrestling now isn't like the 70's or 80's when everyone protected their spot by being dickheaded assholes. Maybe 1 or 2 guys are, but 90% of WWE is non-scumbag.

I'd also wager that if WCW led by Bischoff was still around, we'd all be seeing the ROH guys regularly, some Japanese stars, and so on. Its almost a shame its gone.

That's what I would have thought, too. Who do you think would be main eventing WCW if it was around today, assuming Bischoff would have bought it?

Just Steamboat? There's also Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Molly, Big Show, and probably many others from WWE and promotions I'm not familiar with that I'm overlooking, that aren't abrasive scumbags.

The same Eddy Guerrero who has gone after fans in the crowds?

None justifiable. Not even the alchohol incident.

I'd also wager that if WCW led by Bischoff was still around, we'd all be seeing the ROH guys regularly, some Japanese stars, and so on.  Its almost a shame its gone.

That's what I would have thought, too. Who do you think would be main eventing WCW if it was around today, assuming Bischoff would have bought it?

AJ Styles and Sean O' Haire

Without question; they were getting a good push as the show left the air.

Nitro was going a younger direction in late 2000 early 2001 with some really good younger workers like AJ Styles with Scott Steiner and Booker T being the headliners at the time.

The Cruiserweights were all over the show and was big enough they created a CW Tag Division.

If Bischoff managed to buy it and gotten a good writer like Gabe Sapolsky or even Dreamer, WCW would basically be like ROH but with better production.

Bischoff would have found a network as well.

Those who are frustrated with Trips & Steph behind the scenes would have had a place to go...as would the ECW alumni that hadn't taken jobs with WWE yet.

Dames

Well, it sucks that one of the WWE's better writers is gone. Besides, I think he played the heelish scumbag very well. So well in fact, that at times, I even wanted to see him get his

I don't understand why they didn't at least keep him as an on screen character but I guess they wanted him out period.

Isn't this the 3rd time he's been "released" or "sent home"...he always finds a way back.

They should just send him to Raw where he doesn't have heat(yet) and do Commentary with Ross again.

think about it; remember Hassan complained last monday about unfair and racist voices? how about tomorow Davari threaten legal action if something isn't made So Bischoff fires Lawler DURING NYR.

Before Hassan's "debut" match against rhyno(big man for him to squash), Bischoff announces that Jerry Lawler's contract has been terminated and he found a new replacement...out comes The Coach. He assumes he's the replacement and heads towards the desk but Bischoff interupts it and goes "Not you coach. you're not the replacement" Coach gets frumpy. Bischoff "You might remember this guy JR! He's an old partner of yours...ladies and gentleman, the new co-announcer of Raw, Paul E. Heyman!"

Perfect. It keeps a good heel on the show, someone who can put some one over and keeps him from working for another company. and gets rid of Lawler.

Heyman can do sleezy things with the new divas just make it even better.

That company isn't stupid enough to put Heyman back on the air with a live mic for 2 hours with everything that's happened as of late.

If Heyman has indeed been released, this would be the first time. A release is a termination of his contract, which I don't believe has happened before.

Dames

It's on a delay now though. Heyman worked the pre-Janet era of live tv. Now i believe everythings like 20 seconds delayed.

That company isn't stupid enough to put Heyman back on the air with a live mic for 2 hours with everything that's happened as of late.

If Heyman has indeed been released, this would be the first time. A release is a termination of his contract, which I don't believe has happened before.

Dames

correct but he's been demoted, sent home and anything else similar to that nature in the last 4 years.

Even if there was a delay, it wouldn't stop Heyman from voicing his opinion eventually. It doesn't matter if it airs on TV, they don't care for his opinion backstage and they aren't going to give him a medium to express it.

Dames