TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Democrats want McAuliffe to stay

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...d=519&ncid=2043

WASHINGTON - Senior Democrats are trying to persuade national Chairman Terry McAuliffe to continue his service as party chairman, especially if none of the current candidates gains momentum in the race to replace him.

About a half-dozen candidates are in the race and a couple of others are considering a run for the position. It will be filled in February at the Democratic National Committee (news - web sites)'s winter meetings.

McAuliffe met privately Wednesday with several Democratic senators on Capitol Hill, and was asked again to consider serving for another year or two, Democrats say. McAuliffe's response was not immediately known, but he has been cool to such overtures in the past.

Democratic senators reportedly at the meeting included Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada and Charles Schumer of New York.

"Terry McAuliffe has been a great chair and he could continue that," Schumer said Wednesday. "The bottom line is that Democrats have a lot of good candidates to lead us."

None of the early candidates for chairman has gained momentum. Some potential candidates — Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack, Democratic activist Harold Ickes and former Labor Secretary Alexis Herman — have dropped out.

Democratic Party spokesman Jano Cabrera said, "The chairman appreciates being asked to stay, but for now he remains focused on handing over a modernized, mobilized and debt-free Democratic Party."

Cabrera told ABC's online newsletter The Note that McAuliffe's "only response for now consists of two words, Dorothy McAuliffe" — referring to the chairman's wife.

Candidates for the position include former Texas Rep. Martin Frost (news, bio, voting record), former Denver Mayor Wellington Webb, Democratic strategist Donnie Fowler and Simon Rosenberg, head of the centrist New Democrat Network. Rosenberg was formally announcing his bid Thursday in Washington.

Others who have been considering a bid include former presidential candidate Howard Dean (news - web sites), former Indiana Rep. Tim Roemer, former Michigan Gov. Jim Blanchard and former Texas state chairwoman Molly Beth Malcolm.

Democratic governors are watching the contest closely and will send representatives to several regional Democratic meetings where candidates will make their pitch, including a session this weekend in Atlanta.

"Right now, the governors are interested in the concept of an outside-the-beltway candidate and we still have not coalesced around any one candidate," said New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, head of the Democratic Governors Association.

Richardson said he's open to splitting the job, with a chairman handling the communications and public side of the job and a chief executive handling "the nuts and bolts."

This truly does baffle the mind. The Dems have gotten schooled in the last two elections. They need to move on to something new, whether it be Dean or Edwards or SOMEONE. They honestly need to get a new strategy going.

The collective Democratic public should be make a loud sound of hands slapping foreheads after this move.

When you lose two elections you really had no business losing, you need to be fired. The party is one step from inept and non-existance.

The ship is sinking and they are keeping command in the hands of the man that fired the cannonball into the deck.

Guest Cerebus
I thought it was "Republicans want McAuliffe to stay," but hey, whatever sinks their boat.

Precisely.

Democrats out of touch? Nah.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Democrats settling for a dope because they can't think of anyone better......where have I heard that before.....

After the democrats showed themselves to be total fat pussies today, I don't know why any "progressive" democrat would ever vote for one of them again.

Guest Salacious Crumb

So I take it this is a sign that the Democrats learned nothing from this election.

So I take it this is a sign that the Democrats learned nothing from this election.

Maybe the party is a firm believer in "third times a charm"?

Democrats want McAuliffe to stay

No, they don't. Really.

There's like three guys who are so afraid of Dean getting the chairmanship that they're willing to renominate Terry McAwful. Trust me, he won't win.

I personally don't think Dean is the way for the party to go. He's got LIBERAL written in magic marker. Tyler you'll say it's not a fair description. But, it's really the case in most peoples eyes.

I personally don't think Dean is the way for the party to go. He's got LIBERAL written in magic marker. Tyler you'll say it's not a fair description. But, it's really the case in most peoples eyes.

Yes, that's not what you want in a Presidential candidate.

But in a party chairman, a top-dog who is supposed to really believe in what his party stands for, you bet it is.

For party chairman, you do not want a guy who is wishy-washy about the party message. You do not want a guy who is out of sync with the people doing the work or goes through the motions but really doesn't believe in the motives. You want a guy who can get people convinced in the party message. There's no doubt that Dean was successful with that, even if people didn't feel right about him controlling the button.

Guest Cerebus

You also don't want an obviously delusional moron. Which McAullife is increasingly proving himself to be.

P.S. Apologies for spelling errors. I'm drunk.