TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Discovery's 100 Greatest Americans

Guest thetrendsetter

Patton, Eisenhower, Dubya(Not nessiacarally agree with, but he'll be there), Jesse Owens, George Patton...

I know this is 1920 onward, but my history of the US before that isn't extensive enough to give reasonable consideration to anyone (besides the obvious': Lincoln, Franklin, JeffersonEdit: Didn't mean Jefferson, wasn't he the south civil war leader? again, pre WWI US history is shady at best)

I expect Ted Williams to be in the bottom 30. I mean the guy gave up 3 1/2 years of his prime to serve in the air force. He didn't just sit back and wash the planes either. He was flying in and doing missions.

Yes, but many, MANY Americans served in World War II. What did Ted Williams do that rates him better than any of our other servicemen? He had virtually no impact on American history, outside of the baseball world.

JeffersonEdit: Didn't mean Jefferson, wasn't he the south civil war leader? again, pre WWI US history is shady at best)

That's not just shady, that's "in danger of failing a citizenship test."

Thomas Jefferson was one of the Founding Fathers, who wrote the Declaration of Independence and was the third president. (Also fathered a whole lotta bastard children with his slave)

Jefferson Davis was the president of the Confederacy.

Guest thetrendsetter
JeffersonEdit: Didn't mean Jefferson, wasn't he the south civil war leader? again, pre WWI US history is shady at best)

Thomas Jefferson was one of the Founding Fathers, who wrote the Declaration of Independence and was the third president. (Also fathered a whole lotta bastard children with his slave)

Poor Stupid Canuck :( ...

You think any major United States president will get the shaft in the top 100, and why?

I expect Ted Williams to be in the bottom 30. I mean the guy gave up 3 1/2 years of his prime to serve in the air force. He didn't just sit back and wash the planes either. He was flying in and doing missions.

Yes, but many, MANY Americans served in World War II. What did Ted Williams do that rates him better than any of our other servicemen? He had virtually no impact on American history, outside of the baseball world.

They'll probably make it seem like such a huge and unique sacrifice, but I'm hoping Discovery isn't ESPN.

Poor Stupid Canuck :( ...

You think any major United States president will get the shaft in the top 100, and why?

Grant might. His presidency wasn't the greatest, but he it wasn't like he himself was corrupt and his influence in the Civil War should get him on the list. Lee & Sherman should be on it too for that matter. Especially Sherman. His idea that war was fought between homefronts as much as the armies was one that would be very important later . Sherman was probably the best general in the entire war, but because his strategies were considered 'unethical' he spawned a lot of hatred towards him.

Guest Phenom

I decided to screw them up:

Hulk "Hollywood" Hogan

Andy Griffith

Seth Green

Chris Matthews

John Wilkes Booth

So?

I'll be the one to say it: there isn't a sports star that is alive today, or who has lived in times past, who warrants being included in a list of the 100 greatest Americans. If for no other reason than the top 100 should go to people who actually changed the nation (if not the world) in a more profound way than playing a fucking game.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is just a hopeless jock-sniffer.

I'll be the one to say it: there isn't a sports star that is alive today, or who has lived in times past, who warrants being included in a list of the 100 greatest Americans. If for no other reason than the top 100 should go to people who actually changed the nation (if not the world) in a more profound way than playing a fucking game.

Robinson was huge as far as race relations go, and Ali tends to be remembered as much for what he did outside the ring than in it.

So?

Anyone who thinks otherwise is just a hopeless jock-sniffer.

No, I'm right and anyone who thinks differently is stupid, gay, and deserves to die.

The people get to vote on it, meaning it'll be a celebrity. Ugh....

I expect it'll be George Washington that wins it; no one hates him and he's revered by practically all Americans (as far as I know) so I think he's the safe bet.

Hulk "Hollywood" Hogan

Andy Griffith

Seth Green

Chris Matthews

John Wilkes Booth

Seth Green's Canadian or at least he seems like he could be a Canadian.

Hulk "Hollywood" Hogan

Andy Griffith

Seth Green

Chris Matthews

John Wilkes Booth

Seth Green's Canadian or at least he seems like he could be a Canadian.

Wrong. He's actually from Philly.

I expect it'll be George Washington that wins it; no one hates him and he's revered by practically all Americans (as far as I know) so I think he's the safe bet.

Gore Vidal is pretty much the only guy I've ever heard or seen dis Washington, so ol' George seems like a safe bet for #1.