TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

DVD player or burner?

Looking to get a new DVD player, possibly a DVD burner. Seems like all I see now are $40-$80 DVD players and more expensive burners.

I had it in mind to get a decient DVD player, in the $100-$150 range, but now I'm just thinking to get a burner. Would I be just better off spending more on a burner and using that as my player as well? While a burner wasn't a high priority, I would like to have one, and since I'm not seeing much in the way of a player I want I might just get one of those.

thoughts?

Guest Contentious C

I have an NEC burner that runs great. I got it from Newegg for $70, with an extended warranty. And buying a 'dedicated' DVD player really shouldn't cost more than $100. You get ones that are more than adequate in the $75-100 range.

For some reason home DVD recorders don't get that great of a picture when you extend the recording time past 2-3 hours (compare this to studio released DVDs from 7-8 years ago that have extremely good pictures playing at a maximum of four hours). The technology hasn't been perfected yet, in my opinion.

Guest Razor Roman
For some reason home DVD recorders don't get that great of a picture when you extend the recording time past 2-3 hours (compare this to studio released DVDs from 7-8 years ago that have extremely good pictures playing at a maximum of four hours). The technology hasn't been perfected yet, in my opinion.

That's largely because the DVD recorders are single layer DVD recorders, the studio produced are dual layer, so you have 9 gigs for data instead of 4.7, so you've got have the space for video information.

more compressed = less gooder :)

Guest Vitamin X

I prefer my Xbox personally for DVDs and my computer for DVD-ROMs and recording. Cheaper that way and nice quality.

For some reason home DVD recorders don't get that great of a picture when you extend the recording time past 2-3 hours (compare this to studio released DVDs from 7-8 years ago that have extremely good pictures playing at a maximum of four hours).  The technology hasn't been perfected yet, in my opinion.

That's largely because the DVD recorders are single layer DVD recorders, the studio produced are dual layer, so you have 9 gigs for data instead of 4.7, so you've got have the space for video information.

more compressed = less gooder :)

Forgot about the whole dual-layer format thing.

I have a DVD Recorder with a built in 120 GB Hard Drive and I set the DVD burning and HD recording both to 3 hours, which is supposedly slightly better than S-VHS quality, but it only looks bad if you pause it. And I can pause live tv, rewind live tv up to 3 hours and save about 60 hours worth of video (in the 3 hour mode) to the hard drive. Its a pretty awesome little machine I got for $300, and its much better than my old DVD player which didn't even have component inputs and progressive scan. But I can tell that its not as great as a stand alone DVD player, specifically the ones that upconvert the DVD to 1080/720, which can be had now for $175. I would have gotten the upconverting DVD player, but I was more interested in recording to DVD/HD.

Going off this topic, I want to convert all my old wrestling tapes to DVD...what would be the best DVD burner to pick up? How exactly does the whole process work? (I'm pretty technologically retarded)

Going off this topic, I want to convert all my old wrestling tapes to DVD...what would be the best DVD burner to pick up? How exactly does the whole process work? (I'm pretty technologically retarded)

I've said it time and time again, if you're only interested in doing VHS transfers, go for a standalone DVD recorder. As several people in this thread have mentioned, going over 3 hours makes the quality take a hit, but computer burning is a complicated process. And since you're technologically retarded, I wouldn't recommend it. Using a standalone is more or less just like dubbing a tape. Very simple.

Guest wildpegasus

I've said it time and time again, if you're only interested in doing VHS transfers, go for a standalone DVD recorder. As several people in this thread have mentioned, going over 3 hours makes the quality take a hit, but computer burning is a complicated process. And since you're technologically retarded, I wouldn't recommend it. Using a standalone is more or less just like dubbing a tape. Very simple.

So what are the best stand alone DVD recorders?

So what are the best stand alone DVD recorders?

Honestly, I couldn't say. The one I have is a Philips DVR980, which if not mistaken, was the first widely availible consumer model. There are NO features, no hard drive, no chase record, no nothing. Fuckin' thing was $800. But it works great even after 2 years. So I'd recommend a Philips.

Also, I've seen a lot of people who have Panasonics, so you may want to give those a try.

In actuality, they're all good, it's just a matter of preference (what features you like, etc.). You can get a top of the line one with a huge hard drive and all that for no more than $500 I'd say.

Guest wildpegasus

Thanks. Really got to think about this one. That's a lot of money.