TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Cubs Fans Rejoice

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1987747

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs traded right-handed reliever Kyle Farnsworth and a player to be named to the Detroit Tigers on Wednesday for pitcher Roberto Novoa and two minor leaguers.

Farnsworth was 4-5 with a 4.73 ERA last season for Chicago. He struck out 78 batters in 66 2/3 innings.

"Kyle Farnsworth is an established major league relief pitcher," Tigers president Dave Dombrowski said in a statement. "He can pitch in many roles out of our bullpen and is a quality addition to our pitching staff."

In six seasons with the Cubs, the 28-year-old Farnsworth went 22-37 with a 4.78 ERA.

Novoa split time between Detroit and Double-A Erie in 2004. In 16 games with the Tigers, the right-hander was 1-1 with a 5.57 ERA.

Chicago also picked up third baseman Scott Moore and outfielder Bo Flowers in the trade.

Moore hit .223 with 14 home runs and 56 RBI in 118 games at Class A Lakeland last season. Flowers played the majority of the season at Class A Oneonta, hitting .280 with four home runs and 26 RBI in 66 games.

I can't help but think the Cubs gave up too soon on Farnsworth. He's a guy that can be dominant if someone shows him how to get it together. The Cubs' clubhouse was such a mess last year that I don't think most of them played to their true level of ability.

They did get a good return, however. Novoa looked very good in Erie, and could be a serviceable reliever after a year of AAA. Moore struck out 125 times last year, and I don't think he's a prospect. It's hard to tell with Flowers. This year will determine his future. Still, Novoa's a good enough pitcher.

Phew, I was worried that the Orioles might give up the younger, more talented and less headcasey Jorge Julio for him as was rumored before the Sosa trade, so it looks like we can either keep him for our own pen or swing him for a starter (Javy Vazquez?)

Phew, I was worried that the Orioles might give up the younger, more talented and less headcasey Jorge Julio for him as was rumored before the Sosa trade, so it looks like we can either keep him for our own pen or swing him for a starter (Javy Vazquez?)

If the Diamondbacks trade Javy Vazquez (or anyone) to the Orioles for Jorge Julio, I will write the obituary for the franchise right now.

If the Diamondbacks trade Javy Vazquez (or anyone) to the Orioles for Jorge Julio, I will write the obituary for the franchise right now.

Wouldn't it be more fun to just laugh at them?

As for the deal, Farn had his moments but there were also moments when he dug himself holes and never recovered. He's done this for the past two seasons and maybe the best thing for his career was to move on and see if someone else can advance his development.

Didn't give him away for peanuts so that is fine by me. Had they given him away for basically nothing, I'd had been pissed. I didn't like his work, but he had flashes of excellence so giving him away for scraps would have been stupid.

Anyone think the Tigers can compete in the central this year? There's a lot of question marks: can Magglio regain form? can Farnsworth? can Percival stay healthy? But they were a tough play last year, and on the surface they've only improved. Personally, I can't see them overtaking the Twins, and if Frank Thomas is healthy it's hard to put them ahead of the ChiSox, but you never know...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1987747

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs traded right-handed reliever Kyle Farnsworth and a player to be named to the Detroit Tigers on Wednesday for pitcher Roberto Novoa and two minor leaguers.

Farnsworth was 4-5 with a 4.73 ERA last season for Chicago. He struck out 78 batters in 66 2/3 innings.

"Kyle Farnsworth is an established major league relief pitcher," Tigers president Dave Dombrowski said in a statement. "He can pitch in many roles out of our bullpen and is a quality addition to our pitching staff."

In six seasons with the Cubs, the 28-year-old Farnsworth went 22-37 with a 4.78 ERA.

Novoa split time between Detroit and Double-A Erie in 2004. In 16 games with the Tigers, the right-hander was 1-1 with a 5.57 ERA.

Chicago also picked up third baseman Scott Moore and outfielder Bo Flowers in the trade.

Moore hit .223 with 14 home runs and 56 RBI in 118 games at Class A Lakeland last season. Flowers played the majority of the season at Class A Oneonta, hitting .280 with four home runs and 26 RBI in 66 games.

I can't help but think the Cubs gave up too soon on Farnsworth.

Let's pretend you didn't say that.

Anyone think the Tigers can compete in the central this year? There's a lot of question marks: can Magglio regain form? can Farnsworth? can Percival stay healthy? But they were a tough play last year, and on the surface they've only improved. Personally, I can't see them overtaking the Twins, and if Frank Thomas is healthy it's hard to put them ahead of the ChiSox, but you never know...

Can they? Absolutely. Will they? Probably not. Their free agent signings were questionable. I doubt Magglio is 100%, and Percival is sliding. Still, Bonderman could emerge as an ace, and their young players could step up. Never say never. But I see the Tigers as #4 in the Central right now.

It wouldn't just be for Julio, but he might be part of a package of say Julio, Bedard and a minor leager. Although those rumors have dried up recently...

Farnsworth may have had flashes of brilliance, but the truth was, he could elicit a groan from the entire ballpark (and rooftops too) when he came in the game, and for good reason. Just too erratic to rely on for setup or closer, despite the fastball, and he grabbed his crotch a lot. See ya later Farns

Farnsworth may have had flashes of brilliance, but the truth was, he could elicit a groan from the entire ballpark (and rooftops too) when he came in the game, and for good reason. Just too erratic to rely on for setup or closer, despite the fastball, and he grabbed his crotch a lot. See ya later Farns

The bleacher creatures' attempts at armchair analysis has failed for 96 years. It's time to let the sabermetric revolution have a crack at it.

"Who cares if this team lacks OBP? Moving Sosa to 6th in the lineup will solve all of our problems!!"

"Who cares if our pitching ranks second in the league? We need a proven closer!!"

"Our team sucks? It's obviously the fault of our best players!!"

"Let's ignore those silly strikeout numbers, and instead concentrate on a small sample of innings pitched!!"

And so on. In Farnsworth's case, when a pitcher of immense talent struggles, I first blame the coaching staff.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Farnsworth have a good year for Detroit. I think the Chicago spotlight and pressure probably got to be a bit much for him. There's no pressure in Detroit, since they haven't been good in forever. Fans there are grateful for a .500 team.

Amazing how soon people forget how solid Farnsworth was in 2001 and 2003 no less. 2.74 ERA in 82 IP with 107 K/29 BB in 01 and 3.30 ERA in 76.30 IP with 92 K/36 BB.

In 2004, he had similar numbers at 66.7 IP with 78 K/33 BB. His problem was surrendering hits(67) which could be blamed on poor defense. He also allowed 10 HR, his 2nd highest total as a reliever(14 in 2000 but he also had 5 starts).

From May - July, he had a 2.59 ERA in 42 appearances. 41 IP with a 54 K/23 BB rate and allowed 32 hits with 4 HR.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm posting in this thread because Czech compared Kyle Farnsworth to the Lakers retaining Slava Medvedenko. Sorry Czech, but Slava hasn't even shown any sign of potential yet.

The bleacher creatures' attempts at armchair analysis has failed for 96 years. It's time to let the sabermetric revolution have a crack at it.

"Who cares if this team lacks OBP? Moving Sosa to 6th in the lineup will solve all of our problems!!"

"Who cares if our pitching ranks second in the league? We need a proven closer!!"

"Our team sucks? It's obviously the fault of our best players!!"

"Let's ignore those silly strikeout numbers, and instead concentrate on a small sample of innings pitched!!"

And so on. In Farnsworth's case, when a pitcher of immense talent struggles, I first blame the coaching staff.

And to your detailed rebuttal, I come back with

FARNSWORTH SUCKS

I am frankly shocked anyone WANTED Farnsworth. I gotta go with Czech on this one, that guy is just awful. Revolting. Pathetic. I can't think of enough adjectives. I saw him at least two times completely fuck up and blow 4 run type leads vs. the Cardinals, including the game that basically killed the Cubs' season (Cub fans know the game I speak of...Cubs could have tied St. Louis before the break, but noooo).

How can anyone say the Cubs gave up on him too soon? The guy was there SIX YEARS. He couldn't get his shit together in that time?

Farns reminds me of that guy from Bull Durham, and I like to call him Horseface Mullethead. I hate him. I hope he does great next year, and the Tigers win the Central.

Glad to see him go because he it was clear he wasn't ever going to be able to handle the pressure of meaningful games. He'll probably do well in Detroit, unless he has to play in any significant games.

The guy was just too erratic. I don't give a damn about strikeouts if you can't get batters out when it counts.

When the guy was in a tough spot, you could see fear on his face....not good.

But meh...he'll probably do well in the AL Central.

No way, I could've sworn he's hit more than that.

Actually no, it was only four.

However his almost hit batters numbers cannot be defined by a number since none goes that high.