TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JST

Help a brother out

The situation first: I was reffing a championship match where I had to suffer a ref bump. While I was out, shenanigans happened and I was to "come to" when the final pinfall was occurring. I was ringside selling, so I walked (read: staggered) around to be in full view of the shoulders, slid my arm in and counted three. In theory, the match is over.

BUT, my boss and booker comes up to me and says he's never seen a ref do this and began arguing with me that in storyline terms, this "ringside count" shouldn't be valid. I defended my point by saying I've seen this before and that a ref can be anywhere he damn well pleases as long as he sees the shoulders, but he doesn't believe me.

So now I ask this: I KNOW I've seen a referee count a pinfall while outside of the ring. Surely someone here must've have seen this occur. I wanna know 1) when and what match this has occurred, and 2) I need video proof of it (as in a link to a video file. Can't afford tapes for now)

Help me shut up my boss. ;)

Well, this doesn't really count because it's a no brainer since it's a hardcore match, but at X7 the ref slapped the side of the plexiglass to count the three when Kane won the match.

Not only that, but doesn't common sense suggest that if a ref sees the pin, and is in position to see a kick out, and counts to three, then the match is over. I don't think there's a rule book on this kind of thing...

Guest LooneyTune

I've seen several times where NWA/WCW referees in the late 80's (especially the head referee whos name blanks right now) where they would, if out of position, go outside, or under the ropes to count the pin attempt.

Guest LooneyTune

Try any Flair match from a big event like Starrcade, or on a GAB tape. I've seen him do it several times. I think Earl Hebner did it on a recent RAW too, or maybe it was Mike Chioda... either way, it's a fairly common thing that happens when someone is pinned in a pretty bad position in the ring.

Guest LooneyTune

Hmm.. not really sure. At RR 2000, Hebner I think was under the ropes or very close to them, but not outside, and at Backlash 2004, Chioda was very hesitant at making the count, because he had to count on tacks that got suck in his hand.

Guest bigm350
i think tommy young counted a pin attempt this way in flair/steamboat clash of the champions.

Yeah, he counted from outside the ring at COTC VI.

When it happenned Jim Ross, on commentary, complimented Tommy Young for his quick thinking in realizing that sliding outside the ring was the only way to get in a good position to make the count.

Guest LooneyTune
i think tommy young counted a pin attempt this way in flair/steamboat clash of the champions.

I knew it was in at least one match on the Flair DVD.

Guest bigm350
wasn't Tyson's count at WM 14 kinda like this? i don't remember very well

Not really. Tyson was the special enforcer, after the ref bump and after Austin hit the stunner, Tyson dove in the ring and counted.

Technically, I don't think Tyson was supposed to count since he was labelled as the special enforcer and not a second ref; but I guess that's WWF/E logic for ya.

Guest LooneyTune

Tysons count was also super-fast. Not 1-2-3 Kid during Ramon/Sid week before SSeries 95 fast, but still fast.

Guest Rrrsh
Stop breaking kayfabe, you fucking asshole.

Death to your "promotion."

Now that was mean

When it happenned Jim Ross, on commentary, complimented Tommy Young for his quick thinking in realizing that sliding outside the ring was the only way to get in a good position to make the count.

If good ole JR likes it, then it MUST be good.

Guest LooneyTune

W'ere talking 1989 JR, a.k.a the best PBP man in wrestling at the time, not near-senile, repeating his catchphrases every 2 seconds, hampered down by the stupid idiot Lawler 2000's.

Hmm.. not really sure. At RR 2000, Hebner I think was under the ropes or very close to them, but not outside, and at Backlash 2004, Chioda was very hesitant at making the count, because he had to count on tacks that got suck in his hand.

He should've done like me, count with his foot. B-)

At IYH: Beware of Dog Shawn and Davey Boy did a double pin deal. Hepner had been bumped and a new ref came in, the new ref counted Shawn's shoulders down in the ring while Hepner counted Davey's down from outside the ring.