TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Barry Larkin deserves the Hall

Since Barry Larkin announced his retirement today, I figured I'd give nine reasons why he deserves baseball's highest honor.

1. Larkin earned 347 win shares, better than half of the current HOF.

2. Larkin appeared in twelve All-Star games. I would be hard-pressed to find any player with twelve All-Star appearances to his credit that did not reach the Hall of Fame.

3. Larkin hit 16% better than league average over the course of his career.

4. Larkin won three gold gloves, and likely would have won many more had he not been a contemporary of Ozzie Smith. Larkin's range factor is nearly .4 better than league average.

5. Larkin won an MVP award.

6. Larkin hit .353/.421/.529 in the Reds' sweep of the Oakland Athletics in the 1990 World Series, and holds a .338 career postseason batting average, with eight stolen bases in seventeen games.

7. Along with his 379 career steals, Larkin was caught just 77 times, for an 83% success rate. This is one of the ten best success rates of all time.

8. Larkin meets 46.9% of HOF Standards. 50% is the average mark.

9. No retired shortstop has a better case for the Hall of Fame.

Larkin's numbers don't jump out at you, but when you take everything into account, the batting average, walks, power, speed, and defense, he produced more than many big sluggers of his day. I think Larkin is deserving of the Hall.

I can definatly see Larkin being a "Guy who waits 14 years and gets in on the last try" type of guy.

Yeah, he probably does belong, though he gets hurt for being in the League during the same era's as both AL "Troikas" (Ripken-Fernandez-Trammell early and of course ARod-Nomar-Jeter later) along with being a contemporary of Ozzie Smith leads Barry to being way overshadowed

Steve

Barry Larkin > Ozzie Smith, and that's coming from a person who worships Ozzie. And yes, Ripkin beats Larkin, but its doubtful he'll be out when Larkin comes up for election.

Who else retired this year?

Barry Larkin > Ozzie Smith, and that's coming from a person who worships Ozzie. And yes, Ripkin beats Larkin, but its doubtful he'll be out when Larkin comes up for election.

Off hand Robin Ventura is the only one who might get a "sympathy" vote or two

Edgar Martinez is the only other guy listed on the Hall's site, its doubtfull he'll get in, though I wonder how much support he'll get

Steve

Barry Larkin > Ozzie Smith, and that's coming from a person who worships Ozzie.  And yes, Ripkin beats Larkin, but its doubtful he'll be out when Larkin comes up for election.

For what? Getting his head pounded in by Nolan Ryan?

Cause that's really all I ever remember about him

Also, as a Reds fan, I'm just glad Larkin retired without putting on another team's uniform. Should he make it into the HoF, I would have hated to see the plaque say something like "1986-2004 Cincinnati Reds, 2005 Tampa Bay Devil Rays" or something like that

Worse players have been elected. Ventura was quite good for awhile, hitting 292 home runs, and winning six gold gloves. I wouldn't vote for him, of course.

Guest Failed Mascot

Not to hijack the thread but alot of major sports figures have retired this season.

Barry Larkin

Karl Malone

Reggie Miller

Emmit Smith

I can't recall a time when more hi-profile players retired together.

I think it was looking to be Washington Nationals, which is just as bad if not worse. Poor Wade Boggs, on that note.

Actually, Larkin has been hired as a special assistant in the Washington Nationals front office. Odd that the Reds didn't offer him a job, unless I'm missing some sort of feud...

Ventura's not stupid enough to fight back against Nolan Ryan. He gains nothing from beating up a future HOFer.

Barry Larkin > Ozzie Smith, and that's coming from a person who worships Ozzie.  And yes, Ripkin beats Larkin, but its doubtful he'll be out when Larkin comes up for election.

Also, as a Reds fan, I'm just glad Larkin retired without putting on another team's uniform. Should he make it into the HoF, I would have hated to see the plaque say something like "1986-2004 Cincinnati Reds, 2005 Tampa Bay Devil Rays" or something like that

Probably ranks top 10 or so in all-time Grand Slams, hit a Grand Slam "Single" that woin a "legendary" 1999 NLCS game (Mets still lost series) and set the collegite record for consecutive game hit streak

Thats enough for a vote or two

Guest The Shadow Behind You
I think it was looking to be Washington Nationals, which is just as bad if not worse. Poor Wade Boggs, on that note.

Actually, Larkin has been hired as a special assistant in the Washington Nationals front office. Odd that the Reds didn't offer him a job, unless I'm missing some sort of feud...

Not are you missing a feud; but you're missing a very ugly one.

Simple explanation? Barry hates The Reds Organization and and the Reds Organization aren't fans of Barry now.

Barry has worn out his welcome awhile back with the city who felt while we needed him for his leadershup made the reds give up too much money for him.

Barry was always one of those "we like him but we dont know him" kind of guys. Hardly will be an endearing name like Bench, Perez, Rose, Rijos, Casey and more.

Barry Larkin completely deserves a HOF. I can't even see an arguement. He retired in a weak year. He should be first ballot in my opinon but I'll figure he goes in @ 3rd try.

Simple explanation? Barry hates The Reds Organization and and the Reds Organization aren't fans of Barry now.

Barry has worn out his welcome awhile back with the city who felt while we needed him for his leadershup made the reds give up too much money for him.

Barry was always one of those "we like him but we dont know him" kind of guys. Hardly will be an endearing name like Bench, Perez, Rose, Rijos, Casey and more.

The Reds' organization and Rose soured in the late 1970s. Times change. In the future, fans will forget any feud, and remember that 1990 World Series flag.

Guest Failed Mascot

I thought McGriff was back working out with the D-Rays. He's just hanging on to reach that 500 homer milestone.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Larkin just needs some time away from the organization. Give him a 5 years or so and the feud will be forgotten.

But he's a definate Hall of Famer considering how many All Star games and the MVP he got.

I thought McGriff was back working out with the D-Rays. He's just hanging on to reach that 500 homer milestone.

He's not no their 40 man roster or non-roster invitees so I'd assume he's done.

Do not listen to the guy who said Larkin hates the reds organization, he has no clue what is going on. Larkin has gone on record as saying he wants to be in the front office for the reds, and some day be the manager of Cincy. An exact quote from Larkin is, "If I need to go through Washington to get a job in the Reds front office, then so be it."

The reason Larkin is not with the reds is because of John Allen, the pres. of the reds. Larkin would go over his head, and would have meetings with the owner of the team (Carl Linder) and Allen did not like that. Also, Allen wanted Larkin gone last year, and was not happy that Larkin wrangled public support, making the reds look bad until they gave him a new contract.

If Larkin had any say in matter he would be the shortstop for Cincy now, and if he had any say in the matter of his office job then he would be in the front office right now.