TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
strummer

Big Show Rips Lesnar

33, actually. I only know that because he was 24 when he won his first WCW World title on 04/22/96.

Which actually makes him the "first" young WORLD CHAMPION, not Randy Orton :D

Guest Trivia247
and yet still watch the tortured sad drugged up Circus Animals perform for you...

I don't quite get your point here. This makes it all okay?

Anyway, I don't enjoy watching people I know are injured. I think Angle should retire because of the damage he's taken. I would rather not be entertained than see a guy paralyzed or worse.

McMahon apparently is willing to take the risk.

Yeah, I know. Angle is crazy and will wrestle with gunshot wounds. McMahon should be caring for his wrestlers when they won't care for themselves. He's been inconsistent with this to say the least.

My point varies

first, Vince is no different than any other promoter out there, how many do we know or heard done underhanded dealings with people. over the history People decided the business mean't more than the employees. I don't see it as often especially since with the lack of competition at the moment there isn't as much demand to really win over the crowds (though they should)

Second, we can complain and be annoyed that people are working out there through pain, or in a semi drugged out state to deal with it. But that doesn't mean they were forced out there by the cattle prod. We don't exactly know why people go out there hurt. There can be many motivations to it. I wouldn't condemn Vince or for that matter insult Big Show going out there hurt, if he feels he can still go, at least not without knowing the facts. Keeping in mind Chris Benoit went out there with a hurt neck at KOTR 2001 and being his last match for a while really performed his heart out for the fans.

3rd, UUI being his usual "I only talk when I can be an asshole to people and can't be called on it hence why im ONLINE" self does have a point in sometimes im not always clear with what I mean and im sorry for that.

People who complain on the product due to the fact they watch a superior one, like PRIDE or which ever like RRR I got no complaints over. Heh I bet Brock Lesnar would be a Total Stiff Monster if he was able to sign on.

As far as too the actual Dang topic, Big Show spoke for himself he shouldn't get shit for it, he went out and wrestle hurt, because it was his decision and Brock left for his own motivations, wheither was the right decision for the company didn't play a part in his mind but what was right for himself. Which is all good as I said before, just sometimes he will have to think of those that he left in a lurch or what state he left the company in.

I don't think the government has any business sticking their noses into private organizations. There is already too much of that going on. The point is that you don't have to work for WWE if you don't want to. You don't like the health care, or lack thereof, then leave.

The big problem is that WWE is the only promotion in the US that a wrestler can work for full-time and also make a living. If there more full-time options out there, especially ones that didn't require as much drug use, because that part of wrestling will always exist, then things might be a little better.

Yeah, a union. That's all they need.

And to be fair, it's unreal to expect to make a living on pro wrestling for the rest of your life, unless you are one of the priveleged few. And if I am not mistaken, WWE paid for people like Benoit and Edge to have neck surgery.

Not only that, but why can't each individual wrestler sign up for their own health care? You don't have to get health care from your place of employment, after all.

As for Trivia's comment that was apparently incomprehensible by somebody, I believe he meant that people bitch about the wrestlers' alleged poor treatment, yet perpetuate it by tuning on in to Raw and SD every week.

What's with all the guys STILL claiming Big Show is being wasted? He's fucking murdering everyone these days and has been since his last return. He has been put over STRONG by three guys at a time and will take a place in the fucking main event of the next PPV. The guy is doing incredibly well considering how he was used in 01-02.

Guest commie_050
Yeah, a union. That's all they need.

And to be fair, it's unreal to expect to make a living on pro wrestling for the rest of your life, unless you are one of the priveleged few. And if I am not mistaken, WWE paid for people like Benoit and Edge to have neck surgery.

Not only that, but why can't each individual wrestler sign up for their own health care? You don't have to get health care from your place of employment, after all.

As for Trivia's comment that was apparently incomprehensible by somebody, I believe he meant that people bitch about the wrestlers' alleged poor treatment, yet perpetuate it by tuning on in to Raw and SD every week.

Right, god forbid wrestlers get the same basic protections that any employee at a major corporation would get. How about, for starters, a pension plan for later in life? Ever wonder why so many washed up wrestlers are still kicking around the indy scene? Hint: it ain't the glory.

If it's unreal to make a living on pro wrestling, why do wrestlers have schedules that pretty much rule out a secondary income. Yes, they make a pretty decent downside guarantee, but taxes and travel expenses can widdle that down substantially. As a I recall from his book, Mick Foley, considered one of the most frugal and responsible wrestlers out there, wasn't completely satisfied with his savings until business shot through the roof in 1999. At that point, he had been wrestling for some 12 or 13 years. Business is not at that level anymore, but the travel schedule is just as demanding.

The pressure to wrestle hurt has only intensified without any competition. Painkillers and steroids aren't an option in an industry where wrestlers can over in one of two ways: an unrealistically muscular physique and a disregard for one's own well-being.

Yes, I realize the hypocrisy of enjoying wrestling while dwelling on these issues, and its a contradiction I haven't yet resolved. But ignoring that it exists is a recipe for disaster, given the persistence of early deaths in the industry.

The full interview was really good. Cena is really charismatic, as is Show. Line of the night went to Show, as they were talking about how it's great to see Batista becoming successful.

Show: "He's got a Goldberg like intensity...but he can work, too."

Right, god forbid wrestlers get the same basic protections that any employee at a major corporation would get. How about, for starters, a pension plan for later in life? Ever wonder why so many washed up wrestlers are still kicking around the indy scene? Hint: it ain't the glory.

It's a moot point, anyway, since it'll never, ever, ever, ever happen under Vince's watch.

Guest commie_050

It's a moot point, anyway, since it'll never, ever, ever, ever happen under Vince's watch.

I know, that's the depressing part. At least during the Monday NightWars there was the possibility of mass defection if the topic was broacher and Vince vetoed it. If the main eventers at that time had stood up, I think changes could have been made. Now, its unlikely at best.

I think this all boils down to the fact that Brock just doesn't really like or enjoy pro-wrestling. IMO, fans want the workers to feel the same passion they have for the business. People killed Goldberg for years for the same thing.

<<If it's unreal to make a living on pro wrestling, why do wrestlers have schedules that pretty much rule out a secondary income.>>

That's the whole point. You must quit. If Beyond the Mat is to be believed, and Spike Dudley's own words are to be believed, then he used to be a teacher. He said wrestling is what he loves to do. So he can "suffer" to do what he loves or he can quit and do something else.

Not financially viable for most guys. Pro-wrestling is classified as an extreme high-risk occupation by health care/insurance agencys, pretty much untouchable because they're guaranteed to lose money dealing with guys that are hurt so often, and the premiums are so high for the wrestlers to compensate for that that it just isn't an option until someone has a large nest egg, which your average wrestler will never have. That's why Hennig is considered a genius, because he saved his money early on, got the Lloyds of London policy, then milked it for everything it was worth until WCW threw a huge contract his way.

for your average up and coming wrestler health insurance is out of the question, and if you're lucky enough to get a job with McMahon you cross your fingers that he takes care of you. To his credit, most of the time he does (Droz, Nowinski for example), but you know, it's a risky business, no sure things, and McMahon isn't offering guaranteed health coverage for the same reason insurance companys aren't jumping to do business with wrestlers, it's bad business...

This is basically the main reason why wrestlers need a union, but with the current climate, the chances of it happening are less than it ever was. Even the most vocal champions of the idea, Ventura and Piper, have given up and danced with the devil again. Sammartino is the only notable hold out in terms of sticking by his stance on the issue.

I should have known that, because I wrote an article for a motorcycle magazine about some HMO's flat out denying coverge to people who ride bikes or even horses.

But there is some way to get health coverage, I can guarantee it. Your premiums may be high, but that is warranted, given the profession.

I really hate the idea of unions because they have literally ruined companies and half the time the unions themselves screw the workers more than the company they work for had allegedly been screwing them.

Well, unions often get greedy, they take a cue from the employers, get a chip on their shoulder, and it becomes push v. shove with both sides getting mad stubborn over simple issues.

I won't get into the whole history of worker unions in this country dating back to the industrial revolution, but rest assured that they are a "necessary evil" to keep the playing field level, in all professions.

Well, unions often get greedy, they take a cue from the employers, get a chip on their shoulder, and it becomes push v. shove with both sides getting mad stubborn over simple issues.

I won't get into the whole history of worker unions in this country dating back to the industrial revolution, but rest assured that they are a "necessary evil" to keep the playing field level, in all professions.

Disagreement. They are against true economic freedom, a little something we call capitalism. You can slice it and dice it any which way you want, but they use pressure -- sometimes ridiculously -- to get what they want. I am so happy that Wal-Mart said "Fuck you" to that union in Canada and are closing down the store. Now the white-sockers don't even have a job.

All this coming from Big Show, who being a clumsy oaf broke Brock's rib that could have killed the young star. It also got Show a 2nd world title reign so if anything he should be grateful for having the strap again instead of just being flavor of the month for Lesnar.

With that said:

I still think this is some sort of elaborate work to set up another Lesnar / Show feud should Brock return.

Re: People being mad at Lesnar for leaving

Seeing how Lesnar left since he didn't want to job back to the Undertaker for the sole purpose of keeping Undertaker's character strong, The Dead Man did NOT go on to win the WWE Championship so I don't blame Brock for wanting to keep his character intact.

I'm not a fan of the Big Show but i do admit that he is more entertaining to watch nowadays and just the fact that he has matured as an individual so much since he first joined up the WWF/E. And just like he said WWE is better off w/o baby Huey Lesnar.

Guest jumpingbombangel
Too many people are acting like Evil Snidely Brock Lesner left Kindly Old Mr. McMahon who ran the local animal rescue shelter.

Or that because the other wrestlers eat shit every day, a person who decides to try something else is the problem, rather than the organization itself.

Sometimes I think Hogan had it right. Bend McMahon over and fuck him as many times as you can, before he finds a way to do it to you.

Brock Lesnar is an idiot who never should have been a pro-wrestler if he didn't study up on the business and learn that it's a shady, smutty, smarmy world that'll chew you up...no matter how hard you're pushed. Now exactly *how* long has wrestling been this way, again...? How in the world he expected things to be different for him, I have no idea.

Doesn't anyone do any homework on the offered position before accepting the job anymore? No one reads the contract except for the dollar amount before they sign it? So many know already that pro-wrestling is shady and unfair, so why should I feel sorry for Brock?

Brock stepped into a mud puddle and got splashed, and now he's pissed at the mud puddle. Unless he plans on making big changes and singlehandedly cleaning up wrestling, to hell with him.

Is this the wrong time to point out that Brock was in the process of being buried around the time he left?

LOL, him getting "buried" is nothing compared to what Jericho and RVD have been going through all these years.

Disagreement. They are against true economic freedom, a little something we call capitalism. You can slice it and dice it any which way you want, but they use pressure -- sometimes ridiculously -- to get what they want.

LMAO, and employers don't do the same? Why do you think unions have to exert pressure in the first place, it's a give and take relationship. They're there to level the playing field and provide for checks and balances, to keep things fair for both sides. Like I said, sometimes unions can overstep their bounds and get greedy, but they pay for it, and the same can be said of employers. True economic freedom doesn't entitle exmployers to take advantage of their workers, which is where the need for unions came from in the first place, shit treatment of workers and shit labor laws. Walmart is notoriously one of the worst places of employment and a socio-economic disaster, funny you should bring them up.

anyway, I wish Lesnar would just go play football in Europe, f'n crybaby

I think they are more pissed he walked while getting top treatment to go play football than that he actually walked out.

Others without private jets who instead fly in coach because they aren't main eventers....

People that do not receive 7 figure guaranteed salaries and instead are asked to take a paycut when business is down...

People have not received title runs, promotional spots and royalties and work injured because they know they are unlikely to get time off even if they asked for it, so instead have to sit down, shut up and deal with it...

People frown upon someone threatening to silence anyone talking to internet sites to maintain backstage secrecy one month and then leaving the next...

who dislike those that declare their wrestling days over before trying to come back and then suing the company he walked out on of his own volition because he was tired of the schedule they all have to work for less pay and priviledges....

These kinds of people probably don't want Brock back.

It may come down to jealousy over his spot, but given how cushy it was and the fact he still walked, you can't blame the guys earning less than 1/5th of Brock's salary, who have to deal with much more, for being pissed at him.

He left, failed, came back, not humbled but instead making demands despite the fact he had no other options because of the no compete clause he signed, and is now suing the company that made him who he is and able to live the life he does because he wants to go to Japan rather than work the schedules everyone else in the lockerroom, except Flair, does.

Show is hardly Mr Workrate or a soft touch, but his opinion is understandable if he sacrificed his own continued health for Brock and after Brock left because of the void left by his absence. I know I'd be pissed if I was on painkillers with a bum leg having to take bumps, lift and run for two months because my co-worker decided he wanted to play football.

I wish Lesnar would just go play football in Europe

It will never happen, not enough money or status and he doesn't actually want to play football that much. Apparently the Vikings tried to refer him to coaches of other teams in Europe but Brock never bothered to try contact them. He'd have to move, accept a money offer under 100k, work hard to even attain the level of the European league, probably have to sell his jet and estates in the USA... so, never it is.