TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Midway Arcade Treasures 3

Midway today announced that Midway Arcade Treasures 3 is headed to the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and GameCube. All three versions are scheduled for a fall 2005 release and will retail for $19.99.

The compilation is being developed internally and will feature eight racing classics from Midway's coin-op days. The collection will allow gamers to post high scores via Xbox Live.

"Midway Arcade Treasures 3 provides the same, classic feel as the previous two Midway Arcade Treasures installments while bringing back several of the most popular racing games in the industry's history to today's next-generation consoles," said Steve Allison, Midway's chief marketing officer.

The games included in the collection are as follows:

• Badlands

• Hydro Thunder

• Off Road Thunder: Mud, Sweat 'N Gears

• Race Drivin'

• San Francisco Rush The Rock: Alcatraz Edition

• San Francisco Rush 2049

• S.T.U.N. Runner

• Super Off Road & Bonus Tracks Pack

This is the third compilation in the Midway Arcade Treasures series that has revived retro and classic games from Midway's early years. The internally developed Midway Arcade Treasures was released in November 2003 and featured Joust, Paperboy, Spy Hunter, Defender, Gauntlet, and others. Midway Arcade Treasures 2 was developed by Backbone and featured Arch Rivals, Gauntlet 2, Rampage World Tour, and more when it was released in October of 2004.

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/driving/m...ws_6118686.html

Eight games? That's kind of lame, but understandable given the size of some of these late 90's games. I'll buy it just for STUN Runner.

Guest sek69

I wonder, is this still just poorly translated MAME roms slapped on one disc or has Midway actually got some quality control now?

That collection has all the "oomph" of the last bits of air escaping from a whoopie cushion.

The strength of the first collection was in its variety of games. MAT2 suffered a little in that respect, with its main draws being fighting games, but still had plenty of goodies.

Aside from Stun Runner--which that cut from the 2nd collection to make this one more appealing, it's a pretty weak collection.

Then again, Hydro Thunder is pretty damn good. It's only about 5 bucks used these days, though, so its inclusion is nice but hardly justifies a purchase.

Midway....quality control

HAHAHAHA!!

Come on, these guys were friggin' TIGHT with Acclaim and had similar QC policies.

Hard Drivin' was full of problems......I have little faith in this collection. I was wishing for NBA Jam or Gauntlet Legends or Blitz not racing games.

Hard Drivin' was full of problems......I have little faith in this collection. I was wishing for NBA Jam or Gauntlet Legends or Blitz not racing games.

Well, they couldn't do Blitz/Jam because of licensing issues.

Gauntlet Legends is a very easily-found cheap game. Since they're making a *new* Gauntlet game, they may throw it into that one as a bonus, too.

Why are all these arcade collections always so damn lame? No matter how many games they cram on there (usually far less than they could actually fit on modern software), there's never more than a couple that I'd actually want to play, and usually I've never even heard of half of them.

Guest sek69

I bought volume 2 just for MK 2-3, which was fine, but the rest of the crap on the disc was HORRID. Primal Rage was a fun game to play in the arcade when there was too many people crowded around the MK units, and it's just a mess on volume 2. It's embarrassing that any company would release something as shoddy as some of the games on that collection.

What I don't get is why Midway would release the Mortal Kombat games on this Arcade Treasures disk style and not just go the route Capcom did with Street Fighter and Megaman by making a Mortal Kombat Kollection (you know that's how they'd spell it if they actually made the game.)

MK 1, 2, 3 (The final version of three they decided on), 4, and I'm sure they could find something else to put on it.

What I don't get is why Midway would release the Mortal Kombat games on this Arcade Treasures disk style and not just go the route Capcom did with Street Fighter and Megaman by making a Mortal Kombat Kollection (you know that's how they'd spell it if they actually made the game.)

MK 1, 2, 3 (The final version of three they decided on), 4, and I'm sure they could find something else to put on it.

Mythologies: Sub-Zero! Or maybe even Special Forces!

Guest sek69

A disc containing MK 1, MK 2, MK 3, UMK3, MK Trilogy, and MK 4 would certainly rule the school.

Primal Rage was a fun game to play in the arcade when there was too many people crowded around the MK units, and it's just a mess on volume 2.

Don't be hatting Chaos and his golden shower abilities.

I want arcade not N64 version with bonus levels.

Aside from the "Generals" and those purple monsters, Dark Legacy on the PS2 was pretty much the same as the arcade (if memory serves, anyway)...

A disc containing MK 1, MK 2, MK 3, UMK3, MK Trilogy, and MK 4 would certainly rule the school.

You forgot Mortal Kombat Gold.

I mean, if you're going to include all the versions of Mortal Kombat 3, you might as well include the alternate version of Mortal Kombat 4.

The game is "being developed" - the list might not be final.

Either way, I haven't played ANY of those games, so unless something better gets added, Arcade Treasures 2 is where my collection will end. ;)

You forgot Mortal Kombat Gold.

I mean, if you're going to include all the versions of Mortal Kombat 3, you might as well include the alternate version of Mortal Kombat 4.

If they'd do Gold, it would be worth picking up if they'd fix the bugs in it.

Plus, I could *never* get the cheat codes to play as the secret characters right for MKGold. It's like every single place where they published the code was incorrect. I entered it *damn* fast too, so I don't know why it never worked for me.

Trilogy made owning any other version of MK3 redundant, but you need the GH version because the original PS1 one is buggy as hell as well. However, the GH version will not work properly on a PS2 (goes to a black screen when you should go to Kahn's treasures).

I'll take the SNES version over MAT2 MK2. Sure, it's damn purty for a 2D game even today, but the Smoke code is screwed and the difficulty settings are all out of whack.