TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

MVP Baseball and ESPN MLB released early

so okay, I'm not set up for online play and with that being said, I should get MVP rather than 2K5...is that what you guys are saying? hell 10 extra bucks ain't shit, I just know I enjoyed the football and basketball 2K5 games...

Definitely. MVP's better overall period, so even factoring in online play, I'd go with MVP if I had to choose one.

MLB 2K5 is better as far as online play, presentation, and extras (Skybox stuff) go, and it is a fun game in its own right, but MVP is the better game in most respects as far as I am concerned. That's coming from a guy who prefers the 2K sports games to EA's 9 times out of 10.

Still, there's no accounting for taste. It seems that just as many people prefer MLB as do MVP. If you only plan on buying one game, I'd suggest renting them first. That way, you won't end up regretting your decision.

Also, for anyone who plans on picking up MLB 2K5, it'll be on sale for $14.99 beginning Sunday at Circuit City.

Guest LooneyTune

I haven't bought an MLB Game in quite a few years (never was interested enough, but I couldn't resist the $20 tag), but I really enjoyed this so far.

I no longer can rely on throwing fastballs all the time, because when I did that, Boston beat my ass 15-1 (I was using Pittsburgh) and hit like 9 home runs. (Exhibition game)

Guest Failed Mascot

Well I found last night that the Fenway Glitch is still there. I hit a ball to Left center and in that little niche was where the ball landed. The CFer ran into the wall and kept running into it while the LFer looked on. I took the double and waited for the game to fix itself.

They probably have it so the fielder takes the shortest possible straight line paths to the ball and thus why it happens.

I've played a few games of MVP over the last couple days after setting it aside for some MLB 2K5 (which I still don't much care for) and a return to Halo 2 online after 2 weeks.

I'm now 13-5, tied with the Athletics (with whom I have a 3 game series after one more game with KC) and Cubs for the best record in the majors. The A's series will be tough as they are averaging 6 runs per game to my 3 or so.

I just finished a 2-0 victory over the Royals. Jose Contreras pitched a 2 hitter, the first complete game of the season by any of my pitchers. I was tempted to put in Shingo Takatsu so he could go for his 10th save in I believe 11 tries, but I let Contreras go the distance instead.

I realized for the first time that the position players get tired and need a day off every once in a while. Some guys had energy as low as 69%. So for this game, I had a ragtag lineup including Carl Everett replacing the .333 hitting Willie Harris at 2nd base/leadoff, Ben Davis replacing A.J. Pierzynski, who was coming off a 2 homer game, at catcher (since AJ's a lefty and we were facing a lefty pitcher), and the just-created #37, Matt Young, replacing Scott Podsednik in center field.

My created guy went 1 for 4, but I'm going to give him about 3-4 more games for evaluation before I decide whether to keep him on the squad or demote him to the minors for further development.

Paul Konerko has been in a horrible slump, having several 0-fers lately. His average is down to .181. I moved him down to 6th in the order as a result (from cleanup) and he went 1 for 4, but that 1 hit was a home run. Go figure.

After a couple more games (should be tonight or tomorrow), I'll be 1/8th of the way through my season. I plan to be a quarter of the way through before the real MLB season starts, and I hope that this game will be the first non-football game that I finish a full length season on. I'd like to play at least 2, but at 162 games and with all the other titles I have (plus Xbox Live) occupying my time, I don't know if I'll ever finish.

Guest Failed Mascot

I have the Red Sox at 19-12 now while playing on the All Star difficulty. Manny is slumping for me. He's hitting around .270 with 5 homers. Still walks a good amount though so his OBP is up there. David Ortiz is carrying my ass with 8 homers and an average of around .370 going into May.

Guest Failed Mascot

I also traded Matt Mantei to the Tigers for Al Levine since Mantei's 97mph gas was getting tagged into the stands often. Levine for 100K more has been a great 8th inning guy for me.

Have you actually played all those games? That's quite a few for only having it for 6 days. But I guess it wouldn't be too difficult if you were playing daily and not spending a lot of time with other games.

Also, which do you like better? MLB or MVP?

Do you play either online? I know I'm not exactly your favorite person, but I've barely played either game on Live and I need some competition. That goes for the rest of you as well. I want some online play.

It's too bad most people here don't own MLB 2K5, because it'd be cool to get a league or at least a tournament going. I guess we could do a league with MVP, but wins and losses would have to be kept track of on the board or another site since there is no league system in MVP. If we did do that, though, we could play unranked games so that they could go the full 9 innings, if that's what people would like.

Guest Failed Mascot
Have you actually played all those games? That's quite a few for only having it for 6 days. But I guess it wouldn't be too difficult if you were playing daily and not spending a lot of time with other games.

Also, which do you like better? MLB or MVP?

Do you play either online? I know I'm not exactly your favorite person, but I've barely played either game on Live and I need some competition. That goes for the rest of you as well. I want some online play.

yes I have. Only other games I have to give competition are Splinter Cell: Pandora Tommorow(which I haven't really done anything on except the training so I'll give it awhile), and Morrowind which I've already played. Oh, and about 8 N64 games I picked up on the cheap if you count those too.

I don't have X-Box Live either. No job, no online play. One day I will though...hopefully by the time the new Madden comes out I'll be online.

And MVP is better than the ESPN title, but the ESPN Title's presentation is better(as in the announcing, and the K-Zone showing, etc).

Ok guys, I picked up MLB 2K5 the other day, and I'm FINALLY getting used to it. I found it REALLY hard to get used to the batting style at first, but now as I play a little more, its coming a bit easier.

Anyways, I started a Season with the Yanks last night, and I played my first game against Toronto and won. Randy Johnson was stellar. But now, I go to play the 2nd game of the series and who do I have pitching this game? Randy Johnson AGAIN?

Now, is there a Pitching Rotation option or something I don't know about, or do you have to set your rotation as you go, whats the deal? I mean, I simply subbed him out after one batter and put in Wright, but I dont wanna have to do that EVERY game.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

MVP Baseball 2005 will be on sale for $19.99 beginning Sunday, March 13th, at Toys R Us.

Man, I could've saved $15 if I had waited to get both baseball games. Oh well... I've had too much fun with MVP to have waited.

Shit. Does anyone know how to stop a baserunner in his tracks? They had it last year, and on the GCN you had to press Z+B or A to stop a baserunner in the middle of the basepath. It doesn't seem to work in this year's version. I hate having the CPU control when I tag up and how far I veer off the basepaths on a bloop hit.

Guest Evolution
MVP Baseball 2005 will be on sale for $19.99 beginning Sunday, March 13th, at Toys R Us.

Is this definitely for sure? I tried checking on ToysRUs.com but that's all fucked.

If this is a in-store deal, then I'm definitely getting it.

Apparently, I was wrong. The game was on sale for that price at TRU last week.

This week, MLB 2K5 is $14.99 at Circuit City, while MVP Baseball is a mere $19.99 at Toys R Us.

MVP for $19.99>>>>>>>>>>>MLB for $14.99.

Guest Evolution

Indeed, there is a Santa Claus after all, as I managed to get MVP Baseball 2005 for $20 without having to wait until MVP Baseball 2006.

I also noticed how old-school my Toys 'R' Us is. The Pepsi fridge near the front lanes had an ad for the "Quick Slam" Pepsi, back when 20 oz. bottles were a huge thing.

So, in MVP I did an owner mode with the Nationals. It was too easy.

Took me five years to build a team that won the WS five years in a row.

built the team around Aramis Ramirez, Carl Crawford, Rich Harden, and Zack Grienke.

Then I went traded Christian Guzman and others away for this SS in the draft who was already at all 60s for power and contact, plus a better fielder with more durability.

The guy is ungodly now.

And I finally picked up an aging Gagne as my closer. The year is like 2013.

Apparently, I was wrong. The game was on sale for that price at TRU last week.

This week, MLB 2K5 is $14.99 at Circuit City, while MVP Baseball is a mere $19.99 at Toys R Us.

MVP for $19.99>>>>>>>>>>>MLB for $14.99.

I made a mistake in that post. I said that I was wrong and MVP was on sale at TRU. I thought that I had previously stated that MLB was on sale at TRU. So basically I didn't need to correct anything and I just repeated myself. I feel dumb.

Oh well... As long as you guys that want MVP get it at 2/3 the price, that's what matters.

I actually haven't played MVP really for 4 days because I had a busy weekend and I've been playing other games. I've played a couple league games on MLB 2K5 and really enjoyed doing so. It's crazy how much I despise MLB offline compared to how much I enjoy it online.

I guess I technically ended up paying a full $50 for the perfect baseball game- $30 for MVP and its excellent 1 player franchise mode (along with other modes) since its online mode is 5 innings and very laggy, and $20 for MLB solely for the excellent online mode with leagues, since I can barely trudge through 1 single game offline.

So I trade a pair of relievers to Pittsburgh for Oliver Perez. While the Pirates are in town. What a heelish move.

Whoa, the Cubs fleece the Pirates for talent mid-season? MVP is a better sim of baseball than I initially thought.