TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

MVP Baseball and ESPN MLB released early

I decided to create my own ballpark

SACRILEGE

My lineups are always changing because I have the wonderful dilemma of three great left fielders: Dubois, Hairston, Hollandsworth. Here's my defensive alignment though, and that's what matters because I can't hit for shit.

Left field: those guys

Center field: Corey Patterson

Right field: Jeromy Burnitz

1st base: Derrek Lee

2nd base: Todd Walker

Shortstop: Nomar Garciaparra

3rd base: Aramis Ramirez

Catchers: Michael Barrett, Henry Blanco for Greg Maddux and when Barrett is tired

Utility: Jose Macias, Neifi Perez

Pitching staff:

Starters: Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Carlos Zambrano, Greg Maddux, Glendon Rusch

Long relief: Sergio Mitre, Roberto Novoa

Middle relief: Mike Remlinger, Jon Leicester, Ryan Dempster

Set-up: LaTroy Hawkins

Closer: Joe Borowski

Prior is going for 9-0 with a really low ERA I can't remember. Cubs are 34-13 I think

Yeah, not only that, but the ball is incredibly hard to pick up because of everything that's in centerfield. I'm going nuts hitting when I don't sim the games.

I may wind up scrapping it yet again, restarting, but this time, with the actual Cubs team and at Wrigley.

Guest Failed Mascot

The only problems with ESPN that I've encountered is they tell you to stay tuned for Baseball Tonight and there isn't any. Considering I have it for the X-Box I would think there would be a Baseball Tonight type thing since there's an NFL Primetime in NFL 2K5.

Also the people look weird when they make contact with the ball...but whatever. Its a great game and only $20 so people should trade in MVP and get it.

Guest MikeSC

Legit question: Is franchise mode a waste in baseball or basketball sims? The season is incredibly long and what are the odds of somebody playing through multiple seasons?

-=Mike

I went through two complete seasons in MVP '04. I played most of the games, but I usually simmed every third (or fourth) game of a series, and simmed (or played in Manager mode) entire series against teams like the Devil Rays and Blue Jays towards the end. When I clinched the division, I just simmed the rest of the season.

That seems to be the best way to go at things. I know some people that would sim entire months (or seasons even, so they can just do the GM stuff)

Guest MikeSC
That was a typo. ESPN is filled with hugs.

I feel warm and fuzzy feeling that.

I also have a nasty flu bug, but I'm sure it's the good feelings I feel now.

-=Mike

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

every ESPN game since Dreamcast is filled with bugs, but they still rox sox.

I just finished the 7th game of my Owner's Mode franchise with the White Sox (although it's game #20-something overall, the others being exhibition). I had my first ever blowout, crushing the Indians in the first game of a 3 game set at Jacobs Field, 15-1. I only allowed one hit, a homer to .100-hitting Aaron Boone of all people, with Freddy Garcia.

My best player, Paul Konerko, went 0-for-5, but everyone else picked up the slack. Juan Uribe hit his 2nd and 3rd homers of the season, and Willie Harris and previously sub-.100 hitting Joe Crede (who went 3 for 5 and raised his average 100 points) even knocked out a 3 run shot. Frank Thomas hit a double off the top of the wall.

So now I'm 5-2 and in still tied for first place in the AL Central. Every game has been very close except for the last one:

1. Beat Cleveland 3-1

2. Beat Cleveland 3-2

3. Lost to Cleveland 3-0

4. Beat Minnesota 2-1

5, Beat Minnesota 3-2

6. Lost to Minnesota 3-1

Overall, I love this game very much. I still want to get ESPN soon, though. I was skeptical after last year's horrible entry into the series, but I've heard good things. I guess I'll have to wait on either Tiger Woods or Street Fighter Anniversary collection since both are $30 and I can't get both along with ESPN MLB.

Oh yeah, as for the sim talk, I enjoy simming seasons at times on sports games, but I can't sim parts and play the rest. I have to either sim every game or play every game. I do, however, sim 99% of minor league games in MVP.

Oh, nobody plays minor league games on MVP. Who thought it would be a good idea to add Single-A? Nothing more annoying than having to fix a bunch of rosters because some ridiculous computer-made character, like a big black man named Tony Suzuki, gets injured.

my problem with MVP 2004 is that none of my minor leaguers ever panned out and stepped up to the major league level and I got tired of wasting time trying to keep those bozos happy...

Either pitching is tougher in this game or I just absolutely suck at hitting because of the lower strike zone. I'm thinking it's a mix of both, as it's much harder to hit than MVP 2004. My pitching is immaculate, but my hitting is abysmal. I'm finding myself very impatient when hitting, too, which obviously isn't helping.

What's everyone's average number of pitches thrown by opposing pitcher? And is anyone else having more trouble hitting in this game as opposed to last year's? It's getting to be really frustrating.

Hitting is way harder this year. Which is good. I rarely drew walks in last years game, opting to swing away as the cpu rarely threw anything outside. This year, I'm taking alot more pitches and waiting on my pitch until I get to two strikes where I expand my zone. I love that I can foul off multiple pitches this time around. It's kept many an at-bat alive for me.

Giants won the west in my first Dynasty season. Beat the Marlins in the Division Series (where Benitez blew the first save opportunity he had) before losing to the Reds (yes, the REDS) in the NLCS.

Either pitching is tougher in this game or I just absolutely suck at hitting because of the lower strike zone. I'm thinking it's a mix of both, as it's much harder to hit than MVP 2004. My pitching is immaculate, but my hitting is abysmal. I'm finding myself very impatient when hitting, too, which obviously isn't helping.

What's everyone's average number of pitches thrown by opposing pitcher? And is anyone else having more trouble hitting in this game as opposed to last year's? It's getting to be really frustrating.

Oh totally. I don't know if there's a statistic for it, but I've gotta lead the majors in hitting into double plays. I'm thinking four times a game. It's my starting and closing pitching that keeps me alive: my lineup doesn't hit well and my middle relief sans Remlinger is horrid. Mitre, Leicester, Dempster, all have 5+ ERAs.

I'm hitting into a lot of double-plays, too. Seems like if I get a guy on base (which can be a rarity in itself), the next guy grounds into a DP. I guess I could credit it with the game being so realistic that the pitcher is wisely throwing pitches that'll induce a DP. Still frustrating.

At the moment, I'm playing on Pro and finding that to be difficult. Not for pitching (as I said before, my pitching is amazing at this level), but the hitting still has a way to go. I won a pair against the Pirates last night and this morning, once beating Smoltz. They were both nail-biters, but I managed to edge them out both times.

In addition to the less accurate pitches, I find the pitchers are throwing many more off-speed pitches, and that virtually every pitcher in the game has a NASTY slider or curveball. Still, it makes it that much more gratifying when you connect. I hit a two-run bomb off a nasty Smoltz slider with Blalock that sent the ball nearly 500 feet into the water.

Guest Failed Mascot

If I remember correctly Bruiser built his own park for the Cubs...he must have built the stadium next to a swimming pool company though if its in Chicago.

Who and where are you that Hank Blalock is hitting off John Smoltz into water?

I did the fantasy draft, so Smoltz is a member of the Pirates in my Owner's Mode and I've got Blalock playing third for me. We were in Pittsburgh when I hit the bomb in right field.