Top 5 Lineups In the AL

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...yson&id=1999463

Jayson Starks' list...

1. Boston

2. New York

3. Anaheim

4. Texas

5. Cleveland

And here is my list of all 14 AL lineups...

1. New York

2. Boston

3. Oakland

4. Baltimore

5. Seattle

6. Cleveland

7. Texas

8. Detroit

9. Minnesota

10. Anaheim

11. Tampa Bay

12. Chicago

13. Toronto

14. Kansas City

I cannot emphasize enough how overrated Anaheim's lineup is this season. Darin Erstad is the worst hitting first baseman in the American League. Orlando Cabrera isn't much of a hitter, and neither is Bengie Molina. Only Vlad Guerrero is really a star amongst this group.

Seattle will surprise alot of people, because their new acquisitions (Adrian Beltre, Richie Sexson) will replace guys who could not hit at all. Kansas City would jump ahead of Toronto if they let Calvin Pickering hit. A half-decent DH would push Texas into the top 5.

Why New York over Boston?

Jeter

A-Guez

Williams

Tino

Sheff

Posada

Womack

Matsui

Giambi?

Damon

Renteria

Manny

Papi

Tek

Mueller

Millar

Nixon

Bellhorn

I used projected VORP (Value over replacement player) from Baseball Prospectus to rate the 9 players from each lineup, and totaled them. I'll list the numbers and let you see for yourself...

Posada (39.5)

Varitek (27.8)

Martinez (15.8)

Millar (18.9)

Womack (5.6)

Bellhorn (31.8)

Jeter (46.6)

Renteria (37.7)

Rodriguez (60.3)

Mueller (18.6)

Matsui (33.8)

Ramirez (55.5)

Williams (27.9)

Damon (33.8)

Sheffield (49.9)

Nixon (20.5)

Giambi (26.5)

Ortiz (46.9)

Yankees (305.9)

Red Sox (291.5)

It is worth noting that the Red Sox' projected bench smokes the Yankees' bench, and if we were to add those totals, the Red Sox would finish better overall. In addition, if Giambi does not pan out, replacing him with Ruben Sierra would place the Yankees below the Red Sox.

I think the Sox do have a better lineup. The Sox line up is more balanced than the Yanks. The top five is really a draw, but I take Millar, Muller and Bellhorn over Bernie, Tino and Wolmack.

Question, Al. How has the Twins' W-L record been over the past few seasons compared to their pythagorean W-L? Also, their roster is usually down around seven or eight on the list, so I'm wondering if the Twins' manager is very good or if the managers of other AL Central franchises are just very bad.

Finally, do you really think that the Twins will finish behind both the Indians and the Tigers this year?

Question, Al. How has the Twins' W-L record been over the past few seasons compared to their pythagorean W-L? Also, their roster is usually down around seven or eight on the list, so I'm wondering if the Twins' manager is very good or if the managers of other AL Central franchises are just very bad.

Finally, do you really think that the Twins will finish behind both the Indians and the Tigers this year?

It's because they play in Comedy Central (credit to whoever came up with the term). Twins will likely finish either 1st or 2nd. I dont see both Cleveland AND Detroit passing Minnesota. Maybe 1 or the other, but not both.

Guest LooneyTune

Wait... so Tino Martinez is going to be the starting 1st basemen and Giambi at DH, or is Giambi and Martinez splitting time at 1st, and Giambi/Sierra splitting time at DH?

Either way... the lineups are pretty even.

Guest Failed Mascot

Boston's line-up is more balanced and thus better overall. This is one case where your numbers thing doesn't work because they get alot of it from 2 or 3 players, where-as Boston can hurt you right down the line.

You mean Jeter, Rodriguez, Sheffield, Matsui, Williams, Posada, Tino, and a healthy Giambi isn't enough? I'd call that down the line too.

Guest Failed Mascot

Roidambi is crap and Tino is nearing his end of days. The Yankees line-up is solid maybe 1-5. The Red Sox are solid 1-9.

They led the league in offense last year again and UPGRADED it this off-season. What more do you want from them?

Giambi was dying last year. You could tell. This year he looks like he's beefed up, so he should get more hits, and he draws tons of walks. Tino posted a .362 OPB in a Devil Ray lineup. He'll get a shitload of more fastballs this year in the Yankee lineup. Same thing goes for Womack, who'll have Jeter, and A-Rod behind him. Heck, A-Rod even had an off year last year.

Guest Failed Mascot

So Giambi will be a better hitter because he weighs more? His numbers have been steadily declining the past 4 seasons.

A-Rod didn't have an off-year. That's what you're going to get from him playing half his games in Yankee Stadium which is hardly the hitter's haven compared to the Ballpark in Arlington.

Tino is on the decline. You should worry that his glove holds up as that's what he was brought in for.

Womack is crap. He'll be the #9 hitter most likely, but if he does lead off I'll laugh hysterically everytime he strikes out trying to send the ball into the bleachers or when he slaps the ball to second and gets thrown out. Womack would be a good bench player who can give you speed off the bench and an ok glove at second if forced to stay in the game. He should not be starting.

Didn't A-Rod play at Saefco and put up monster numbers? He had an off year.

Giambi you could tell was in no way shape or form healthy enough to play. He looks better this year, and I don't expect an MVP caliber year, but he shouldn't be anywhere close to last year either.

Tino put up decent numbers last year, and I expect him to do the same in a better lineup; same thing goes for Womack who didn't have a horrible year last year either. You're making it sound like both of them had years where they hit like .240 with like 5 HRs.

And it's not like everyone in your lineup is healthy either. Nixon has a bad back, and Mueller just had knee surgery.

Guest Failed Mascot

Again, Giambi's numbers have been declining for 4 YEARS now. Fastballs up and in just end him. He doesn't have a great eye anymore nor does he have his syringe full of talent.

I can't answer the Safeco question because I don't remember when it opened.

Womack showed in the World Series that he was a product of NL style ball which is speed and smallball. The AL is OBP and Extra-Base hits. Womack is not better than Cairo. Tino is at a stage where players decline every year with the exception of a few. He WAS a very good player but age is starting to catch up to him and he won't be facing Frisbee Kim either (hopefully).

As for Nixon his back and hamstring are fine. He dropped about 15lbs and took up some stretching program. I don't think it was Yoga but it was something similiar. Mueller had arthroscopic surgery just to drain fluid from the knee. Not a big deal and he's at camp right now and taking grounders ahead of schedule.

Guest LooneyTune

Re The Yankees:

Giambi's career is on the decline, and it won't change. I'm sure he won't be doing a horrible 2004 again (mainly do to illnesses), but he's no longer the monster player he was for Oakland during his run there in the late 90's.

Tino Martinez was never a great player (I'd rank him pretty good in his prime), but he's had a few great years. He's good for a back up, but shouldn't be relied on to come through as a big bat like he was in 1997-98. He's only got a few years left in him, and right now his strong point in the lineup is his glove at 1st, while Giambi's glove is, in short, horrible.

Womack... I don't even know about him, but his numbers aren't too impressive.

The Yankees will again have a pretty good-great 1-6 part of the lineup, but they need to do something for the 7-9, while the Red Sox have been a strong team up and down the lineup, but not the powerhouse team that relies mainly on Home Runs like the Yankees, (Ramirez and Ortiz are the only notable home run hitters from 2004 that I can remember)

Guest Failed Mascot
A Red Sox/Yankees discussion between a Red Sox fan and a Yankee fan, who knew?

Oh my, a subject pertaining to both teams so fans of each team give their opinion. Perish the thought!

A Red Sox/Yankees discussion between a Red Sox fan and a Yankee fan, who knew?

Oh my, a subject pertaining to both teams so fans of each team give their opinion. Perish the thought!

And it's as fun to read as a Stephen A Smith rant.

Guest Failed Mascot

Well then its a good thing nobody is forcing you to read it and you can go in and out of whichever thread you want to. Funny thing about a messageboard is its here for people to discuss things like this.

Well then its a good thing nobody is forcing you to read it and you can go in and out of whichever thread you want to. Funny thing about a messageboard is its here for people to discuss things like this.

At least I got you to stop talking about the BELOVED RED SOX for a few seconds. Mission accomplished. :lol:

Guest LooneyTune

Well the Red Sox are a great team, so like any fans of a team as good as them, the fans have a right to brag about how good their teams are.

Little late chiming in, but I just wanted to say that Baltimore's snub from ESPN's top 5 is ridiculous. I'll give them New York and Boston, but the Orioles are at least equal with Anaheim and certainly better then Texas and CLEVELAND. I mean, where'd that come from?!

I pretty much agree with Al, and would go:

1. New York

2. Boston

3. Baltimore

4. Anaheim

5. Seattle

AL East is full of offense...

Guest LooneyTune

That was 1 season out of a 15 year career. Which is why I said "he's had a few great years". It wasn't that long of a post I don't think, and broken into several paragraphs so people wouldn't get confused.

Tino has been an average player at the plate since 1999, but still has a good glove. Is that dumbed down enough?

Darin Erstad is the worst hitting first baseman in the American League.

Wasn't it only five seasons ago that Darin Erstad was among the top five hitters in the AL?

.355/.409/.541, 25 HR's, 100 RBI, 240 hits, 39 doubles, 121 runs, 366 total bases.

Boy, I remember having him in a Sandbox.com fantasy league, and he was just a point machine.