TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

The Arizona Diamondbacks

With Spring Training games starting this week, and just over a month to go for the season, I thought we'd try a daily topic, covering each team in the span of a month. First up is the Arizona Diamondbacks.

They gave 30 million to a guy who didn't even make the Braves postseason rotation.

With all due respect to Jerry Colengelo:

WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?

Guest Smues

They had a confusing off-season, but they have to be better then last year right?

right?

D-Backs fans should wait until next year. Quentin and Jackson will be in the majors and if they ever sign Drew... they will be in good shape. This year... not so much.

Jesus, we're going to have 30 different topics?! About 2/3 for teams none of us really follow. Well, ok I'll play along and try to contribute to each thread too by posting projected starters with help from CBS sportsline!

PROJECTED LINEUP

1. Jose Cruz Jr. CF

2. Craig Counsell 2B

3. Luis Gonzalez LF

4. Troy Glaus 3B

5. Shawn Green RF

6. Chad Tracy 1B

7. Koyie Hill C

8. Royce Clayton SS

Rotation

1. R. Ortiz

2. B. Webb

3. J. Vazquez

4. S. Estes

5. M. Gosling

Troy Glaus's contract was a big risk, and I look for him to have an injury. Otherwise, it's a decent lineup with Shawn Green and Luis Gonzalez (aging) and a good prospect in Koyie Hill. I don't know about Cruz as a leadoff guy though.

Vazquez is good, and I'm surpised they didn't try to trade him (to Baltimore, preferably!) but he isn't Randy Johnson. Russ Ortiz and his inflated ERA aren't going to do them that good either.

I don't know, it doesn't look like a bad team and they're not in a paticularly tough division but I don't see that big a turnaround from their disastorous 2004.

I'll predict 4th place.

Guest Failed Mascot

alkeiper is stealing ideas from Cold Pizza. Woody Paige is going to be none too happy about this.

Either way the Diamonbacks really overpaid for Russ Ortiz and Glaus. They could have just tried building a pitching staff starting with Vasquez and Webb. Glaus was obviously a panic move when they found out Sexon had no desire to return. They'll finish ahead of the Rockies this year but that's no big accomplishment.

PROJECTED LINEUP

1. Jose Cruz Jr. CF

2. Craig Counsell 2B

3. Luis Gonzalez LF

4. Troy Glaus 3B

5. Shawn Green RF

6. Chad Tracy 1B

7. Koyie Hill C

8. Royce Clayton SS

What about Scott Hairston?

I think it's safe to say that the D-Backs are DOOMED to failure. I wouldn't even be that high on the lineup if the big names could stay healthy, which they can't. I say fuck em, I'm still bitter over 01. They deserve to die, and I hope they burn in hell.

Thanks for Randy Johnson though ;)

I'm totally confused...weren't they in debt? So how the fuck are they spending so much money this off-season!?!!?!

Tom Brennaman was on a local radio show here in SD a while back and Explained the D backs situation. Most of their debt is not players salary but instead Ballpark construction debt. Because it is mostly construction debt they can hold off on paying for it, at least for the immediate future.

He also said that even with all the moves the D backs have made, their payroll is only around 60 million. He said the D backs wanted to have their payroll at 71 million dollars for opening day. This was before they traded for Cruz Jr. so I don't know how close they ended up to 71 million.

Guest Failed Mascot
At least they did not sign Eric Milton for 25 million dollars.

Instead they paid a guy who had worse numbers last year than Milton even more.