TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Hogan/Warrior

Oh man.....

The major problem I have is that people think if they are marks for a wrsetler that the match is good. Hulk Hogan, at his age, is the shits as a worker. Thats not some big slag. Hogan has had good matches before, just not anymore. So you started getting gitty when Hogan Hulks up vs Rock, SO WHAT. The match might be entertaning to you, but it wasnt good. I can tell you that I was a massive Savage mark as a kid. And, watching as a kid, I marked all over his WM IV run. So what, the first three matches blew, and I can very easily say that.

Don't tell me it wasn't good. It was. It wasn't great, I'm not claiming that. BUT, it's a good match. It's better than Triple H/Shawn. It's better than a good few of the MOTYC from WWE in 2002. Seriously, do you realise how ridiculous you sound? Your first sentence is terrible. I mean, just awful. "Hey, I mark for this guy, so I'll just say the match is good" is what you are saying. You'll defend yourself, but there is no defence. I TOLD you why the match was good, and yet you just ignored it and continued making whatever inane argument it is that you're making.

Oh, and Randy Savage sucked in 99.

Hogan-Warrior had a goos finish, IMO. BUt its deathly boring to get there. And, much like alot of overrated shit Austin produced at the tailspin of his carrer, the Hogan-Rock match was predictable and just average.

Shut up. Seriously. SHUT THE FUCK UP. You haven't got a clue about anything. You're clueless. What does Austin have to do with Rock-Hogan? How on Earth is Austin overrated?

Don't even reply, just leave. Don't think about replying. Just make your stupid little argument in your head and leave it there. Don't waste my time.

Guest Rrrsh

You sound like a retard man, chill out. Your obviously a Hogan mark and like his matches. Good for you. But the matches are not good.

Get over it.

Shut up. Seriously. SHUT THE FUCK UP. You haven't got a clue about anything. You're clueless. What does Austin have to do with Rock-Hogan? How on Earth is Austin overrated?

It's not that Austin's overrated. It's just that he's not HBK.

HBK HBK HBK

hbk.jpeg

HBK

You sound like a retard man, chill out. Your obviously a Hogan mark and like his matches. Good for you. But the matches are not good.

Get over it.

I'm not even a Hogan FAN you fool. It's just that I, unlike you, don't let bias get in the way of determining whether a match is good or not.

Once again, you don't try to show WHY the matches aren't good.

I request you leave. Don't reply again.

Get over it.

I'm not even a Hogan FAN you fool. It's just that I, unlike you, don't let bias get in the way of determining whether a match is good or not.

Once again, you don't try to show WHY the matches aren't good.

I request you leave. Don't reply again.

Yeah, I'm not a big Hogan fan but by the end of that match, I was Hulkamaniac #1. That was a great fuckin match. I don't see how you can be a wrestling fan and not love that match. Although, I think it did need more HBK.

Guest MikeSC

Get over it.

You obviously let bias determine if a match was good.

It's having an opinion.

-=Mike

I agree with the whole 'you had to be a mark during that time period' stance. It was the ultimate face vs face classic, and it still gives you a nostalgia fix when you need it.

Sure the actual match sucked, but the crowd was so into it I wouldn't call it 'boring'.

Guest MikeSC

The match was a massive improvement over Hogan and Warrior's usual work. You need to look at the kind of stuff they churned out at the time to fully appreciate it.

-=Mike

Guest Rrrsh
I agree with the whole 'you had to be a mark during that time period' stance. It was the ultimate face vs face classic, and it still gives you a nostalgia fix when you need it.

Sure the actual match sucked, but the crowd was so into it I wouldn't call it 'boring'.

I remember showing that match too some of my friends in around 93 or 94 and they were really bored, crowd or not. The constant stalling and that stupid test of strength just killed them.

I know when I first saw it I cared and all cuz I was a mark. But now....diffrent story.

Guest LooneyTune

I'm actually not an HBK hater. If anything, I'm undecided, like I am with 95% of the roster now (if a match is good I'll enjoy it, if not, I'll say it sucked). As babyface HBK, I hate his guts, so naturally, they give him a three-fucking-year long face run, when being a face is his weakest point.

Being a "smart" fan, it's sometimes hard to watch guys like HBK and actually like them, knowing what we know about them. When he puts on great matches, it's easy to suspend your knowledge of such things, but it always comes back. It's the same way with Triple H.

I tend to be a fan of upstanding guys in real life. Lance Storm is probably tied for my favorite of all time. I named my son Lance, partially because of Mr. Storm.

On Hogan/Warrior:

I have written it before, but I marked out big time when Warrior won, not so much because I was into him, but because someone beat Hogan. I had never been a fan of Hogan as a kid and even if I had been, even the most devout Hulkamaniacs were getting tired of his formulaic matches.

The match was the culmination of an angle and while not great athletically, it was very decent for the guys involved. I just watched it a few weeks ago and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

There is an old saying from an indy worker I once knew:

"A great match isn't always foreigners doing backflips."

Guest LooneyTune

That would be considered a spot fest, and spot fests shouldn't even be graded in the same manner as an actual wrestling match. Spot fests can be great, but on their own scale.

This implies that all Japanese matches are about flips and junk. Not true. US wrestlers tend to be a million times more spotty than Japanese.

This implies that all Japanese matches are about flips and junk. Not true. US wrestlers tend to be a million times more spotty than Japanese.

Japanese or Mexican.

But I think you're reading too far into it. The message is there. Besides, American workers learned that style from them.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

The match was liked because it was a dream match. You really didn't know who was going to win and you couldn't call it either way. They were the two strongest forces in the WWF at the time. Neither one had ever lost clean and they were both unbeatable and extremely popular. The psychology of the match played off of that.

One thing no one mentions. Did WWE ever have a Face vs. Face World Title Match between Hogan/Warrior and Morales/Sammartino in 1972? Hogan/Warrior was unique at the time because it was the kind of match that came along once in a decade. Even Davey Boy/Bret at Summerslam two years later was special in that regard because you simply did not see face vs. face matches.

Guest The Mandingo Warrior
The match was liked because it was a dream match. You really didn't know who was going to win and you couldn't call it either way. They were the two strongest forces in the WWF at the time. Neither one had ever lost clean and they were both unbeatable and extremely popular. The psychology of the match played off of that.

Very Good post. I was at both Hogan-Warrior and Hogan-Rock, and they were both amazing. I loved H-W because you really didn't know who was going to win.

Hogan-Warrior had a goos finish, IMO. BUt its deathly boring to get there. And, much like alot of overrated shit Austin produced at the tailspin of his carrer, the Hogan-Rock match was predictable and just average.

why, was austin overated? and id like a better argument then "he was" this time.

I was actually looking forward to this match cause I knew Hogan would lose . . . It would look a underwhelming to see Hogan win the Intercontinental Title. However, if it would have been just for the WWF Title, I'd have been waffling up to the beginning of April 1990.

Hogan/Warrior was a very good match by the standards of the men involved at that time. Hogan was crappy and Warrior was worse, but both of them went above and beyond their usual work in that one match. It was booked and planned out just about perfectly; I don't think there was anything that Hogan or Warrior were physically able to do that would've made the match better than it was. In short, it was better than it had any right to be, and it could've been much worse. (Two words: The Rematch.)

Yah Hogan/Warrior carried Halloween Havoc 1998 to the be the greatest single wrestling show period... ever...

Haha. in all honesty... Hogan/Warrior is not the worst match ever seen, but not even close the best. I'd mark it around *3/4 or **.. (havent seen it in awhile)... with the crowd and what not.. i'd probably bump it up to **3/4 or ***... The crowd was phenomenal... but the match was just okay.