TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Toronto Blue Jays

The Toronto Blue Jays suffered a 94 loss season, as both their top hitter and top pitcher missed significant time due to injury. The offense, which finished second in the American League in 2003, fell to 12th last season. Besides Delgado, Vernon Wells and Eric Hinske both suffered declines last season, and the rest of the offense fell across the board. The bullpen was a disaster, as several relievers failed to get the job done.

So what brings hope for this season? For one, the Blue Jays have several young players who hope to improve this season. Guillermo Quiroz, Russ Adams, Alexis Rios, and Gabe Gross all show promise. The Blue Jays shored up their first base problem by signing Corey Koskie, and Shea Hillenbrand should at least tread water at first base.

The pitching is significantly improved. The Blue Jays acquired Chad Gaudin in a trade with the Devil Rays. An absolute steal, in my opinion. The Jays offer a front four rotation of Roy Halladay, Ted Lilly, David Bush, and Miguel Batista. The Blue Jays gave 16 starts to Pat Hentgen (6.95 ERA) and 15 starts to Justin Miller (6.06). That will not happen again this season. Even with their problems, the Blue Jays finished seventh in pitching last year, and this staff has improved. The acquisition of Scott Schoeneweis raised some eyebrows, but his statistics are much better as a reliever. In the absence of a quality lefty reliever, the Blue Jays got creative.

Look at it this way. The pitching is middle of the league. If the offense can work its way to seventh, they're a .500 quality team. I think this team will climb out of the cellar, and should give the Orioles a run for third place.

Sorry, I don't see it Al. Their pitching is not bad but another injury quickly changes that, their offense can't compete AND they lost Delgado. I'm going to have to place them in 5th place again.

Oh, and the projected:

PROJECTED LINEUP

1. Reed Johnson LF

2. Orlando Hudson 2B

3. Vernon Wells CF

4. Corey Koskie 3B

5. Shea Hillenbrand DH

6. Eric Hinske 1B

7. Alexis Rios RF

8. Russ Adams SS

9. Gregg Zaun C

Rotation

1. R. Halladay

2. T. Lilly

3. M. Batista

4. J. Towers

5. D. Bush

So if the Blue Jays struggle again this year will Ricciardi be able to keep his job to reap the benefits of a supposed big increase in payroll after this season?

Guest Mosaicv2
So if the Blue Jays struggle again this year will Ricciardi be able to keep his job to reap the benefits of a supposed big increase in payroll after this season?

If the Blue Jays struggle... than the Red Sox or Yankees win the division... that's wonderful for my ears to hear :angry:

If the Blue Jays struggle... than the Red Sox or Yankees win the division... that's wonderful for my ears to hear :angry:

Not that Im saying in any way they'll finish any higher then 3rd place because they won't, but hello...the O's are much closer to competing with the Yanks and Sox then the Jays are...

Well, I'm going to tell myself that they can't be any worse than last year and that they have a shot at 3rd if everything goes right.

The starting rotation has the potential to be really good.

Guest LooneyTune

I'm sure the BJ's (note to self: never call them that again) have a chance to get out of the basement, since the Devil Rays haven't improved much either, and Baltimore looks good enough for 3rd.

Here's how it will probably be (records are just guesses)...

1. New York Yankees (97-65)

2. Boston Red Sox (91-71)+

3. Baltimore Orioles (75-87)

4. Toronto Blue Jays (69-93)

5. Tampa Bay Devil Rays (67-95)

+ - Wild Card

My projections

1. Yankees (97 - 65)

2. Red Sox (95 - 67)

3. Orioles (79 - 83)

4. Blue Jays (74 - 88)

5. Devil Rays (70 - 92)

I can't see any of the teams losing less than 70 games except maybe the Devil Rays. The Blue Jays and Orioles will be battling all season long for third place and I think whomever has the better starting rotation will help their team win it.

I can't see any of the teams losing less than 70 games except maybe the Devil Rays.

Do you know something about the D-Rays that the rest of us don't?

Guest LooneyTune

Playing Boston and New York is an automatic 25-30 losses probably, and the West is always unpreditcable, but I feel 70 is the most either TB or Toronto will win.

I think the Jays will be five games within .500, above or below. The year after, maybe we can overcome all odds and make a run for the playoffs.

I'm being REALLY optimistic, but with the hike in salary money used, it's definitely possible.