TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Judge Says California Can't Ban Gay Marriage

There is way too much discussion of KKK in this thread. That hippie loving bitch isn't worth our time. So STOP it right now.

Guest Loss
All I'll say is that a lot of the people bitching about KKK tend to be the same ones upset when Failed Mascot got booted for making similar comments a few months back.

You sure do pick awfully convenient times to be consistent.

Just saying.

:)

If this was a story on the white house about a policy GWB initiated, or something similar, and INXS said "Too bad the guy in Atlanta doesn't live in Washington", I can't imagine the shit storm.

AGAIN, the difference is that this was a joke, even if it was a tasteless one, whereas we all know that when INXS says things like that he really means them. Or is just being stupid.

But really, I'm gonna side with KKK here. Was what he said really THAT offensive? Even if it was.....eh, deal with it.

Man, America, you've changed. I miss the old days when people didn't use to be so goddamn sensitive to brutal, mean-spirited, angry comedy.

Guest MikeSC
There is way too much discussion of KKK in this thread. That hippie loving bitch isn't worth our time. So STOP it right now.

You never did answer the question in the other thread:

Did you ever get to eat lunch?

-=Mike

Guest Loss

Get over it.

The past is in the past. It's not coming back.

(Most) People are smarter now. (Most) People think about what they say before they say it now. (Most) people don't deliberately set out to offend people now.

Society has changed considerably in the last 50 years; I'm sorry if you're bitter about the fact that women wear pants and gays live in your neighborhood, Vyce.

Some people really need to watch American Beauty.

Guest MikeSC
Get over it.

The past is in the past. It's not coming back.

(Most) People are smarter now. (Most) People think about what they say before they say it now. (Most) people don't deliberately set out to offend people now.

Society has changed considerably in the last 50 years; I'm sorry if you're bitter about the fact that women wear pants and gays live in your neighborhood, Vyce.

Some people really need to watch American Beauty.

Yes, things have changed.

But don't you find some people have become whiny little bitches about every perceived slight, though?

-=Mike

Guest Loss

As far as gay marriage goes, not a lot left to discuss, really. People who support it are good people who believe in freedom, equality and progression. People who don't support it ... well, I think I've made my thoughts clear there.

Guest Loss

But don't you find some people have become whiny little bitches about every perceived slight, though?

-=Mike

Yes. I also think people have overcompensated for this by going too far in the other direction. I'd love to be able to laugh about our differences and have people not take themselves so seriously, but that can't happen until we're far enough removed from a culture where real, hurtful things have happened to people because of the color of their skin, their gender, their nationality, their religion or their sexual orientation.

I think, like anything, people will become desensitized to these things the further removed we are from them. We're not far enough removed yet.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

Yes. I also think people have overcompensated for this by going too far in the other direction. I'd love to be able to laugh about our differences and have people not take themselves so seriously, but that can't happen until we're far enough removed from a culture where real, hurtful things have happened to people because of the color of their skin, their gender, their nationality, their religion or their sexual orientation.

I think, like anything, people will become desensitized to these things the further removed we are from them. We're not far enough removed yet.

But doesn't the "forbidden" aspect of it make it worse?

Why do comedians run with offensive material? Because so few people have the guts to make the jokes, it makes those who WILL do it more unusual.

We aren't equal until EVERYBODY can be the same target of jokes that few groups are able to be targeted (see Christian fundamentalists).

-=Mike

Guest Loss

The forbidden aspect does make it worse, yes. And heterosexual white, American men are blamed for everything, which just causes the same problem to happen to a different group of people. I guess it's just more proof that we still have a ways to go before these things are ironed out and we're on the right path.

Guest MikeSC
The forbidden aspect does make it worse, yes. And heterosexual white, American men are blamed for everything, which just causes the same problem to happen to a different group of people. I guess it's just more proof that we still have a ways to go before these things are ironed out and we're on the right path.

I think it might be best if people simply are forced to grow a skin.

I'm still annoyed that I've watched "24" COMPLETELY change because CAIR bitched about the apparently absurd storylines involving Muslims who happen to be terrorists...

-=Mike

Guest Loss

Hard to tell people to grow a skin when there are still people alive who attended segregated schools or had to drink from their own water fountain because of the color of their skin, is it not? Are they wrong to not see the humor in that?

Guest MikeSC
Hard to tell people to grow a skin when there are still people alive who attended segregated schools or had to drink from their own water fountain because of the color of their skin, is it not? Are they wrong to not see the humor in that?

It's no longer the case, though. The only segregation, sadly, is done BY the same minority groups that fought for integration years ago.

Not joking about it really hasn't resolved the problems.

-=Mike

Guest Loss

I know it's not the case anymore, but you don't make jokes about drunks to a recovering alcoholic. There's no way to tastefully offer coke to a drug addict who's been clean for several years. You don't make light of rape to a woman who has survived it. It's the same principle.

Guest MikeSC
I know it's not the case anymore, but you don't make jokes about drunks to a recovering alcoholic. There's no way to tastefully offer coke to a drug addict who's been clean for several years. You don't make light of rape to a woman who has survived it. It's the same principle.

I actually agree with George Carlin on this:

ANYTHING can be funny with the proper comparison.

I'll be honest, the first time this REALLY started bugging me was with "Clear and Present Danger" where they completely changed the plot of the story, changing the terrorists with nukes from the apparently implausible Muslims to the far more plausible Russian mafia.

There are lots of problems. I heard blacks complain about the lack of blacks on "Seinfeld" --- but if they wrote a black character to be as shallow and unlikeable as Seinfeld's normal cast, there would have been massive complaints.

People need to simply grow skin and become adults.

-=Mike

It's no longer the case, though. The only segregation, sadly, is done BY the same minority groups that fought for integration years ago.

-=Mike

I don't buy that.

What's your definition of segregation than, and which groups do you speak of that want it, in what way?

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

I don't buy that.

What's your definition of segregation than, and which groups do you speak of that want it, in what way?

Go to a university.

Notice how the different racial groups segregate themselves? Notice the trend towards "one race" dorms? It's not exactly a subtle thing.

The universities aren't forcing them to do that.

The kids are CHOOSING to do that --- and I, personally, blame the "civil rights community" for creating an atmosphere where the different races are unable to talk to one another about much of anything. They have created such sensitivity towards the mildest slight that it is EASIER to simply hang around your own race where you're far less likely to accidentally offend somebody and risk punishment from the school.

-=Mike

Guest Loss

There's nothing stopping a white kid from going over and saying hi except fear. Really, if a white person sees a crowd of black people and gets scared, doesn't that make him a racist?

Guest MikeSC
There's nothing stopping a white kid from going over and saying hi except fear. Really, if a white person sees a crowd of black people and gets scared, doesn't that make him a racist?

And nothing is stopping the blacks from going over and saying "Hi" to the white guy. They CHOOSE to segregate themselves.

Even Jesse Jackson has admitted that he feels safe when he hears footsteps behind him, looks back, and sees it's a white guy and not a black guy.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
The only real segregation I *might* buy is black only groups, like on campus or whatever.

But I disagree about groups segregating themselves. Can't it just as easily be argued that white people don't go and say hi to a black kid?

Nope. The whites aren't forcing the blacks out. The blacks are CHOOSING to segregate themselves. The whites are so cowed by the fear of being called racists and being brought in front of some disciplinary panel, facing possible expulsion for saying something impolite, that they don't say a word.

Why in the world should anybody expend any effort to make friends with somebody who has already made it abundantly clear that they do not wish to be friends?

-=Mike

Guest Loss

The same could be said for anyone, regardless of their skin color, Mike.

I found college to be an experience where in my social group, I was one of two white people. There were never any problems or strain at all.

Guest Vitamin X

Mike makes a good point here. Not only that, but you often times see many groups on campus make race-exclusive organizations (like for example, a Cuban Heritage club on one of the campuses of my school, or an African Heritage one) that segregate themselves from white folk. But at least they choose to do it rather than being forced to, although it certainly doesn't help with the integration of hispanics, asians, and blacks into a predominantly white and made by white culture/society. It just makes the differences that much more apparent.

I'll be honest, the first time this REALLY started bugging me was with "Clear and Present Danger" where they completely changed the plot of the story, changing the terrorists with nukes from the apparently implausible Muslims to the far more plausible Russian mafia.

I thought Clear and Present Danger was about the President waging an illegal war against South American drug lords.

Guest MikeSC

I thought Clear and Present Danger was about the President waging an illegal war against South American drug lords.

I meant Sum of All Fears.

I tend to draw blanks involving films with Ben Affleck in them.

-=Mike

Oh Jesus, cut the heavy-handed melodrama. You're overreacting, badly.

Even though it's cliche to rage against it at this point, I'm just reiterating my hatred of our PC culture these days. Where everything has to be fucking sanitized for your protection because people are apparently too fucking sensitive to deal anything that could remotely resemble edgy comedy. I'm just a bit saddened at the fact that if a film like "Blazing Saddles" was made in today's culture, Mel Brooks would be burned at the stake.

Calm the fuck down. I know you're ESPECIALLY sensitive to this issue because of your orientation, but quit getting your knickers in a twist. I believe I've said before on this board, several times, that I don't have a single problem with gays getting married. But I ain't gonna crucify KKK for making an off-colour joke about the subject.

Guest Loss

Nor am I. Pardon me, but it just gets really old sometimes when conservatives crow on and on about the way things used to be, as if people in power were really any less corrupt 50 years ago than they are now.

Guest MikeSC
Nor am I. Pardon me, but it just gets really old sometimes when conservatives crow on and on about the way things used to be, as if people in power were really any less corrupt 50 years ago than they are now.

I could mention the lower crime rate, illegitimacy rate, etc from 50 years ago.

Some things were always done in recorded history for a reason.

-=Mike

I could mention the lower crime rate, illegitimacy rate, etc from 50 years ago.

Some things were always done in recorded history for a reason.

-=Mike

How about the REAL segregation?