TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Text Adventures!

What text adventures have you enjoyed? They're still somewhat fun to play. Thw Zork games are masterpieces, but take some SERIOUS work to complete. Lurking Horror is probably my favourite. Then you have the absolute masterpiece of photopia, which is barely a game. Oh, and then there's pick up the phone booth and die.

What text adventures have you enjoyed? They're still somewhat fun to play. Thw Zork games are masterpieces, but take some SERIOUS work to complete. Lurking Horror is probably my favourite. Then you have the absolute masterpiece of photopia, which is barely a game. Oh, and then there's pick up the phone booth and die.

Huh? Text Adventures makes me think of those fun "Choose Your Adventures" books, though this is not the proper folder for that. What exactly is text adventures?

Games that are essentially long stories where you play a character and enter commands to interact with the story (i.e. "open door" "take *object*" "talk to *person*").

I've played a few; it depends on the quality of the writing to really enjoy one.

I never liked text adventures. They could never hold my interest for very long.

But on a similar vein, I am a HUGE fan of the old school RPGs, like Telengard, Wizard's Crown, Phantasie, and the like. They are a lot of fun... sometimes it doesn't take overwhelming graphics and sound for something to be enjoyable. The problem is all of the gaming companies and developers are convinced that it has to be bigger and better in order for it to be good.

I have said it before, in that I would love to see an RPG that had upgraded Lufia-style graphics, a simple combat and magic system that took 150-200 hours to complete with awesome replay value rather than the revese, which is a visually and aurally stunning game with a needlessly complex combat and magic system that you can complete in 50 hours. Bigger isn't always better.

It's not really a text "adventure," but there's an online text game that I've been playing on and off for about a year now called Bootleggers. It's a 1940s-ish mafia game where you start as a low class mobster and do all sorts of crimes and stuff to earn money and get higher ranks. It's got a small learning curve but it's seriously addictive.

Bootleggers online

Dragon Warrior 7 has shitty graphics for PS1 standards and was around 100 hours with good replay value.

Doesn't every Dragon Warrior game have shitty graphics even for their time/system?

Mine's BrinkofInsanity. But right now I can't get logged in?

Warning: mysql_connect(): #HY000Can't create a new thread (errno 11); if you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in /www/config_files/mysql.inc.php on line 28

Could not establish a connection to the database server.

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /www/config_files/mysql.inc.php on line 59

That's what I get.

Mine's BrinkofInsanity. But right now I can't get logged in?

Warning: mysql_connect(): #HY000Can't create a new thread (errno 11); if you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in /www/config_files/mysql.inc.php on line 28

Could not establish a connection to the database server.

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /www/config_files/mysql.inc.php on line 59

That's what I get.

I've gotten that before.

I just closed my browser and reopened and then re-logged in and it worked. Try that.

Edit: Back in. Apparently I "x'ed" out during a Blackjack game so I had to use my history to log out, log in, finish the game, and now it's running as always.

Guest 5.0Fanatic

mine is markus313, just leveled up to Peewee, but lost all my money on Blackjack so I'm just waiting around commiting robberies when I get the chance.

I am JasperNuguya myself. How does one level up to PeeWee, BTW? Also, I am doing moderately successful playing the stock market and at the race track.

EDIT: Nevermind. I moved up to PeeWee now.

How does one level up to PeeWee, BTW?

Early on in the beginning, the easiest way to rank up is to do the Missions and Grand Theft Autos/Crimes.

The 1st mission takes awhile but you get alot of experience from it.

Once you get higher up, the fastest way to rank up is to do "Organized Crimes" with a few other people. I'm always up for OC's if anyone ever wants to do some.

I say later on because most people on the game wont do OC's with you till your atleast at Gangster rank, or if they do they'll make you pay them to join it. But you can actually do them anytime. Just make sure you have the money for it.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Hardest text game EVER.

isn't that a book as well?

Went from book to radio show to TV series and now a major movie... it's one of the best novels ever.

Guest Iron Nick

Great game, just started playing yesterday and I'm a Pee Wee with a bit of money. Started doing the first mission while robbing general stores. I'm ManWithNoName.

I just signed up as KingPK. Reminds me of that "Gang Warz" game we played a while back, where you could either become a drug runner, a pimp, or a killer and could join gangs and everything.

Doesn't every Dragon Warrior game have shitty graphics even for their time/system?

Mainly. Dragon Quest 6 though had excellent graphics for the SNES.

Guest Iron Nick

Have a question for Bootleggers, what exactly happen when you die? I'm just a Thug so I don't think I'll be killed soon but I'd like to know anyway.

When you die, you lose all your money and ranks and stuff and have to start over unless you put some money away in a swiss bank account.

As long as your not pissing anyone off (stealing cars from crews is a quick way to die) you shouldnt have to worry about dying.

Guest Iron Nick

Holy shit, that's not really good. Thanks for the info.

But are Hits a good idea when later in the game? Can we die from them or can people know we killed someone and make us kill for example?

Are you talking putting hits on people? Those are fun but there's so many people in the game that are in crews/underground crews/associated with people in crews that if you put a hit on someone your almost bound to piss someone else off.

Collecting on hits is fun too, though I'd wait till you've done a few missions before trying to collect on hits. (The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th missions give you an assload of bullets for a reward, and bullets arent cheap to buy.) It generally takes like 5,000 bullets to kill someone. Again you run the risk of pissing someone who was "protecting" the guy you killed off, but thats half the fun.

Guest Iron Nick

I was talking about collecting the hits. Yeah seems kinda risky but still a lot of fun. Anyway thanks a bunch, I'm starting to really understand this game and even if I started not long ago I'm having a lot of fun.