TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Fact or a myth?

Not so much "wrestling" but things about two Hogan movies (NHB and Sub-Urban commando)

"The movie was produced by star Hogan and his boss, World Wrestling Federation head honcho Vince McMahon, only to be distributed by New Line Cinema after completion. When the first-draft of the script was turned in, Hogan and McMahon disapproved of it, so they took a hotel room in Redington Beach, California and stayed up for 72 hours rewriting the script together."

" Originally titled "Urban Commando", and intended for Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwarzenegger. When these two opted to make Twins (1988), the script was bought by New Line Cinema as the follow-up to their highly successful Hulk Hogan film, No Holds Barred (1989)"

What the fuck was he going to do?  Give up the title again so he could retire due to the injury?

I'm sure he would have loved to have done that. He'd done it so often in the past when it came time to drop a title, that, in some ways, it was almost like a drug. Not getting his fix would have really driven him nuts..

Until I stopped to think about it, I didn't realize the guy has really gotten out of jobbing 5-6 titles:

- 1993 I-C Title (Suspension)

- 1994 Tag Titles (Forfeit)

- 1995 I-C Title (Syracuse)

- 1997 WWF Title (Missing Smile)

- 1997 Tag Titles (Not sure about this, but how did the Austin/HBK title reign end? I don't remember them losing to anyone)

- 1997 European Title (Prequel to Fingerpoke of Doom)

Hell, I may be missing some.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I think Dude Love just kind of took over his spot on the team.

Austin/HBK won the tag titles and that was pretty much it. A tournament was held to determine the #1 contenders (won by Owen and Bulldog), and they lost to Austin and Dude Love (during the "Pick Me Steve" angle when Michaels was out of the whole deal for reasons I can't remember). They lost the titles by forfeit officially at Ground Zero (Sept 97) due to Austin's injury.

Guest LooneyTune
What the fuck was he going to do?  Give up the title again so he could retire due to the injury?

I'm sure he would have loved to have done that. He'd done it so often in the past when it came time to drop a title, that, in some ways, it was almost like a drug. Not getting his fix would have really driven him nuts..

Until I stopped to think about it, I didn't realize the guy has really gotten out of jobbing 5-6 titles:

- 1997 Tag Titles (Not sure about this, but how did the Austin/HBK title reign end? I don't remember them losing to anyone)

You never noticed that before? He must hold the record for getting out of title jobs more than anyone else.

Guest Salacious Crumb

You forgot the dusty finish for the Rockers brief Tag Title reign.

You forgot the dusty finish for the Rockers brief Tag Title reign.

That wasn't a Dusty Finish. It was meant to be a legit title change, and was only changed because the circumstances dictating the change did.

Michaels vacated his half of the tag titles after getting into the fight with Bret Hart. Michaels had refused to return to the WWF, and wanted out of his contract, citing an unsafe working environment.

I'm not surprised, apparently Bret wiped the floor with him. I think it was one of LOD who said Bret would've killed him had it not been broken up.

Michaels vacated his half of the tag titles after getting into the fight with Bret Hart. Michaels had refused to return to the WWF, and wanted out of his contract, citing an unsafe working environment.

I'm not surprised, apparently Bret wiped the floor with him. I think it was one of LOD who said Bret would've killed him had it not been broken up.

It wasn't Shawn's first scuffle. On their last night with the company in 1995, The Bruise Brothers politely informed Shawn that they were a little displeased with his conduct. One of them barred the locker room door, and the other grabbed Shawn by the throat and held him up against the wall, while gently informing Shawn that he had commited a faux pas.

Guest LooneyTune

When your father trains with you by stretching out every muscle in your body, I'm not surprised Bret was able to kick Shawns ass. I'm sure any Hart that was trained in wrestling could've done the same to him.

It wasn't Shawn's first scuffle. On their last night with the company in 1995, The Bruise Brothers politely informed Shawn that they were a little displeased with his conduct. One of them barred the locker room door, and the other grabbed Shawn by the throat and held him up against the wall, while gently informing Shawn that he had commited a faux pas.

Where were Shawn's Kliq buddies at the time? Or did Nash swear off fighting after Rude knocked him out in 1992?

Guest LooneyTune

Scott Hall was shitting in peoples food, and Kevin Nash is Big Pussy.

Which Bruise Brothers were these? 1995 was during my WWF "blackout" period (93-98). I have seen some tapes of 1995, but not much.

Which Bruise Brothers were these? 1995 was during my WWF "blackout" period (93-98). I have seen some tapes of 1995, but not much.

They were Jacob and Eli Blu.

was he supposed to job to ramon in 93?

in 94 the tag title vacated cuz shawn and diesel broke up so it was due to storyline not refusal of a job

Guest Shadow

I always thought Shawn was supposed to hold the title leading up to Mania and lose it to Ramon there.

" Originally titled "Urban Commando", and intended for Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwarzenegger. When these two opted to make Twins (1988), the script was bought by New Line Cinema as the follow-up to their highly successful Hulk Hogan film, No Holds Barred (1989)"

This brings up another question. Fact or Myth? No Holds Barred bombed.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool
According to boxofficemojo.com, NHB grossed $16M, but they don't have the expenses

PWI at the time of the release said it cost 24 million, Vince claimed (In character) that Hogan promised to pay him back if the movie lost money, but "I guess the checks in the mail"

I think this was when Hogan was still in WCW

DiBiase was indeed meant to get the WWF Title at WM IV, but Savage got it instead when HTM refused to drop the IC belt to him.

I still don't see a heel winning a big tournament at Wrestlemania...heels NEVER won to end PPVs at this time period.

So was the plan Dibiase vs. Hogan for WM5 then?

Both DiBiase, HTM, and others have confirmed that DiBiase was going to win the title.

I would surmise that DiBiase v Hogan was planned for WM V, and that the Hogan v DiBiase storyline would have revolved around Hogan regaining the WWF title from a greedy champion, who would have likely cheated his way through a year long reign.

DiBiase was easily one of the most over heels in the business, he would have got through the WMIV tournament by cheating and bribing as much as he could, the place would have almost exploded and the gate for Hogan or Savage to beat him at Summerslam would have been unreal.

Was Dino Bravo really murdered over his involvement in black market ciggarette smuggling or was it something else? And also why did the WWF never really give any tribute to him or VonErich, at least that I know of, right after their deaths (which were 3 weeks apart)

That is always what I heard about Bravo. IIRC I don't think either one was with the company at the time of their death.