TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Did anybody get a PSP?

A friend of mine returned his PSP today, citing dirt under the screen. He felt that for $250, he should get a better product. (+$80 for whatever Fry's bundled with it)

He said he'll buy it again when Sony gets their act together.

2007 should be a banner year for them.

And frankly, a "gimmick" that Nintendo was the first to heavily implement, analog sticks, we see on all the systems now.

Sometimes they hit, sometimes they miss. I'll be damned if they hit this time.

Do remember that for every analog stick and controller vibrator that Nintendo made popular there's always a R.O.B. or Super Scope, eReader, or Power Glove.

Good news!  You can't rent PSP games--yet. :P 

http://www.gamefly.com/psp/

:mellow:

Take a look at that PSP library.  NFS, Wipeout, DS Chronicles, Twisted Metal, etc--hot damn, the innovation!  At least Konami is doing something different with Acid.

There is a vast difference between making a sequel and literally ripping the complete code of an old program, bugs and all, and putting it onto a new media format. Nintendo's been doing a lot of the latter, especially for GBA.

At least Sega's nostalgia collections come out maybe once or twice a year. Nintendo is King Of The F'n Mountain when it comes to the art of repackaging your childhood in a fancy new format, and selling it back to you for 3/5ths the price of what you paid for it almost 15-20 years ago.

If you want games that are providing something new on the PSP, that selection is, to use your own words, "bare fucking thin."

None of the games you listed above are ports of older games. I looked up the Wipeout and Twisted Metal ones, since I was unsure of those, and they aren't either.

That just means it's the best system for you. You evidently enjoy those type of games. But you can't really say that makes it 'far and away the best system'.

I for one don't like the Resident Evil games. I don't really like the Fzero games. The monkey balls IMO are annoying. There are better shooters then Metroid Prime, Halo for instance.

Well then you have bad taste. That sounds bad, but it doesn't matter what you think about them. They're great games. When all websites and magazines rate RE4 a 9.6 and better, and just about everyone that plays it calls it one of the best games in years, it really doesn't matter if you like it or not. Here's an example. Mario 3, or Zelda: A link to the Past. If I don't like them, who cares, what's important is EVERYONE (or 99.99%) likes them. That's what tells you they're great. Do you think you can't say the SNES is a far better system than the Atari Jaguar? You can easily say SNES was far better, just like you can say Playstation 1 was far and away the system of its era, and now it's Cube.

Just curious, how much of those 4 games did you play? I can't imagine anyone not liking RE4 or F-Zero GX or 4 player monkey ball. I can't believe it's possible.

F-Zero GX was frustrating beyond all belief because they cranked the difficulty up needlessly high, and I enjoyed the original, difficult F-Zero quite much thank you.

I don't think either F-Zero or RE4 can really be compared to Super Mario Bros 3. If you didn't already like arcade racers or survival horror, neither game is going to do anything to change your mind.

Just curious, how much of those 4 games did you play? I can't imagine anyone not liking RE4 or F-Zero GX or 4 player monkey ball. I can't believe it's possible.

I've played all of them but Resident Evil 4. But, like JotW said, I don't like Survival Horror games, that's just not really my thing. If I want to 'be scared' I'll go rent/watch a horror movie.

Guest ArchoanJB

I'm just chimming in real quickly about the dead pixel problem.

Dead pixels happen can happen in EVERY LCD screen produced by ANY company. This isn't just a Sony thing, this is an LCD thing. Every LCD you ever buy could have the chance of a dead pixel or 5. It could be a 600 super high quality 19 inch LCD monitor and it could still have a dead pixel. Guess what, your stuck with the dead pixel unless you have 8 or more as well. Its a wide-spread problem, especially the coverage on it.

I've played all of them but Resident Evil 4. But, like JotW said, I don't like Survival Horror games, that's just not really my thing. If I want to 'be scared' I'll go rent/watch a horror movie.

Exslade, I was on that same boat, I didn't like any of the Resident Evil games until I played 4. Resident Evil 4 is a very good game and made me a fan. Just check it out if you can, just rent it....go on, rent it!

As for the PSP itself, I have already heard one problem. A kid bought from where I work and supposely the screen goes black for a few seconds after he turns it on. I told him to try chargeing it and if it doesn't work contact Sony and apprently someone already traded in Metal Gear Acid. I'm not sure why, I had Friday off so I don't know if its a bad game or maybe he thought it'd be differant but sure enough, he traded it in.

Guest CRO
Dead pixels happen can happen in EVERY LCD screen produced by ANY company. This isn't just a Sony thing, this is an LCD thing. Every LCD you ever buy could have the chance of a dead pixel or 5. It could be a 600 super high quality 19 inch LCD monitor and it could still have a dead pixel. Guess what, your stuck with the dead pixel unless you have 8 or more as well. Its a wide-spread problem, especially the coverage on it.

Nintendo have no problem exchanging your DS because of a single dead pixel.

Sometimes they hit, sometimes they miss. I'll be damned if they hit this time.

Do remember that for every analog stick and controller vibrator that Nintendo made popular there's always a R.O.B. or Super Scope, eReader, or Power Glove.

Pocketstation? The Vaio with a camcorder/laptop?

I'm surprised you used mostly examples that were well over 10 years old, when I'd have said GBA-to-GC connectivity myself.

Regardless of good or bad, it's just something already integrated into another machine, as opposed to an extra accessory with only one purpose.

You know I mean going to a Blockbuster or HV. =P

Don't the memory sticks *start* at $40, with the largest one for $90?

There is a vast difference between making a sequel and literally ripping the complete code of an old program, bugs and all, and putting it onto a new media format. Nintendo's been doing a lot of the latter, especially for GBA.

The Mario Advance and NES Classics series--yes, indeed. Although focusing on that loses sight of the more bothersome issue--sequels galore on every system.

Meanwhile, there are sequels coming out for the DS which at least actually offer something different besides just the novelty of being portable.

Furthermore, Sony is rather foolish for not debuting the PSP with Tales of Eternia; if you've got an RPG already made, it's a good idea to launch with it, considering that both the PS1 and GBA were put on the map largely by an RPG, even though neither of them were exactly fantastic. There are tons of people who would be more persuaded to buy a PSP solely if it had a decent RPG.

At least Sega's nostalgia collections come out maybe once or twice a year.

And in the most recent case, they screwed up the original games to such a degree that they lack any appeal whatsoever.

Nintendo is King Of The F'n Mountain when it comes to the art of repackaging your childhood in a fancy new format, and selling it back to you for 3/5ths the price of what you paid for it almost 15-20 years ago.

I can pick up Twisted Metal Black right now, and it's online counterpart, for about 12 bucks. Tony Hawk? NFS? They have fairly new additions out right now.

I repeat: If you want games that are providing something new on the PSP, that selection is, to use your own words, "bare fucking thin." Ridge Racer PSP doesn't even offer online play, which TM:HO does--but Black already did anyway.

There's a difference between catering to a niche (NES Classics) and basing your entire starting lineup for a console around rehashes (PSP). I totally agree that Nintendo should be offering a better value. That's why those titles aren't for me. The PSP games that I have any interest in aren't coming out for a hell of a long time.

Oh, and ATV, Ape Escape, Darkstalkers Chronicles, NFL Street 2 Unleashed are ports or slightly upgraded ports.

The NES Classics offer reprints of the instruction manuals and box design. And there's a demand for them. Why else would Metroid: Zero Mission get absolutely pummeled in sales by the NES Classics Metroid, when M: ZM contains the NES Metroid as well?

neither system is close to being worth what they're charging for them

DH would probably beg to differ, however taking a look at what's slated for both systems, the worthwhile games for each are few and far between. Neither are going to have libraries that make them must-haves until Christmas or beyond.

The DS has great games coming that are mostly in Japan right now, but depending on the "new Game Boy" situation, one wonders when they're coming here and how Nintendo would support both.

Meanwhile, the PSP's more interesting games are early in development. Supposedly GTA's coming next month, but nobody's even seen screenshots yet, and rumors are that it's being pushed back.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

You guys seriously need to stop saying bare fucking thin.

I didn't pay full price for the DS. I bought a used one, mine and like new mind you, and two games with the Metroid demo for $150. To me, and this is just me ya know, it was worth every penny. I haven't had as much fun with any video game system in years, and that's the truth in my case. There are more than enough games coming out in the upcoming weeks and months to make me happy. But my deal is that I like those weird and odd games the best, especially on handhelds. I like games that are pretty much only able to be played on the handheld.

I'm not really excited at all about any of the online games for the DS (but that is pretty cool), like Mario Kart and al of those. I'll more than likely not even bother with setting all of that up.

So yeah, in my case, the DS is more than worth what I gave for it.

Back to the PSP though. I went into a GameStop today to take advantage of their DVD sale, and while I was there I asked if they had any PSPs in stock. The guy said he had four still in stock, that are not pre-orders. The odd thing however, is that he said the entire staff has been telling people interested in a PSP to hold off on picking one up until the next production run. I suppose it might just be my area, but he said of the ones that they personally got in stock, as well as all other video game stores and retail stores in the area, since he knows many people that works around here, that the majority of the PSPs had some sort of fault with it. Have it be a high number of dead pixels, more than just a single piece of dust under the screen, or whatever. He ever said that just in his store, about 4-6 of the PSPs were shipped to them without the battery even included in the system/box.

It might just be my area, but every store I've talked to personally have reported problems with the launch, with a great number of returns and exchanges.

Any idea on when the next production run for the PSP will be? I have no clue how that works.

Pocketstation?

That wasn't even released here. And there's no point dragging every Sony product that ever failed into this, such as that laptop, because I was talking about gaming stuff. Besides, we could spend a whole day talking about Betamax alone.

I'd have said GBA-to-GC connectivity myself.

Was that pumped up as being something more than it really was? I seem to remember it was always promoted as just some bonus feature on the side, not as some kind of revolutionary new way of changing how we think about playing with games or whatever.

You know I mean going to a Blockbuster or HV.  =P

That doesn't change my point. That it's much more useful to me, personally, to be able to get my hands on any copy of a title and be able to access my savegame. This did wonders for RPGs especially, as more people started getting into them when they could casually rent the game a few times and keep their characters.

Don't the memory sticks *start* at $40, with the largest one for $90? 

The largest one is a good deal over $100, and you're right about it starting at $40, however, the $40 stick is 128MB. Those $25 PS2 memory cards are only 8MB. So, yes, the price is a little higher, but as long as people are smart with their memory as they already are with their GameCubes and PS2s, they shouldn't ever need to buy more than one. Seems decent to me, how about you?

The Mario Advance and NES Classics series--yes, indeed.

It's more than that. They've been doing this since Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES. Look at all the WindWaker pre-orders that happened because they waved around Zelda 64 on a minidisc in everyone's faces. Look at how they not only rereleased the old Metroid in the NES Classics collection, but released a "new" Metroid game in Zero Mission that's... Oh, I see, it's Metroid again with cosmetic surgery.

Although focusing on that loses sight of the more bothersome issue--sequels galore on every system.

That's not a problem. That's an effect of consumerism. The movie industry sees this too, which is how something like Jurassic Park can get 3 sequels despite not having enough plot to support 3 sequels.

the PS1 and GBA were put on the map largely by an RPG, even though neither of them were exactly fantastic.

Er? PS1? Way to ignore the popularity of Tekken (alright, it's tired today, but when the first one was new it moved a lot of units early on) and Gran Tourismo. And while all of FF7's exciting moments drew upon taking things from Evangelion, it was still put together quite decently compared to it's sequels. I don't know if I'd put it in the good category with FF6 or in the bad category with the games that followed, though.

If nothing else, at least 12 looks to be a refreshing change of pace in gameplay.

At least Sega's nostalgia collections come out maybe once or twice a year.

I'm talking about the blatant repackagings like Sonic Mega Collection and the Phantasy Star thing for GBA.

And in the most recent case, they screwed up the original games to such a degree that they lack any appeal whatsoever.

It helps when you tell me what you're talking about. Sega Classics Collection, I take it? Sadly they made the mistake of passing development onto some Cheapware producer. IT seems like they do that once every 10 years or so.

I repeat: If you want games that are providing something new on the PSP, that selection is, to use your own words, "bare fucking thin." Ridge Racer PSP doesn't even offer online play, which TM:HO does--but Black already did anyway.

We're comparing apples to oranges here, I believe. I'm talking about how Nintendo, the company with the guys that let loose those huge rants about the death of the game industry, have sold me back the same Super Mario World game over and over again unlike anyone else in the field.

YOU seem to be on some sort of general rant about sequelitis. Between this and Prince of Persia avatar, I'm starting to sense that vibe that you're one of those people who bitches about how things go downhill once they become popular. It's cool to hate _____ because it's trendy.

basing your entire starting lineup for a console around rehashes (PSP).

Mario 64, Wario Ware, and Metroid Prime rehashes on the phone, calling Andrew! Come in! And guess what's coming to DS next month? NFSU.

Besides, launch titles in the end usually either don't matter. They either become some sort of instant classic because everyone who owns the system buys it or got it packed (SMB/DuckHunt, Super Mario World, Sonic the Hedgehog, Halo) or completely forgotten about (the rest of the early N64 lineup, the rest of the Xbox launch lineup, which actually had variety.)

The NES Classics offer reprints of the instruction manuals and box design.  And there's a demand for them.  Why else would Metroid: Zero Mission get absolutely pummeled in sales by the NES Classics Metroid, when M: ZM contains the NES Metroid as well?

Because Nintendo's sole remaining market with any kind of reliability is Nintendo Fanboys who were growing up with NES controllers in their hands andpine for their early years in those innocent 80s, when Nintendo was to gaming as Kleenex is to tissue paper.

Thus, even the new stuff that is rather innovative, like the bongo drum game, is wrapped up in the 1980s packaging of Donkey Kong.

neither system is close to being worth what they're charging for them

DH would probably beg to differ, however taking a look at what's slated for both systems, the worthwhile games for each are few and far between. Neither are going to have libraries that make them must-haves until Christmas or beyond.

I don't know how sales of the DS are over in the states, but Nintendo has sold megalaods of them here Australia. That system, as well as Super Mario 64, has been top sellers here for weeks.

I was almost tempted to look into getting a PSP for the Metal Gear title, but I don't think one game justifies the money that has to be spent in obtaining a PSP. I'm not big on handhelds, so I'll likely pass.

Is there any truth to the following, posted on CAG?

I got my hands on Ridge Racer...

and I wanna find out how much play I cna get outta this thing. and I can't really trust site review.

On a full charge, sond volume turned full & screen on brightest setting.

I clocked 1hr. & 48 Mins.

well it beats the game gear & nomad.

I'm sure that's not common, but still. Is it really possible that the PSP will only last one and a half to two hours if all settings are set the highest, with Wi-Fi going as well?

I'd like to get some opinions on this here.

I wouldn't be all that surprised, since with all that stuff on it would probably suck up battery life like a mo-fo. And all the stories I read about it said that that was a concern.

Invest in a battery pack, or sleep with a Duracell distributor I say.

In testing the unit as an MP3 player with the screen turned asleep, PSP's battery lasted about five hours.

I imagine if you had the all the functions on all the time, yes, battery will get used up. Third-party distributors are planning on making bigger batteries, and Sony will probably release a Battery V2 with some technology they announced a time back to get more use out of them.

Something  I thought recently: If PSP didn't launch with an RPG, then what in the heck is Untold Legends?

Hack + Slash

And there's no point dragging every Sony product that ever failed into this

Okay. *cough* HDD *cough*

Was that pumped up as being something more than it really was? I seem to remember it was always promoted as just some bonus feature on the side, not as some kind of revolutionary new way of changing how we think about playing with games or whatever.

Yes, it was. They tried to promote it as a replacement for online gaming.

Nintendo downplayed online play and tried to make up with it with their Network Adapter--which only Sega really used. Although their online plan isn't really much different than Sony's. Microsoft is the only one of the three to heavily support online gaming.

Nintendo since agreed they were wrong and are going to make it more of a focus with the Revolution. Doubt it will be anything like MS is doing, though.

Besides, launch titles in the end usually either don't matter. They either become some sort of instant classic because everyone who owns the system buys it or got it packed (SMB/DuckHunt, Super Mario World, Sonic the Hedgehog, Halo) or completely forgotten about (the rest of the early N64 lineup, the rest of the Xbox launch lineup, which actually had variety.)

Then there's PS1 vs. Saturn, which seemed to most consumers that the PS1 was offering essentially the same games (VF vs. Toshinden, Daytona vs. Ridge Racer, etc.), but the PS1 was cheaper and the games were purtier.

When systems launch close together, launch titles can make or break. Which is why I think Microsoft have to be a bunch of utter fools to release the Xenon *first*, and give Sony all the time in the world to line their ducks up, make the PS3 more powerful, make sure they have a good starting lineup, be assured they have enough systems, and can wait for the peak desirable periods to launch it.

YOU seem to be on some sort of general rant about sequelitis. Between this and Prince of Persia avatar, I'm starting to sense that vibe that you're one of those people who bitches about how things go downhill once they become popular. It's cool to hate _____ because it's trendy.

Now, now--we had a nice discussion going, then you go and ruin it with this steaming pile of shit. I know you're better than that, Jobber.

It's more than that. They've been doing this since Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES. Look at all the WindWaker pre-orders that happened because they waved around Zelda 64 on a minidisc in everyone's faces. Look at how they not only rereleased the old Metroid in the NES Classics collection, but released a "new" Metroid game in Zero Mission that's... Oh, I see, it's Metroid again with cosmetic surgery.

You seem to have a chronic habit of picking the absolute worst examples to back up good points. All-Stars? Started as a free pack-in, an compilation of 3 enhanced NES classics, 1 semi-new game (to the US anyway). Enhanced Zelda 64? Also free. ZM? Practically a brand new game considering how much was added.

Mario 64, Wario Ware, and Metroid Prime rehashes on the phone, calling Andrew! Come in! And guess what's coming to DS next month? NFSU.

So, at the very least, Sony is just as bad? Exactly. I agree. Both of them are relying too much on essentially old games. So if you're basing a PSP purchase on that, it doesn't hold much water. But considering the huge installed PS2 user base--how does one justify purchasing a system that offers largely the same gaming experience as the PS2? PS2 costs less, and you can get the older versions of nearly all those games cheaper. Hell, the DS costs 100 bucks less, games are 10 bucks cheaper, you don't need a memory stick.

How does one justify the additional cost? In "gimmicky shit" like the movies, MP3s? If not, then what?

Because Nintendo's sole remaining market with any kind of reliability is Nintendo Fanboys who were growing up with NES controllers in their hands andpine for their early years in those innocent 80s, when Nintendo was to gaming as Kleenex is to tissue paper.

I thought that "sole remaining market" were little kids? And what's your point?

I never had a Game Gear. Just how long did it actually last on a single charge?

It's been a looong time since I had mine, but I'd say 3-5 hours. I think it took 4 AAs.

Guest Smues
I never had a Game Gear. Just how long did it actually last on a single charge?

It's been a looong time since I had mine, but I'd say 3-5 hours. I think it took 4 AAs.

6 AAs, and if you got 3 hours then you considered yourself lucky.

It has MK3, Primal Rage, Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown....ok so it's not as good as I had thought.

But the Streets of Rage ports were ok.

I have just one thing to say.

Ummmm...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...8180394718&rd=1

Great find, DH.

Better than the PS1 launch marketing campaigns by far.

Gamegear had some decent fighting games.

I thought it just had MK1 and 2.

the one PSP having sex with the second PSP is just fucking bizarre, as our the two PSPs getting high.

It has MK3, Primal Rage, Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown....ok so it's not as good as I had thought.

But the Streets of Rage ports were ok.

I believe the SamSho went a more realistic route, while the Game Boy went with the SD, NGPC approach. The GB one squeezed in more characters and stuff too.

Other GG fighters--Rise/Robots, Shaq Fu, Power Rangers--well, pretty much every system got those, though.

Didn't get an SFII game, oddly. Heck, it took forever for the Game Boy to get one.

Game Gear had decent ports of Gunstar, Ristar, Shinobi, and some fun Sonic games, though. Plus NBA Jam linked-up was great.

My brother-in-law in NY has one, plus Master System games, and the Master System thing that lets him play GG games on his MS.

Master System has MK1-3 too. But everything has at least one MK game.

NBA JAM is good on any system. I still play the arcade version a lot.

Hack + Slash

Er, what? Last I checked I saw character classes, equipping/unequipping items, inventory, merchants, etc. The typical hallmarks of an RPG.

I finally got to try it a bit today and thought it was quite fun but not enough to overcome the price tag for me, personally.

You seem to have a chronic habit of picking the absolute worst examples to back up good points.  All-Stars?  Started as a free pack-in

No, no, not really. Got packed in after they marketed it to death to the people who already owned SNES.

an compilation of 3 enhanced NES classics, 1 semi-new game (to the US anyway).  Enhanced Zelda 64?  Also free.  ZM?  Practically a brand new game considering how much was added.

It's not so much a moneymaker as something like the NES classics series is, but it's trying to make a point. Nintendo's core base is S/NES nostalgics, and they can't get much further than that because they only make major new games so fast and they have almost no third party support for GameCube. Their GBA fortunes have fared much better by the virtue of being, until now, the only game in town.

But considering the huge installed PS2 user base--how does one justify purchasing a system that offers largely the same gaming experience as the PS2?

But how many of these games are carbon copies of their PS2 counterparts? Metal Gear Acid isn't a clone of any previous MGS game. By what I've read, Ridge Racer isn't a clone of a previous game. Ape Escape and Tony Hawk would be.

Hell, the DS costs 100 bucks less, games are 10 bucks cheaper, you don't need a memory stick.

I'm not going to defend the pricing scheme. I didn't like that they decided to charge $50 more in North America than they did in all the other regions of the world. At $50 more than DS, it would have been competitive. Right now, it's a high cost toy I can live without.

How does one justify the additional cost?

Eventually, the cost will come down. However, assuming Nintendo starts a pricing war, expect the same events that happened last time between SNES and N64. Sony makes stronger gestures to third-parties to please come and develop for their system through one of several methods, including perhaps lowering licensing fees, and Nintendo rails on third-parties to do what they want them to do and pay what they want them to pay because they're Nintendo damnit and they own this sector.

That's how they went from conquering the world with Super Nintendo to finding themselves on the verge of irrelevancy with N64, excluding moments of consumer interest with Goldeneye and two Zelda games.

I thought that "sole remaining market" were little kids?

I didn't say that.

And what's your point?

I'm saying that Nintendo has a core base that is fiercely loyal to them, and will always buy the Nintendo machine in addition to whatever other consoles they own (if any) because they have been playing Nintendo since Super Mario rescued the Princess for the very first time and they sure as hell aren't stopping now.

In North America, Nintendo is using that base like a crutch, relying on it and exploiting it more than ever. It would be like if Volkswagen decided to quit making all their cars except for the New Beetle because they can survive as long as children of the 60s keep buying that car for nostalgia.