TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DCMaximo

Impulse purchases

While home for the Easter weekend, I decided to look through my CD racks for more albums to take back to my flat on Monday. In doing so, I realised that, in years gone by when I had more money, I'd bought a lot of albums purely because of the cover or the album name, to mixed levels of success. These included:

"Dial M For Motherfucker" by Pussy Galore- bought for it's title and it's cover (a man with a huge afro kicking down a door), only to find to my joy that Jon Spencer (of Blues Explosion fame) was a member and the album was actually really good, although still not good enough to justify such a good title

"Aeromusical" by Superbus- bought while on holiday in January for about £2, a purchase I justified because of it's cover

B0000630QM.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

using the logic that any band using that much pink and blue would have to provide at least some throwaway pop fun. The end result? The French No Doubt. C'est la vie

Am I the only one to be seduced by interesting looking albums, or is this regular practise for others?

Couple times. I noticed the Sneetches because they had an album called Starfucker but I looked into them a little more before I got anything.

c945106800a.jpg

is solely responsible for my introduction to Aphex Twin.

I started on Junior Kimbrough thanks to the cover of this compilation:

f42959gjtm0.jpg

The back cover's even better. That's him in my avatar as well. You can tell that guy knows the blues just by looking at him. Never did get the compilation though. I rarely do, I prefer regular albums.

Back in college, I bought School of Fish's self-titled debut on cassette merely because I thought the name of the band sounded like something I would like. Lo and behold, I did like it, from beginning to end. On a recent trip to Newhope, PA, I found it on CD at a used record store for $3. Snatched it up right away. Man, did that take me back.

Unfortunately, I didn't have as much luck with Gaye Bikers On Acid. Boy, did that suck balls...

i got introduced to the velvet underground solely because i liked the holographic cover of the special edition of 'loaded'. i saw the cover, and i instantly bought it. i think that's the only time i've ever done that.

Never bought an album strictly for its cover (chocalate and cheese comes close, but I liked voodoo lady), however I bought

Blonde Redhead's latest after hearing one song from it on the radio. I mean I immediately drove to the closest record store and bought it, despite having never heard anything else from them.

Now that I think about it, I actually can contribute to this. I bought Limp Bizkit's "3 Dollar Bill, Yall$" Soulfly's self-titled, The Ernie's "Meson Ray" and Hed (P.E.)'s self-titled without ever hearing a song. They all went in and out of rotation quickly.

However, when I got "Supermercado!" by 2 Skinnee J's, they eventually became one of my favorite bands.

My friend bought a CD from CURL UP AND DIE based on the name and the track listing:

1. We

2. Are

3. All

4. Dead

5. 100 M.P.H. Vomit Dedicated to Jon

6. On the Run from Johnny Law Ain't No Trip to Cleveland

7. Ted Nugent Goes AOL

8. Total Pandemonium

9. Doctor Doom, A Man of Science, Doesn't Believe in Jesus, Why the Fuck D

10. You'd Be Cuter If I Shot You in the Face

11. Make Like a Computer and Get With the Program

12. Your Idea of Fascism and Global Intervention Makes Me Puke

13. I Lost My Job to a Machine

14. Kissing You Is Like Licking an Ashtray

15. Rich Hall (Runner Up in a Carson Daly Lookalike Contest)