TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thrashist

Final verdict on DVD editing of Lesnar v Goldberg?

Guest Thrashist

Now I know there was some debate after the Wrestlemania XX DVD's release that the company had edited the match to drown out some of the 'boring' and 'this match sucks' chants. But I never came across anyone who had actually watched the PPV airing from tape and the DVD back-to-back, with most people only going from memory. Did we ever reach a collective conclusion on that?

But yeah, watching that match--it's surreal. People who said it's bizarro world Rock-Hogan are correct. And for that, it's one of my favorite matches of all-time, for all of the wrong reasons. This would rank even higher on my list of funniest moments of all-time because man, you can't write comedy this good. This as a close to a ***** match a single crowd could get for its participants.

I recently watched the dvd version and from my memory I can say that very little, if any editing was done. You can clearly hear this match sucks chants and you sold out and boos and goldberg sucks, and boring chants. maybe they turned down a shade but not sure, i do have a tape from live ppv so i should check it out

Guest theanswer1824

my two cents:

any match where there's THAT amount of stalling in the begining is a forewarning for a sorry match. brock could have carried goldberg in the match if he wanted to but of course, other things were on his mind.

i loved the part when the crowd chants for austin. he has a crazy grin on his face. if it wasn't for austin, imo, that match would have been more diarhea instead of the peanuts and turd match it turned out to be.

also, i use headphones all the time. it's a real good way to find out if they've edited audio. they have done it for many of the dvds.

It's a shame circumstances spoiled what could have been a decent match. But once they realised the crowd was against them, they should have quit the stalling and got into it a hell of a lot quicker.

It was a match that was incredibly hyped and people wanted to see, but since it was both guys last match with the company, it took all the heat away from it.

I still say its by far the worst match in WrestleMania history. Even that match where King Kong Bundy Squashed that Jones guy in about 10 seconds was better. At least that served its purpose of getting Bundy over more, plus since it was only about 10 seconds was quick and painless, unlike this abortion of a match.

You know what the funny thing is.

If you turn on the Spanish commentary during the Boring chant, you can clearly hear it.

**Runs down stairs to find DVD**

Guest Eric the Eagle

The funny thing is, that it's quite easy to see what they're trying to do in that match; Hogan/Warrior. The staredowns and ineffective shoulderblocks could have worked, too, if they'd done it in one minute instead of ten...

Guest Tjhe CyNick

I didn't think it was that bad of a match.

They just never had a chance, the whole crowd wanted to crap on those guys, and they did just that.

Although why they booked all the stalling to start is beyond me. I mean I know they were going to struggle to fill time, but geez, at least do some lame brawling, dont just stand there and make funny faces.

From my memory it seemed like they did a bit of editing, but I could be wrong. Gotta check out that Spanish DVD thing though.

The match was good BECAUSE the crowd shat on them.

No-

The match was probably fun to watch because the crowd shat on them. It doesn't make the match itself good

Two minutes of the match are edited out along with Austin's exit mainly due to the beer can hitting him right in the face.

Guest Mr. FoosBrawl

I was at WM 18 and also WM 20. The crowd reaction for the Rock/Hogan match was an experience I dont think will ever be duplicated. Cheering and booing during that match was amazing, and will always stand out as one of the most memorable moments I've had at a live event.

The Goldberg/Lesnar match sucked live. I was expecting a good big man match, and neither Goldberg nor Lensar delivered. I was sitting in a section of the arena with one fan dressed as Hulk Hogan and another fan dressed as the Macho Man. Their interaction was the best part of the match! It was actually really good, and they had captured the attention of several nearby sections of MSG. Security made them stop because they were causing such a ruckus.

Guest Hass of Pain

I was actually more interested in this match than most on the card and was looking forward to a good, epic faceoff between two of the biggest stars in wrestling. It's a shame the idiots in the crowd took it upon themselves to kill the match in order to

get themselves over. I guess I'm in the minority, but when I watched I wasn't thinking "Wow, the crowd is so SMART, what a MOMENT", I was thinking "thanks for killing the match I paid to see dead in the water from the start you tools".

That's why Chicago is so much better than New York and Philadelphia as far as wrestling cities go. Chicago is constantly a hot crowd that reacts enthusiastically to the show, they don't try to hijack it to prove how smart they are.

I was actually more interested in this match than most on the card and was looking forward to a good, epic faceoff between two of the biggest stars in wrestling. It's a shame the idiots in the crowd took it upon themselves to kill the match in order to

get themselves over. I guess I'm in the minority, but when I watched I wasn't thinking "Wow, the crowd is so SMART, what a MOMENT", I was thinking "thanks for killing the match I paid to see dead in the water from the start you tools".

I didn't see this live though I had heard what happened...in fact I saw it for the first time on tape maybe 6 months ago...I agree with you...even going back after you already knew, it totally kills the match right from the start...

I was actually more interested in this match than most on the card and was looking forward to a good, epic faceoff between two of the biggest stars in wrestling.

That epic five minute standoff followed by several minutes of epic collar-and-elbow tie-ups...?

EPIC!

It's a shame the idiots in the crowd took it upon themselves to kill the match in order to

If I paid to see a good match and they give me shit, I see no fault in tossing shit back

Count me in the "greatest match ever, albeit for the wrong reasons" crowd

Guest Hass of Pain
That epic five minute standoff followed by several minutes of epic collar-and-elbow tie-ups...?

They were like deer in headlights from the opening bell. If you think that they had the same match that they were going to have, you are delusional. Both were quite capable workers, especially in the style they would have went for, and if the crowd wouldn't have ruined it they would have had one of the better matches on the card.

If I paid to see a good match and they give me shit, I see no fault in tossing shit back

You are dead wrong. You are speaking as if the fans decided the match wasn't good and they turned on it. They killed the match before the opening bell. The fans had no idea if the two guys would have "given them shit" because they were too situated on their high horses to even give Goldberg and Brock Lesnar a minute or two to prove themselves.

It may have been cute to the people in attendance, but I would imagine the hundreds of thousands of non hardcore fans, especially the kids, who paid to see it felt cheated out of a dream match by the crowd ruining it, and didn't find the fans to be as clever as they certainly found themselves to be.

Next time one of those idiots with their backs turned to the match gives their notice to their job and moves into a new career, I hope Brock Lesnar shows up on their last day at work and chants ridiculous things at them.

Guest Hass of Pain
EPIC response

I'd love if Brock came to chant on my last day, but only if they were EPIC chants

EPIC!

If the most intelligent response you can come up with to back your shallow opinion is mocking my use of the word "epic", then I'll save my energy for someone who would actually like to debate like an adult.

I sincerely doubt any amount of typing I do would change your mind about TEH EEVIL MSG CROWD anyway

Like CWM said, the only good thing about the match was the crowd. If it wasn't for the crowd, I wouldn't think twice about this match. The crowd carried this match to ****79/100

Now that I think about it, this match, combined with the Benoit title win, were the ONLY reasons I bought the WMXX DVD, so Vince should thank the crowd for that much

I think both guys could have worked a decent match, in the style of the Goldberg/Steiner match from Fall Brawl 2000, if they had been allowed to. I think that they were probably just told what kind of match it was going to be in order for them to both be shit on by the crowd.

It's a real shame considering how well the match had been built up. That's "WWE Logic" for ya.

The crowd definatley makes the match.

The only thing I can remember from the match was how the crowd shit on both guys. I can't even remember who won to tell you the truth.

Guest Hass of Pain
Like CWM said, the only good thing about the match was the crowd.  If it wasn't for the crowd, I wouldn't think twice about this match.  The crowd carried this match to ****79/100

That logic is incredibly faulty. The crowd sabotaged this match so severely that there is no chance it could have possibly been any good from the start. I don't think that you can give any crowd credit for "carrying" a match that they were responsible for killing in the first place. You also can't look at the end result and say "the match sucked so I am glad the crowd did what they did", because the reason the match sucked was because the crowd turned it into a trainwreck from the start and both guys obviously didn't know how to deal with it. Without the crowd, there is no reason the match couldn't have been at least ***1/2, but obviously all of the stalling and half assing was done because of the crowd overshadowing the match so severely there was no other way. I would rather have a ***1/2 Goldberg/Lesnar match on my DVD than a bunch of goons making a spectacle of themselves, but that's just me. I think most casual fans would agree though.

The other humorous irony is that the New York crowd is totally disrespecting Lesnar and Goldberg for walking away from WWE after giving their notice, and creaming themselves over Steve Austin who had somewhat recently walked away from WWE twice on far less professional terms and racked up domestic abuse charges in his absence. Oh those New York fans are so sophisticated.