TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

IGN to sell ads to be put in games

I liked Game Players! Bill Donahue was craaaaaaaaaaazy.

That was my favorite Game Magazine. I still have the last few issues of "Game Players" and the whole run of "Ultra Game Players" before it was turned into Game Buyer (I think). Then I subbed to Next Generation, which was another decent magazine that also got canceled, and replaced my 1 remaining subscription issue with Game Pro which I didnt renew.

Then I got the internet and stopped worrying about print mags that are at least a good month, if not 2 or more, behind the internet.

I did find this for some nostalgia:

http://ugp.trenchman.com/

Did Next Generation get cancelled for poor sales? What happened to it?

Game Players and Ultimate Game Players were a lot of fun. Game Buyers was awful though. How many issues did that even last, anyway?

GameSpot I trust much more than IGN. They're generally pretty honest, and their video reviews kick ass. Their Halo 2 review, posted the night the game went on sale, mentioned within the first few minutes that the ending isn't going to satisfy many people. I kind of cringed at the thought of the all the "OMG U SPOILERED ME" or "THAT ENDING KIKED AZZ U FOOL" messages they were going to get for that, but appreciated the thought anyway. And it's harder to find a game more marketing-heavy or fanboy-friendly than Halo.

Also good is X-Play on G4, if you like their comedy bits and low-budget SNL style sketches planted around the reviews. If you don't like a comedian, you may just want to stick to the reviews on their web site, which issue the same opinions with a lot less entertainment. While so much of G4 is basically summed up "game industry cock-sucking in an MTV format," X-Play seems to take the opinion of a game going in that it's going to suck, and then hand out good ratings once it impresses them, instead of vice-versa. I've seen a number of ho-hum games with nothing REALLY wrong with them get crappy scores for not really having anything special going for them.

And then, of course, it also has Adam Sessler and his complete hate for anime tie-in games, RPGs, and just about most Japanese games that aren't called Zelda or Mario. They tend to ridicule the people on their message boards for getting antsy about that. A review for a poorly-rated DBZ game had a small picture-in-picture the whole time of some guy spazzing out and shouting, representing the DBZ fans on their boards as they panned the game.

I liked Game Players! Bill Donahue was craaaaaaaaaaazy.

That was my favorite Game Magazine. I still have the last few issues of "Game Players" and the whole run of "Ultra Game Players" before it was turned into Game Buyer (I think). Then I subbed to Next Generation, which was another decent magazine that also got canceled, and replaced my 1 remaining subscription issue with Game Pro which I didnt renew.

Then I got the internet and stopped worrying about print mags that are at least a good month, if not 2 or more, behind the internet.

I did find this for some nostalgia:

http://ugp.trenchman.com/

I did the EXACT same thing. wow. :)

I loved Game Players and Next Generation. They were definite great magazines. *realizes how everything good form his childhood is gone*