TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Demolition in the future for WM 3 venue....

http://www.detnow.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/a...3682102,00.html

Pontiac Silverdome Closing for Good after 2006 Super Bowl

By The Associated Press

April 7, 2005

PONTIAC, Mich. - The 80,000-seat Pontiac Silverdome, former home of the Detroit Lions, will close after the 2006 Super Bowl activities in early February, an official says.

No more events will be booked and nothing but what is necessary to carry off the Super Bowl will remain after the end of December, said Frances Fowlkes, chairwoman of the Pontiac Stadium Authority.

Silverdome officials are finalizing a contract to host practices and events leading up to the Super Bowl, which is set for downtown Detroit's Ford Field, the current home of the Lions, The Daily Oakland Press reported.

Two groups of developers, led by Schostak Brothers and Etkins Equities, have been recommended as finalists to redevelop the 132-acre Silverdome site.

You think Dave Meltzer will be there to try and count each and every seat?

Pontiac is a shit town. I've spent most of my life there, so I know.

After the Lions broke their lease it was only a matter of time before they tore the Silverdome down. All the Silverdome is good for now is hosting the Warped Tour...and all you need there is the parking lot really.

Well, if they did another show, it would just be a letdown. Do you know how hard it is to set a fake attendance record? Last time they were there, they had 93,173 people! 93,173!

93,173!

93,173!

93,173!

Really. It really happened. It's not like they just made it up and Vince McMahon's proudest moment which he still brags about to this day was a huge lie or anything. No siree Bob.

Guest DVD Spree

Aww, for a minute I thought Ax and Smash were coming back. At… um, the nest WrestleMania 3. D'oh.

If the Silverdome holds 80,000 people for a Lions game, then it's completely reasonable to think 93,173 is closer to accurate than 78,000. I was there and that place was jammed with people. Seats and stadium floor.

Last I read, I think they were talking about putting an industrial park in the Dome's spot. Now all they use it for is truck pulls, concerts, and a drive in theater.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF @ Pontiac, MI - Silverdome - July 19, 1986 (5,000)

Scott McGhee defeated Moondog Rex

George Steele defeated Tiger Chung Lee

King Harley Race defeated Lanny Poffo

WWF Tag Team Champions Davey Boy Smith & the Dynamite Kid defeated Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart

Billy Jack Haynes defeated Bob Orton Jr. via disqualification

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan defeated Don Muraco

WWF @ Pontiac, MI - Silverdome - October 23, 1987 (6,625)

Lanny Poffo defeated Barry Horowitz

Koko B. Ware defeated Bob Orton Jr.

Butch Reed pinned Superstar Billy Graham

WWF IC Champion the Honkytonk Man defeated Brutus Beefcake

Davey Boy Smith & the Dynamite Kid defeated Demolition via disqualification

Don Muraco pinned Hercules

Ron Bass defeated Hillbilly Jim

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan pinned Killer Khan

WWF @ Pontiac, MI - Silverdome - November 29, 1987 (matinee)

Jacques & Raymond Rougeau defeated Boris Zhukov & Nikolai Volkoff when Jacques pinned Zhukov

Don Muraco pinned Killer Khan

Bam Bam Bigelow pinned Butch Reed

Jake Roberts fought Ted Dibiase to a double count-out

WWF Tag Team Champions Rick Martel & Tito Santana defeated the Islanders when Martel pinned Tama

WWF IC Champion the Honkytonk Man defeated Randy Savage via count-out

Silverdome results from Cawthon

Last I read, I think they were talking about putting an industrial park in the Dome's spot. Now all they use it for is truck pulls, concerts, and a drive in theater.

And if WWE ever wanted to, an outdoor event.

If they still decide to hold Wrestlemania XXIII in Detroit, they could hold it at Ford Field and still get 70,000+

Does the place have a dome? IF not it would be too cold for an outdoor show in late March. Plus, I wouldn't wish a trip to Detroit on anyone, even HHH. I was there last summer and the place looks like Beruit, complete with burned out buildings. Lovely city, that Detroit and the roads are fabulous.

I bet when the Jets get their new stadium in NY they might get a wm bid....if WWE is still around in 10 years. Or do they not want wms in any NY arena except MSG?

Yeah it has a dome...it's fucking Detroit, it doesnt usually hit 50 until about late April. And come on the city isn't that bad in the area over by the Stadiums and whatnot

Imagining busloads of IWC members surrounding the silverdome and running in and stealing the seats and taking them back to a warehouse for counting.

Yeah it has a dome...it's fucking Detroit, it doesnt usually hit 50 until about late April. And come on the city isn't that bad in the area over by the Stadiums and whatnot

If you stay on Woodward Avenue in that stretch of downtown where the stadiums and the theater district are ....it's not too bad. Beyond that area, well.........

Mexicantown isn't bad and over by Wayne State and the like is not a horrible place it is just a matter of what you consider bad. With all the damn suburbanites coming through the city now sometimes I think I mysteriously ended up in Royal Oak