TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

One and Only Star Wars Geekiness Thread

I was just thinking about this recent trilogy, putting it in some perspective. One big reason that it won't prove as popular overall as the originals is that the plot is byzantine in how much of a mindfuck it really is. Let's review:

--Palpatine (as Sidious) manipulates the Trade Federation dumbasses into invading Naboo under the guise of a trade dispute, thus forcing Amidala to come to him for help and essentially has the current Chancellor removed and himself put in power. Palpatine really could care less about the overall success of the Federation since they are basically jobbers anyway, and if anything their failure makes him look better in the Senate. Darth Maul is sent to occupy the Jedi and if he can take out a few, so be it. The man is a fucking genius.

--In the time between Ep. 1 and 2 Palpatine (again as Sidious) gets his new apprentice, Count Dooku, to preorder a clone army despite the lack of an urgent need for one. Dooku, who is almost as brilliant as Palpatine (but not quite as we later find) installs himself as the leader of a separtist alliance with the Trade Federation and Co. in an effort to start a massive galaxy wide war with the Separatists and the very clone army he arranged! The Jedi have no clue about any of this shit, and really, how could they? And due to the situation Palpatine is given emergency powers in the Senate.

--In the third film Palpatine's power is now nearly complete. He betrays Dooku and lets Anakin chop his head off, and then of course does the whole manipulation thing to get Anakin on his side. Without Dooku the Separtists don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, so they are quickly finished off by the Jedi and Clones, and new apprentice Vader eventually kills the Trade Federation morons. Oh, and of course the Jedi are nearly all wiped out and Palpatine is now Emperor.

The more I think about it, the more brilliant the whole scheme is. The Clone War was rigged to begin with...the Separtists were an enemy that Palpatine himself created, the clones an army he himself had created.

RobotJerk said:
The word "balance" implies two equal sides, doesn't it? Maybe the prophecy meant the Sith would come to equal the Jedi with Anakin's help.

I don't think so. From my understanding of the way the Force works, there is no "Light Side" per se, just "The Force" and "The Dark Side".

The Jedi use the Force while "at peace, passive". Emotion does not enter into it. The Force is in balance.

The Sith use the Dark Side while full of passion and emotion. They channel their hate and anger and fear into it. The Force is then out of balance.

As a friend of mine said, it is more of an eastern philosophy than a western one.

I saw some simliaritys between the Jedi order and Buddhism. You have the Jedi who are all about using the force for others, to help them and to serve - I saw this as being similar to the Mahyanas Bodhisattva. Then you have the Sith which is about using your skills for your own personal gain - I saw this as being similar to the Theravada traditions Arhat. I'm in no way suggesting that Arhats are evil though :P This is just one very basic similarity which was brought to my attention in this film.

Guest PlatinumBoy

As for Yoda vs The Emperor compared to Mace vs The Emperor; I figure that Yoda is better than Mace at Force stuff and philosophy, praying, meditating, etc. whereas Mace is the better warrior. They both were the top dogs. These movies also make me gain new respect for Obi Wan and Luke. Also, don't discount Obi Wan--the book makes him out to be nearly an equal to Mace and Yoda and a lightsaber god. It makes sense he could beat Vader at the time because Vader may have had the potential, but Obi Wan had the skill and experience.

The more I think about it, the more brilliant the whole scheme is. The Clone War was rigged to begin with...the Separtists were an enemy that Palpatine himself created, the clones an army he himself had created.

Good post. Palpatine orchestrated a war in order to take out three factions: make the Senate and populace reliant on him to "bring peace" to the galaxy, seperate the Jedi out and surround them with his own troops such that slaughtering them would be easy, and making sure the leaders who actually wanted some kind of reform (the seperatists) would be wiped out. There was no one left to oppose him, as the Senate was pretty much under his yoke (like how they applauded when he created the Empire). Really cool stuff.

Sadly, I think most people are too busy bitching that the acting was 2nd rate or about Vader's "Noo!!!" to notice how strong the plotting for both Eps. 2 and 3 was.

I just stumbled onto a site detailing a short film made during the making of ROTJ called Return of the Ewok, apparently Warrick Davis owns the only copy of the film. It looks really cool, first I'd ever heard about it. Anyone else know about it?

Here's the site Return of the Ewok

I found nothing wrong with Vader's no.

Palpatine's series of no's seemed more strange to me.

The more I think about it, the more brilliant the whole scheme is.  The Clone War was rigged to begin with...the Separtists were an enemy that Palpatine himself created, the clones an army he himself had created.

Sadly, I think most people are too busy bitching that the acting was 2nd rate or about Vader's "Noo!!!" to notice how strong the plotting for both Eps. 2 and 3 was.

What about the sublimial political BS that Lucas was promoting in Eps 2 and 3....that was anti-Bush?

The more I think about it, the more brilliant the whole scheme is.  The Clone War was rigged to begin with...the Separtists were an enemy that Palpatine himself created, the clones an army he himself had created.

What about the sublimial political BS that Lucas was promoting in Eps 2 and 3....that was anti-Bush?

Considering they were written BEFORE Bush took office?

(Ep. 2 was filmed in the summer of 2000, and the plot for Ep 3 was constructed at leat at that time, since Lucas knew where he was heading with the story well ahead of filming Ep. 2)

Not likely.

Guest Vitamin X
RobotJerk said:
The word "balance" implies two equal sides, doesn't it? Maybe the prophecy meant the Sith would come to equal the Jedi with Anakin's help.

I don't think so. From my understanding of the way the Force works, there is no "Light Side" per se, just "The Force" and "The Dark Side".

The Jedi use the Force while "at peace, passive". Emotion does not enter into it. The Force is in balance.

The Sith use the Dark Side while full of passion and emotion. They channel their hate and anger and fear into it. The Force is then out of balance.

As a friend of mine said, it is more of an eastern philosophy than a western one.

You're close. The way the Force works, and it's repeated by both Sith and Jedi, is that there's a light side and a dark side to the force. Palpatine isn't lying when he is saying that the Sith and Jedi are similar in almost every single way, with a few minor differences. One isn't necessarily evil, and one isn't necessarily good, but are different. "Evil, is a point of view, Anakin." The man has a terrific line there. G_Money observes it pretty well:

I saw some simliaritys between the Jedi order and Buddhism. You have the Jedi who are all about using the force for others, to help them and to serve - I saw this as being similar to the Mahyanas Bodhisattva. Then you have the Sith which is about using your skills for your own personal gain - I saw this as being similar to the Theravada traditions Arhat. I'm in no way suggesting that Arhats are evil though  This is just one very basic similarity which was brought to my attention in this film.

Totally agreed, and especially of note is that the Sith aren't necessarily evil, but approach the same thing in a different way.

I was just thinking about this recent trilogy, putting it in some perspective. One big reason that it won't prove as popular overall as the originals is that the plot is byzantine in how much of a mindfuck it really is. Let's review:

Argh, enough with the spoiler tags! I agree with you, though. This will come from the same people who think the Matrix trilogy is too confusing, wherein reality they didn't pay attention to the fuckin plot enough to understand it, or lacked the capacity to do so.

Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher's acting in Episode IV/Star Wars was worse than anything Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman did. It's very true, check both of them out and compare. It wasn't until Episode V that things looked polished.

And personally, Christansen I didn't find so terrible as Portman, which is a shame because I really liked Natalie.

Some of you guys should check this out though, for a quick laugh-> http://padme.ytmnd.com/

Oh please. The subliminal political BS was present there since the original trilogy, it has nothing to do with the present-day situation. In fact, it could be argued that the original Star Wars has a Cold War feel to it. If you look at the Republic/Rebel Alliance's logo, it vaguely resembles a blue eagle, and the Empire's logo vaguely resembles a red star. Considering it was made in 1977 and all..

I never understood the hate the Matrix got, I thought they were pretty damn good movies, not hard to understand, and Agent Smith is one of the coolest heels in cinema...

Guest Vitamin X
Matrix Revolutions was an awful way to end the trilogy, but Reloaded was really good, except to the people who found it too "confusing". I wonder why...

Matrix Revolutions was an awful way to end the trilogy, but Reloaded was really good, except to the people who found it too "confusing". I wonder why...

I hope that "I wonder why" was sarcasm.

I think the filmmakers intentionally left so many unanswered questions about Neo just to fuck with us.

I loved Reloaded. It was great, the highway scene was an amazing action sequence. Matrix 1 is still fun, but I was disappointed with Revolutions.

Guest Vitamin X

I hope that "I wonder why" was sarcasm.

I think the filmmakers intentionally left so many unanswered questions about Neo just to fuck with us.

Oh yeah the I wonder why was definitely sarcasm.

Things I noticed on second viewing:

+ R2 trips a battle droid as the ship begins to fall for the second time.

+ When Grievous snatches lightsabers (I believe) out of the droids hands, the droid replies "You're welcome" in a sarcastic manner.

+ The Millenium Falcon can be seen as the Invisible Hand crash lands.

+ The Seperatists (Nute Gunray, San Hill, Poggle, Wat Tambor, Run, etc.) all awaiting Grievous to get off his ship on Utapau.

+ Barris Offee is on Kashyyyk and is shown for a split second. I could have sworn that was her.

+ The wookie that puts a detonator on one of the Seperatists machine and jumps into the water does a Tarzan yell.

+ The clonetroopers that shoot Ki-Adi Mundi down are MOTHERFUCKING SNOWTROOPERS!

+ A quick shot inside the Jedi Temple before we go to the Younglings.

+ The Emperor's shit faced grin as Vader right before Vader screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Anakin walking to the Temple is a badass scene indeed. Same goes for Order 66.

Here's something that was just brought to my attention...

When Lucus decided to replace Shaw with Hayden for the head shot in the ending of the DVD version of "Jedi"...why didn't he also replace the outfit (since, except in Ep I, we never see Anakin in those color Jedi robes?)

Just a minor thought.

When Lucus decided to replace Shaw with Hayden for the head shot in the ending of the DVD version of "Jedi"...

Neat. What else did they add in the new DVD set?

Guest Vitamin X

Practically all the special effects, so that they would match up with the prequel trilogy. While this doesn't work going from Episode III to IV/Star Wars (I mean, come on we're going back in time almost 3 decades- plus IV didn't have nearly the budget that the others did for SFX.. so many parts of it, particularly the sets, look outdated) it's beautiful in Empire Strikes Back, and, I'm hoping in Return of the Jedi (which I'm getting tommorrow from Netflix)

When Lucus decided to replace Shaw with Hayden for the head shot in the ending of the DVD version of "Jedi"...

Well, Jabba doesn't look like shit anymore and looks more like himself from Episode IV. Although I still wonder how his ass got around with no legs.

They also replaced the original Emperor (a lady with a super imposed Chimp eye voice by Clive Revill) with Ian McDiarmid (the Emperor from I, II, III, and VI).

Guest Vitamin X

Well, Jabba doesn't look like shit anymore and looks more like himself from Episode IV. Although I still wonder how his ass got around with no legs.

They also replaced the original Emperor (a lady with a super imposed Chimp eye voice by Clive Revill) with Ian McDiarmid (the Emperor from I, II, III, and VI).

That's incorrect. McDiarmid played Palpatine in 1983's Return of the Jedi as well, then came back to reprise that role in Phantom Menace.

His filmography certainly states so.

That's incorrect. McDiarmid played Palpatine in 1983's Return of the Jedi as well, then came back to reprise that role in Phantom Menace.

His filmography certainly states so.

that's what he said...