TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

One and Only Star Wars Geekiness Thread

Guest Fook

There are Transdoshans is KOTOR 1 and 2, but you can't be one. You can only fight them.

Guest Vitamin X
RobotJerk said:
The word "balance" implies two equal sides, doesn't it? Maybe the prophecy meant the Sith would come to equal the Jedi with Anakin's help.

I don't think so. From my understanding of the way the Force works, there is no "Light Side" per se, just "The Force" and "The Dark Side".

The Jedi use the Force while "at peace, passive". Emotion does not enter into it. The Force is in balance.

The Sith use the Dark Side while full of passion and emotion. They channel their hate and anger and fear into it. The Force is then out of balance.

As a friend of mine said, it is more of an eastern philosophy than a western one.

I saw some simliaritys between the Jedi order and Buddhism. You have the Jedi who are all about using the force for others, to help them and to serve - I saw this as being similar to the Mahyanas Bodhisattva. Then you have the Sith which is about using your skills for your own personal gain - I saw this as being similar to the Theravada traditions Arhat. I'm in no way suggesting that Arhats are evil though :P This is just one very basic similarity which was brought to my attention in this film.

Actually, I did a bit of research in this, and I don't see the slightest bit of what you're talking about, though it did inspire me to see what religious basis the "Force" and all such things have, and do a bit of research. The closest similarities I found were much more with Taoism than Buddhism, primarily because of the division of light and dark as illustrated by the yin-yang symbol most of us are familiar with. This is taken from wikipedia, describing the principles of the yin-yang:

Principles

Everything can be described as either yin or yang

1. Yin and yang are opposites.

Everything has its opposite—although this is never absolute, only comparative. No one thing is completely yin or completely yang. Each contains the seed of its opposite. For example, cold can turn into hot; "what goes up must come down".

2. Yin and yang are interdependent.

One cannot exist without the other. For example, day cannot exist without night.

3. Yin and yang can be further subdivided into yin and yang.

Any yin or yang aspect can be further subdivided into yin and yang. For example, temperature can be seen as either hot or cold. However, hot can be further divided into warm or burning; cold into cool or icy.

4. Yin and yang consume and support each other.

Yin and yang are usually held in balance—as one increases, the other decreases. However, imbalances can occur. There are four possible imbalances: Excess yin, excess yang, yin deficiency, yang deficiency.

5. Yin and yang can transform into one another.

At a particular stage, yin can transform into yang and vice versa. For example, night changes into day; warmth cools; life changes to death.

6. Part of yin is in yang and part of yang is in yin.

The dots in each serve as a reminder that there are always traces of one in the other. For example, there is always light within the dark (e.g., the stars at night), these qualities are never completely one or the other.

For those who don't know, Yin represents dark and Yang represents light, and therefore you can distinguish how they represent what you see in Star Wars. Further insight into what the Tao is, makes is appear like "The Force":

Beliefs

The Tao caused the creation of the universe.

The Tao is the energy that flows through all life.

The Tao surrounds everyone in the form of nature.

Everyone must observe and reflect on nature to find enlightenment.

An adherent’s goal is to become one with the Tao.

Everything in the universe outside of what is man-made is the Tao.

The many gods are manifestations of the one Tao.

Everything is cyclical.

Each person must nurture the Tao or 3 bodily energies (Jing, Ch’i, Shen) through activities such as exercise and meditation.

One should be prudent and think before acting.

People are inherently good.

Follow the art of wu wei: let nature take its course.

Practice detachment.

Source

It's quite fascinating, but it's obvious to see where they got their basis from. So yeah, all in all Star Wars is really just subliminal Taoist doctrine.

In the novelization of ANH, there were four squadrons of fighters, with Red and Blue Squadrons (later changed to Gold and Red for the movie) doing the trench run while Green and Yellow Squadrons kept the gun emplacements and extra TIEs busy.

Naturally the technology of 1976-77 could no support all of that.

Guest Askewniverse

I came across this earlier today and it's pretty interesting. It's a .pdf file that covers most of the cut scenes from the ROTS screenplay.

Guest Ether
There are Transdoshans is KOTOR 1 and 2, but you can't be one.  You can only fight them.

Not to mention that you need to download it from XBox Live in the first one.

Question: Did Jerry Lynn have galactic Basic on his tights or are they just random symbols that happen to almost look like letters from the Star Wars alphabet? It's hard to tell but I'm sure someone knows. I just noticed this while watching AR99 the other day.

Guest Fook

The kid who played Boba is 18? That would make him about 15 in AOTC. With that voice, I figured he was 12 at the most.

Fook, AOTC was filmed 5 years ago, in 2000.

People are overreacting. Here's what the article actually said about it:

Lucas said Logan's character may be included in his live-action Star Wars TV series, which is in the works.

link to the real article

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-0...star-wars_x.htm

Fook, AOTC was filmed 5 years ago, in 2000.

People are overreacting.  Here's what the article actually said about it:

Lucas said Logan's character may be included in his live-action Star Wars TV series, which is in the works.

link to the real article

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-0...star-wars_x.htm

overreacting? my setiments actually mirror what Kotz said...do we really NEED Boba Fett on this show to make it work? I mean I can understand maybe one or two episodes, but no more than that...I never really got why people were so fascinated with him...guy says 3 lines the entire series, gets killed in the goofiest way...what's the fascination? I'm an IG-88 fan myself...

You don't *need* him, but he is 1 of the most popular "bad guys" in the original trilogy. What's wrong w/ using a popular character to get people to watch? Maybe use Fett to "give the rub" to some of the other bounty hunters?

There's nothing wrong with giving him an episode of the series, but having him as a principal character is a huge mistake.

Do we even know what the format of this thing is going to be? A different thing each week, or an ongoing storyline?

aren't the current rumors floating around that it takes place between ROTS and ANH? guess that covers a LOT of ground...it'd be cool seeing how Han came to be the guy we all know and love, his friendship with Chewbacca, etc. I also wouldn't mind learning how Leia became such a badass...

Guest Essa_Angelico

Just got this from AICN.

I will make it short. Rick McCallum, the co-producer of Star Wars the Revenge of the Sith, revealed the details of Star Wars TV series when he was at the press conference in Japan today. The article I read was from the Mainichi Shimbun (Mainichi Paper) web site, a reputable newspaper in Japan.

He said,

The story will take place in about 20 year span between Episode 3 and Episode 4.

It will depict how characters end up being together (didn’t mention who).

It will depict how Luke grows up.

George Lucas will start working on it as soon as he finishes Indy Jones, he said. The production will start next year, and the whole series will be about 100 hours long.

He also mentioned 3-D version of all six movies “within two to three” years.

Link

I've got a bad feeling about this...

Guest Vitamin X

I really wish they'd put effort into making a third trilogy rather than a TV series which will suck ass.

Here's a question that's been rattling around in my brain...

In ROTJ, when Palpatine is trying to turn Luke to the Dark Side by getting him to kill Vader- what would have happened afterwards? Palpatine's body gaurd would be dead, which would allow Luke to kill him- after all, even if Luke turned to the dark side, why would he want to join Palpatine when he could just kill him on the spot? Palpatine colud fry Luke with the lightening, but then he'd be down 2 aprentices.

Discuss.

Luke would have been Palpatine's apprentice. Why would he kill him? Luke wouldn't know anything about the dark side powers, so you'd assume Luke would want to learn them from the only guy w/ the requisite knowledge.

Wouldn't he be pissed, though, that all of his friends (and sister!) are being killed? I know he'd technically be evil, but still- Anakin still careed about Padme up till the end, and it was made apparent in the book that Vader would have killed Palpatine if he had still had his full power. Wouldn't Luke do the same thing?