TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

One and Only Star Wars Geekiness Thread

Guest SP-1

That's entirely possible. "You were the chosen one!" was something of an outburst for the usually reserved Obi-Wan. He seemed in control right up until that moment, almost impishly warning Anakin about the high ground. I think he really wanted the kid to come to his senses throughout that duel, right up until that moment.

One thing Lucas pulled off was that even though I knew what was coming and there was no stopping it, I felt like I think Obi-Wan felt as I described above. I wanted Anakin to turn back around. I wanted him to come to his senses, to fight back against the pull of the Dark Side. I very much didn't wanted him to become Darth Vader. Especially in the seconds before he

makes his choice between Mace and Palpatine.

Edited by SP-1

I was on the Jedi Council Forums today and you wouldn't believe how many people think Mace Windu and Aayal Secura are STILL alive. Nevermind the fact that one had his hand cut off, then electrocuted the hell, and then fell a from a great distance and the other...well...see for yourself:

byebyeaayla.jpg

Chris: I don't mean to say that the ysalamiri couldn't exist or that I dislike the "concept" of pushing awaythe Force. Both they and the Yuzhon-Vong seem more to me like writers with no better way of coming up with an adversary for the Jedi than by finding all of these neat races or species that either make the Force not work or "aren't a part of the Force".

Rendclaw: I'll be honest. I don't think it's possible for any novel to "feel" like Star Wars. The movies are far too fast paced and visual for the more relaxed medium of a novel. I think the Zahn novels (at least the first three, I haven't read any of the other ones) were as close as it will ever get.

I think Obi-Wan wanted to kill Anakin at the end, but even seeing his best friend in agony and totally lost to the dark side, he didn't have it in him to just finish it. Remember, he wanted Yoda to send him after Sidious instead of Anakin because he knew he couldn't kill him.

It's part of the guilt he feels throughout the Original Trilogy, that not only was his training apparently insufficient to keep Anakin from falling to the Dark Side, but when he had the chance to kill him and end it, he couldn't. It's that guilt that exiles him to a remote corner of the galaxy almost as much as watching after Luke.

Christopher Lee, with one expression conveying the nobility of Count Dooku's aristocratic background, instead of begging for his life and telling Anakin of Palpatines treachery, taking the killing blow like a man.

(((That wasn't taking it like a man, that was him being shocked by the realization that Palpatine had been playing him all along to get to Anakin, and that he was ultimately expendable.)))

Compared to Sidious snivelling in front of Mace, it was a noble end in my eyes. Plus watch Christopher Lees face closely in that scene. When he hears Palpatine order Anakin to kill him his first reaction was shock, but, to myself anyway, it looked as if he was steeling himself just before Anakin struck the last blow. Though maybe if I watch it again I will think differntly.

Or maybe i'm just sticking up for him because its Christopher Lee

P.S: Whats up with this new quote system?

Rendclaw: I'll be honest.  I don't think it's possible for any novel to "feel" like Star Wars.  The movies are far too fast paced and visual for the more relaxed medium of a novel.  I think the Zahn novels (at least the first three, I haven't read any of the other ones) were as close as it will ever get.

Of course with novels that is slower pacing. I have yet to read a book that can match the pacing of a wel--done action movie. What I meant is that by capturing the "flavor" of the Star Wars universe, even though it could be different authors writing different stories, there is a certain method to it that will just grab me and put me right there, almost as if I am watching it as a movie. Zahn, Stackpole, Allston and Crispin each did a wonderful job in doing just that.

Christopher Lee, with one expression conveying the nobility of Count Dooku's aristocratic background, instead of begging for his life and telling Anakin of Palpatines treachery, taking the killing blow like a man.

(((That wasn't taking it like a man, that was him being shocked by the realization that Palpatine had been playing him all along to get to Anakin, and that he was ultimately expendable.)))

Compared to Sidious snivelling in front of Mace, it was a noble end in my eyes. Plus watch Christopher Lees face closely in that scene. When he hears Palpatine order Anakin to kill him his first reaction was shock, but, to myself anyway, it looked as if he was steeling himself just before Anakin struck the last blow. Though maybe if I watch it again I will think differntly.

Or maybe i'm just sticking up for him because its Christopher Lee

P.S: Whats up with this new quote system?

I'll give you that- apparently, Lee said that Dooku would never beg for his life, and asked that his line begging Palpatine for mercy be cut. I actually like that better, becauser it shows you just how devoted he was to his convictions.

I went to see it for the third and final time yesterday. Still holds up after third viewing. I'm Star Wars'd out now. Onward toward Batman Begins, then War of the World, then Fantastic Four, then King Kong.

Holy shit, that's a pretty big gap between FF and King Kong.

Guest JacK

I know how he wanted that whole 'only two Sith at a time' thing for some reason, buuuut, since all the Jedi knew about that, if they had've kept Maul alive they could've kept him with Dooku, even for a little bit, so then they would've assumed that they were the only Sith, so when they killed them it'd be over. Well, they probably did that anyway, but still.

Also, with the Obi-wan Anakin standoff at the end, I would've set it up so the Emperor's shuttle would've flown in while Obi-Wan was standing there, so instead of leaving him in there like a lump he would've left to save himself from Palpatine. But that's just me.

And the Extended Universe is ok, if you ignore some of the more ridiculously stupid books, like the Crystal Star amongst other things. But the New Jedi Order series seriously killed it for me, I couldnt get to the end. I mean what, were they all sitting around going 'Oooh, I know, how about we kill off half the fucking galaxy.' 'Yeah, that's a good idea, it's not like that'd make everything seem totally and utterly pointless.' Worst series ever.

Did anyone actually bother to follow it to it's end? How did it end? Because if it doesn't involve the turning back of time then it's stupid, if that sentance can make sense.

they leave it at Two Sith only because of how treacherous they are...think about it, there's a master and an apprentice, and the only way the apprentice becomes a master is by turning on and killing his master...it had always been that way since, who was it, Darth Bane (who created that rule)? There's was too much Sith infighting and it got to the pint where Bane (?) said fuck all this shit, it's just gonna be me and one other dude...Maul, Dooku and Sidious would never be able to co-exist...

He couldn't have Palpatine arriving and THEN Obi-Wan leaving because it would kill the notion that he thought all the Jedi had been wiped out...he would have hunted down Obi-Wan tirelessly and we never would have had the original trilogy...my guess is Obi-Wan assumed Anakin was finished and didn't want to watch his old friend slowly die...

what WOULD have been cool is if they would have found a way to work in the line: "That name no longer holds any meaning for me" as a response to Obi-Wan still calling him Anakin after his turn...

I read the second and third books of the New Jedi Order series only because it was Stackpole writing them. After the very first book, where Chewie gets killed, I had a sour taste in my mouth from that point forward.

from what i heard is that Chewie dies in the Vector Prime book.

Someone up there got to exactly why I don't like the EU for the most part, but I've never been able to verbalize it.

And the Extended Universe is ok, if you ignore some of the more ridiculously stupid books, like the Crystal Star amongst other things. But the New Jedi Order series seriously killed it for me, I couldnt get to the end. I mean what, were they all sitting around going 'Oooh, I know, how about we kill off half the fucking galaxy.' 'Yeah, that's a good idea, it's not like that'd make everything seem totally and utterly pointless.' Worst series ever.

When reading the stuff in the StarWars.com database and reading the books themselves, something always rubbed me the wrong way, and now I know it's because it turns into a comic book-like series of more and more absurd things happening and all kinds of technicalities and weird shit happening, like a race from somewhere else that lives outside of the Force. I mean, what the fuck. There's a constant oneupsmanship going on, and you eventually end up with a big mess.

Agreed on the Vong. The only 'biomech race' that ever really worked for me was the Tyranids (The Zerg are just cheap ripoffs of them).

I always thought that Luke, Han, and Leia should have died off over time. I honestly wish Lucas could have let them go in the later books (At least Han). It would make it that much more interesting to make it so that some of the main characters can die. Indeed, Chewie dies, but it's so long after the original trilogy that people were basically saying "Well, someone has to die sometime."

Except for Wedge. Wedge can never die because he rocks way too much.

Agreed on the Vong. The only 'biomech race' that ever really worked for me was the Tyranids (The Zerg are just cheap ripoffs of them).

I always thought that Luke, Han, and Leia should have died off over time. I honestly wish Lucas could have let them go in the later books (At least Han). It would make it that much more interesting to make it so that some of the main characters can die. Indeed, Chewie dies, but it's so long after the original trilogy that people were basically saying "Well, someone has to die sometime."

Except for Wedge. Wedge can never die because he rocks way too much.

Tyranids are what happened after the Games Workshop people watched the Aliens series too many times in a row.

And yes, Wedge Antilles should be an immortal part of the Star Wars universe. Screw the midichlorians, Wedge is the cause of the Force!

Just got done watching Star Wars. I refuse to call it a New Hope.

Yeah, Wedge is the shit. It's almost like Lucas saw the EU coming.

If we're gonna nitpick, the fact that the fucking DEATH STAR didn't have enough TIE fighters to fucking annihilate 30 rebel ships is silly.

That is my one nitpick out of an awesome movie. Oh, and the Biggs scene should have been in the original. Only thing they added that was good in the special edition.

Peter Cushing and James Earl Jones are so cool.

And after seeing it, my bitching about Hayden and Natalie Portman remain. Hammill and Fisher were proveded far better scenes out of sheer earnestness.

As a caveat, I think Christensen and Portman are actually decent-GOOD actors! Having seen shattered glass, leon, Beautiful Girls and Garden State, they are not talentless actors, so I must say that the direction and script were bad.

http://vadermakesaytmnd.ytmnd.com/

Holy shit, Dschinghis Khan, I love that song

Is tha tthe name of that song? I've been wondering wha tthe hell it's called.

Thank you.

Thats the band, nost famous for being Germanys entry in the 1978 Eurovision final In Israel, and entering a song about Genghis Khan, one of the most prolifice mass-murderers in history. Suffice to saw it didn't go down to well in Jerusalem, but they ended up in 8th place which wasn't too bad

If we're gonna nitpick, the fact that the fucking DEATH STAR didn't have enough TIE fighters to fucking annihilate 30 rebel ships is silly.

That is my one nitpick out of an awesome movie. Oh, and the Biggs scene should have been in the original. Only thing they added that was good in the special edition.

IIRC, the Death Star has more than enough fighters (7,000 TIE's according to my Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels) but Tarkin refused to launch them cause he didn't consider the Rebels a threat. So the only fighters that launched were Vader and his two wingmen.

There were also others. Seven or so are shown in formation early on soon after Vader says "We'll have to destroy them ship-to-ship, get the crews to their fighters." He doesn't join the fray with his two wingmen until later on after "several fighters have broken off from the main group."

And Zorin, check out my thread in Music. I've got a Muscovian surprise for you.

I'm currently playing through KOTOR for the first time (just recently got the Xbox) - man, those Wookies get screwed over anytime they let outsiders on Kashyyyk don't they?