BYTE THIS RECAP with Benjamin the new

Guest wildpegasus

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=10137&p=1

SHELTON BENJAMIN TALKS ABOUT NOT WORKING OUT, BENOIT, HBK, THE DRAFT, AND MORE

by Steven Fernandes @ 12:30:00 PM on 5/7/2005

Byte This – May 5, 2005

Hosts: Marc Loyd and Steve Romero

Guest: Shelton Benjamin

(Stuff in brackets includes my comments and stuff that wasn’t actually said on the show, etc.)

They show a clip of Shelton Benjamin-Triple H I from RAW last year.

Shelton Benjamin joins the show

Loyd congratulates him on successfully defending the title at the PPV. Benjamin says he’s been having a lot of success lately as far as the IC Title is concerned. (Ever notice he’s been losing every match where the IC title is not involved) He agrees with Loyd that his match at Backlash came down to a ‘flip of the coin’ in which any one of them could come on top.

Loyd asks him if there was any fuel to the fire about the things that Jericho said to him the weeks leading up to the match. Shelton says anytime someone calls you a ‘little b—ch’, it’s gonna rub you the wrong way. He says he doesn’t mind anyone calling him that because after the PPV, he proved he’s no-one’s b—ch. He proved that to Jericho and anyone else that was agreeing with him.

Romero says its amazes him to see the stuff Shelton does in the ring, with amateur wrestling background and he doesn’t lift any weights. Shelton says he is god-gifted. He gets a lot of grief from the guys due to the fact that he doesn’t have to go to the gym 4-5 times a week. Shelton says he’s been to the gym four times all year. Loyd says he can see why everyone hates him. Shelton adds in his defense that he rode with Chris Benoit, who he considers the most intense guy in the gym ever, for six months and did everything that he did. He was on his routine. He didn’t see much difference in himself. He hasn’t ridden with Benoit for 5 months and says he is going to look like this regardless. Romero says that he has heard that Benoit’s workouts are legendary. Shelton says “put it down this way. He’s broken down a few guys.”

Loyd asks him if he surprises himself with the moves he does in the ring. Shelton says every now and then he does surprise himself, like at the PPV where he jumped to the top rope and gave Jericho a Superplex. Its just one of those things where it comes up and his minds says ‘Do it!’ and afterwards he looks back and thinks ‘Wow, that was pretty cool’. He says he stands by what he says and that is ‘He can do things in the ring that most people can’t do.’ Lot of that stuff comes from his background obviously. He was an active child, experimenting with his own limitations. He likes to push his own limitations.

Romero asks for his thoughts on his Wrestlemania match this year. Shelton says that was a highlight of his career. Six short years ago, he was watching the other five who were involved in the match, and was thinking that he wished that he could one or two things that they were doing at the time. It was a great honor to be in the ring with Jericho, Benoit, Edge and Christian, who have done a lot of things with ladders. Shelton got to create his own Wrestlemania moment.

Loyd wants to know what was going through his mind when he was on the top of the ladder with Edge and then both came crashing down. (Someone has got to put Loyd on top of a ladder so that he can find out for himself.) Shelton says when he made the decision to do it, all he could think of was ‘this is gonna hurt’ and it did. But he didn’t show it, because the adrenaline was flowing. He said maybe we could see it because he didn’t get up that quickly after it happened. It said it took a lot out of both of them.

Email… wants to know what he was thinking when he climbed up the ladder and nailed Jericho. Did he worry about getting hurt? He says it’s the nature of their business to be dangerous and he never worries about getting hurt. Only when you do get injured that you start thinking about it. He says if you worry about it, then it is going to happen. He say’s the fun thing about the business is that injuries happen in the smallest ways. The worst injuries happen on the smallest moves (Ooohhh… way to rub it into Vince) As far as what he was thinking when he knocked Jericho, was that his head would stop Jericho, and that was the quickest logical way. Most people like to climb up ladders; he likes to run up ladders.

Romero asks him what was his favorite match so far, which segues into them bringing up his match with HBK this past Monday. Shelton says that match was something special. To be able to go toe-to-toe with HBK, who he calls a living legend and someone he likes to compare himself to, shows how far Shelton has come. He says it was a case of youth vs. experience and HBK caught him sleeping, which usually doesn’t happen. He says he might have come out on the short stick, but he learned a lot from the match as far as experience and how to deal with veterans go. He says there is no substitution for experience.

Loyd brings up the upcoming draft lottery and how last year’s lottery did wonders for him. Is he nervous that he could be drafted back to Smackdown this year? Shelton says its an opportunity for people to break out. He is excited about it and has mixed feelings about whether he wants to go back to Smackdown or stay on RAW. With the way things are going, you don’t know what’s bound to happen. Its one of those things where he’s got to sit back and be patient and wait till all the smoke clears.

Loyd shows the new Shelton Benjamin t-shirt which has the “ain’t no stopping me now.” saying and Romero wants to know how he came up with the saying. Shelton says its one of those life philosophy things. The little video that showed a little about his background, that was the tip of the iceberg. He had a ‘the sky is the limit’ attitude. His belief is once he gets an opportunity, there’s nothing that’s gonna stop him. Romero says that’s one catchphrase that’s catchy.

Loyd brings up the ‘THQ X-Box tournament’ and how Shelton always wins it. This year he beat John Cena. Loyd asks if he plays video games constantly. He says he doesn’t play as constantly as people think, but there are some games he naturally adepts to, especially fighting games. He got every games system there is. Playstation, X-Box, PSP. He’s always been a big videogame fan. You mix wrestling with videogames and for him it is a no-brainer. He’s pretty much rule with an iron-fist at these tournaments. He is competitive in any competition he takes part in. So while most of the others were taking this tournament lightly, he went in there to win. This year, he tried not to enter the tournament, only so that next year they could have a champion vs. champion situation. Romero says he doesn’t want to give his age away, but when he used to play videogames, all they had was ‘Pong’.

Loyd asks for his thoughts on his amateur coach getting inducted into the Amateur wrestling Hall of Fame. He is proud to have been one of his protégés. He took the bull by the horns and motivated him. He is a great coach, a great all-around guy. He's always done the best for his teams. Shelton is happy and proud for him. This isn’t the end for him. He is still the head coach, still fighting for championships and wishes him nothing but the best of luck.

Romero asks him if there’s anything that stuck with him from his amateur wrestling days. Shelton says whenever they stepped in that wrestling room, it was for a purpose. They had a set goal to accomplish. Because when they stepped on the mat, it was a test of their manhood. Whenever he steps in the ring now, it is a test of his manhood, because he has to prove himself every time. He adds that you are only as good as your last match.

Shelton Benjamin leaves the show.

Any feedback or comments?

i didn't know byte this was a full blown mark show.

Yeah I remember when Paul London was on the show they asked him to tell a road story and he laughed and asked "do I have to stay in kayfabe?" They quckly moved on.

Yeah I remember when Paul London was on the show they asked him to tell a road story and he laughed and asked "do I have to stay in kayfabe?" They quckly moved on.

:lol: omg....thats great.

It's actually not always a mark show, it depends on certain guests. They do like to throw mark questions out there but sometimes the guest will just break the kayfabe and say what they want.

Oh bullshit he doesn't work out. Natural my ass.

He's been an athlete throughout his teens, it's not impossible to believe he stays in good shape without lifting weights if his body developed during the same period he was involved in several sports. I do doubt that he'll stay that way once he passes 35 though, no matter how good his genes are.

Have you looked at the guy? There is natural size, but thats no natural "no body fat" and natural "muscle definition". That is fucking working out.

He is just trying to sound like those people that say they don't work out and eat whatever they want.

It's impossible for Shelton to not work out and look like that.

The rest of the interview is Kayfabed, I assume he just threw that in there.