TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

What records

in any sport?

No team in any sport will ever win eight straight like the Celtics did.

Sam Snead won eight times at Greensboro. Tiger's got four at Bay Hill and three at Firestone and Muirfield. Snead's might fall. No one's touching Jack's 18 majors, though. No, not even Tiger.

No one will ever go +128 in the NHL again. I'm not even all that confident Gretzky's 50 in 39 will stand.

I can't see anyone stealing 128 bases in a season either, as Rickey Henderson did.

Noone will ever break Johnny Vander Meer's two straight no-hitter record. I'm not even sure if someone is gonna tie it, but noone will throw three straight no-hitters.

Also, Cal Ripken Jr.'s iron man streak - I don't see that one falling

Cal Ripken playing in 2265 or whatever it was consecutive games and Joe Dimaggio hitting in 56 straight games. Pretty much any record that involves endurance...

I don't see anyone breaking any of Gretzky's major records.

Joe DiMaggio's streak, Ty Cobb's hit record and whatever the record for wins in a season are- won't be broken.

Guest The Iron Yuppie

Rugby League:

The St. George Dragons run of 11 consecutive premierships (1956-1966) in what is now the NRL (National Rugby League) is something that I can not see any team getting anywhere near to, let alone surpassing.

I think Wilt's 100 point game is the record most unlikely to be broken.  With the game as it is today, it is just crazy to think that would ever happen.

I could see a player scoring more than 100 points. Factoring in 3's and free throws..it wouldn't be completely impossible.

Ripken's streak wont be broken, unless Miguel Tejada does it..heh..but he's still got a LONG way to go.

Jamal Lewis' 295 rush yards in a game will probably be broken.

Guest Vitamin X

Favre's ironman streak, and Unitas' TD streak, MAYBE. (Although, as Favre said, "I knew one fella who came pretty close..")

I agree with alf, as well. None of the NBA records set before the 70's. Also, none of the NFL records set before the 50's.

Ripken's can be broken; it'll take a while yes, but with the DH, AL players can extend their streaks.

Without checking, I believe the modern single season B.A. record is Hornsby - 1924 - 4.24. That's unattainable, considering 4.00 might never be hit again.

Any power record is up for grabs.

Rose's hit record can be broken, Sisler's record was broken by Ichiro, and people like Ichiro, Pujos, Helton, Guerrero, and Tejada constantly get a ton of hits each season, and with better training each year, their careers are gonna last longer and longer.

Young's record is safe of course.

Ripken's can be broken; it'll take a while yes, but with the DH, AL players can extend their streaks.

I was under the impression that playing DH didnt count towards a consecutive games streak.

Also, in baseball, any record involving pitchers and Complete Games. Long time ago pitchers would get 30+ CGs in a season. That will NEVER happen again unless baseball gets turned on its head away from the "were doing good if the starter gives us 6 innings, then to the BULLPEN!" mentality. In fact "Brakeman" Jack Taylor threw 187 consecutive complete games between 1898 and 1907.

Cy Young's 511 wins wont be broken either. No way anyone is going to average 20 wins over 25 years. Someone hitting 400 wins would be amazing as it is.

Without checking, I believe the modern single season B.A. record is Hornsby - 1924 - 4.24. That's unattainable, considering 4.00 might never be hit again.

I'd like to know how Rogers Hornsby got more than 4 hits per at bat!

Just giving you shit, YOU BIG FAT LADY.

Guest Brian

Ichiro would never make it. He was 31, with 924 hits in four Major League seasons. That's 231 hits a year. Pete Rose had 4256 hits. He would need 14 and a half more seasons at that pace, playing until he's forty-five, at that exact pace. I think he's out of the running. Helton's in a similar boat, at the same age but averaging fewer hits a year. He has 400 extra hits on Ichiro, but averaging 35 less hits per season, so it would take him roughly the same amount of time at a high production level. Might have a better shot than Ichiro because his numbers are more reasonable as he grows older.

Pujols at 24 has averaged a little under 196 hits a year. He has an outside shot.

It would be extremely tough. Pujols has the best shot, with youth and production.

I was thinking to myself writing it, these batting averages look weird, I wonder if I'm writing it correctly. Totally spaced.

And I don't know about DH, I assumed.

Edit - And for the hit record, you have to remember how bad the pitching has become in general. It might gradually become easier to get 200 + hits in a season since so many more pitchers make it to the majors and the ERAs have ballooned.

I think DH counts, I can recall DHing quite a bit in his later years (then again this might have been after the streak was already broken).

Ricky Henderson's stolen bases in a season record cause 130 is inhuman.

Jack Chesbro's season win record of 41.

Hack Wilson's 191 RBI in a season will be tough, but doable. Ripken's streak is more than safe since players are way too much of investments now so if a guy gets any kind if tightness in the back of his leg then he's not DHing, he is sitting out a game.

Oh and the batting average record of .422 won't be touched.

Like Barron said, I think a lot of Gretzky's records are untouchable:

Goals in a Season

Assists in a Season

Points in a Season

Total Points

Total Assists

/just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others

Guest Lawlerm

In athletics Michael Johnsons 200m world record could stand forever. As could Jonathan Edwards triple jump record.

I doubt anyone will ever win a Major by 15 shots like Tiger did at the 2000 US Open.

I think the only thing that'll stop him getting Nicklaus' record is if he stops playing while he's still quite young. Which, considering how much money he's made already, is probably pretty likely.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

No one else is going to retire undefeated as Heavyweight champ.

In 30 years with the designated hitter, only one player has gotten even halfway to Ripken, and that was Steve Garvey. DHs tend not to be the most durable players.

The record post-1900 is .426, by Napolean Lajoie in 1901.

Also, in baseball, any record involving pitchers and Complete Games. Long time ago pitchers would get 30+ CGs in a season. That will NEVER happen again unless baseball gets turned on its head away from the "were doing good if the starter gives us 6 innings, then to the BULLPEN!" mentality. In fact "Brakeman" Jack Taylor threw 187 consecutive complete games between 1898 and 1907.

Here is a fun statistic. Of the top 50 pitchers in single season complete games, 2 were older than 29. Taylor himself was done by his mid-30s. Those complete game statistics are gaudy, but completely futile. Nowadays, it is simply good strategy to use dominant relievers and pinch hitters late in ballgames.

Edit - And for the hit record, you have to remember how bad the pitching has become in general. It might gradually become easier to get 200 + hits in a season since so many more pitchers make it to the majors and the ERAs have ballooned.

Pitching has not become bad. The environment has changed. Eight hitters in baseball logged 200 hits last year. Right now only Juan Pierre, Ichiro Suzuki, Derek Jeter and Darin Erstad rank among the top 100 in single season hits. It is not easier to get 200 hits than it was in the 1920s and '30s, when hitting was even more potent than it is now. The only player who has even a remote shot at the all time hits record is Albert Pujols, and his odds are about 50:1.

Will anyone ever bat above .400 again?

I doubt it. If you look at the records for hits, batting average and the like, you notice they are populated by players from before the turn of the century, or the early 20th Century. As baseball evolves, it becomes more difficult to produce an extreme performance. So records tend towards the mean over time.

Jerry Rice's 22 touchdown receptions in 12 games in 1987. No receiver in history has had more than 18 in a 16 game season and Rice did it in only 12 games due to the scab games of '87.