TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iliketurtles

Daivari works out with Benoit...

Shawn "Khosrow" Daivari posted on his web site that when he was in Europe, he wanted to train with Chris Benoit and Rob Conway and they warm-up by doing 500 Hindu squats. He said the average person can do 20 before cramping. I'd guess the average person could do closer to 100 on their first try, but they'll be hating life at around 60. Anyway, he got up to 325 to 400 and couldn't walk the next day. Well, you are supposed to build up slowly. He said he couldn't bend his legs on the Raw show, but with the adrenaline, he still worked the tag match. He said he pissed red, puked five times and pissed a Dr. Pepper color. He found out he had broken down muscle fibers in his legs to the point they got into his kidney and was pissing it out.

Da Meltz.

Directly from his website:

You know the drill...I'm sorry...just don't expect these often I guess! Mania was awesome!

You should know what happened by now. I've become an active wrestler in the WWE roster it seems.

I hope I haven't disappointed anyone yet. Now I'm gonna tell you a quick horror story about myself in Europe.

Chris Benoit and Rob Conway warm up before the matches by doing free standing Hindu squats. They usually

do about 500 a piece. It took them some time to build up to that many. The average person can do about 20

before cramping up. Someone in decent shape can do about 75-100. I wanted to give it a try so I went for it

and I did about 400...the last 75 were total crap with me using every ounce of my existence to get back up

so I'll say 325. The next day I couldn't even walk! I was so sore and tense in my legs that I couldn't bend

my knees past 45 degrees, and as the day went on my range of motion got less and less. Two days later

was RAW and I couldn't even bend my legs at all! Don't ask me how, because I don't know, but adrenaline

is a crazy thing and I ended up working a tag match which you saw on TV. I hobbled back to the locker room

and took a piss and to my amazement it was red. The next day I was in even

more pain and sick as hell. I puked about 5 times. I was managing

Mohammad and got through another day. Came back to the locker room

and my pee was blackish-brown. Like Dr. Pepper. Gave a sample to the

doctor and he ran some tests on it and got back to me the next day

turns out the red then eventually black was the actual muscle

fiber in my legs! They had been broken down so

much they traveled into my blood stream

got to my kidneys and I ended

up pissing it out. That's

why i was so sick.

Now I feel better after a

couple days, just legs are

really sore.

And that was my trip to Europe!

Sounds fun...

What are the free standing Hindu squats, I'm ready to piss some Dr. Pepper. Actually if they're what I think they are, I don't know if I could do 10.

Guest BobBacklundRules

Who else is going to try this tonight?

I know I am.

If I'm recalling correctly, Hindu squats are basically repeated squats with your heels off the ground and using your arms for balance and momentum. I'm sure somebody can explain better, but that's what they essentially are.

I just did about 25 cold and they indeed hurt like a bitch. I'm going to stop there since I'm happy pissing Mountain Dew and can live without seeing Dr. Pepper exiting my urethra.

How the hell do you do 500 squats BEFORE A MATCH?? I mean, I could get doing them over the week, when you're at the gym or something trying to keep in shape. But before a match? How the hell do they then get out there and proceed to work? That's crazy.

Like Shawn said, it takes a loooooong time but once you've done it so much, it doesn't hurt.

Karl Gotch once did 9,001 Hindu squats. NOT STOPPING.

It's basically a regular squat, except when you bend down you have your hands straight down and cupped like you are scooping up water. When you come back up, you bring your arms either parrellel with your chest, or above your head. You bring them back to your chest and repeat it.

Sounds easy, but it's not. Like with any working out stuff, you need to do it in small pieces. Like, do 25 a day. Then next week, do 35. Then do 50. Etc.

Alot of trainers don't recommend it just because things like this happen, with people over doing it.

Yeah, they're tough. But they are awesome for (1) muscle endurance and (2)strengthening your quad muscles. This is awesome for people with bad knees, as the muscle built really supports the knee.

Guest Brian

Daivari's a pussy. First-time I did these four years back, I hit 500. I read somewhere about Shammy doing these before he went to Japan, and they're not that hard if you work out your legs a good deal regularly.

Well, I'm proud to say, last night, I did 80. (shit that's enough) :D .

I've been working out for the last few weeks, but really only working out my arms, didn't think to work out the legs as, I'm just really trying to get my arms bigger first. But after reading this it 'inspired' :/ me I guess would be the word, and my legs are sore..from only 80, so doing around 500 without any prior legwork in recent weeks, put simple, would suck.

I wouldn't even do all of them at the same time, I just did like 20, then pushups, then sit ups, rinse repeat and that was a bitch. So kudos to Benoit, Conway, and all the other wrestlers who work out to that extent. Although they have the advantage of having done this for years compared to many of the new wresterls, so I guess that's a plus.

Guest news_gimmick

Damn this made me cringe. I would definately be hesistant to do that many without some sort of build up to that many.

I got up to 275. They are going to be kept as a part of my workout routine for sure. Just a great amount of burn.

You'll change your mind tomorrow morning, I promise.

I'm still debating on whether or not to try this. I do have incredible leg strength for someone whose legs are not much bigger around than my arms (I can leg press 250 last I checked, and I weigh 125-ish).

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I was just going to come and here and imply that Rob Conway and Chris Benoit do steroids but I changed my mind.

Guest Brian

And actually, if you have bad knees, bring your BUTT no lower then your knees and do not bring your knees past your toes.

Guest wildpegasus

Benoit's training routine typed out for me by some nice guy:

Raw Magazine: 11/04

Benoit does between 500 and 800 Hindu squats twice a week, and he runs or uses a step machine four to six times a week, depending on his schedule. He currently does 30 minutes of cardio after his weight training, but that varies from month to month.

But suprisingly, Benoit says one of the key to his workout is his warm-up routine. He sets aside 15 to 30 minutes before every workout to prepare for his assault on the gym.

"I'll take 10-pound dumbbells or 10-pound plates, and do just about every exercise in my routine," he says. "I'll do curls, triceps extensions, side laterals, front laterals, bent-over rows, bent-over laterals,a dn then I'll do some Hindu squats and strech my legs as much as possible. I also warm up my neck twice a week a day-once before I use free weights, and again before I wrestle. I do alot of isometric exercises for my neck. Basically, I just try to get the blood circulating through my whole body."

After warming up, Benoit trains with weights for about an hour, doing one of the four routines that make up his schedule. He does chest and biceps one day, back and trapezoids on the second, shoulders and triceps the third, and legs the fourth. Some weeks, he only does those four basic workouts, but when his travel schedule allows, he restarts the rotation, training up to 6 or 7 times per week.

On and given day, Benoit does 15-18 sets, comprised of 8-12 repetitions fro each bosy part (with the exception of biceps and triceps, which he'll do nine sets for each). And while no body body parts get special attention, Benoit says that he enjoys working shoulders the most.

"I also enjoy working legs when I train with other people," he says. "They are such a big body part, so I really train them hard, and I challenge myself to make the other person [i'm training with] quit, or not finish their workout. I don't make them do extra sets. I still do 15 to 18, but I train really hard when I do legs, and if I;m training with someone else, I'll push myself that much more. It's fun to watch them quit or throw up. I get a real kick out of that."

While Benoit does use heavy weights, he trains more for shape and conditioning than he does for strengh. One of his main goals is getting his heart rate up, and maintaining that heart rate throughout his workout. In order to accomplish this, Benoit rests for no more than 30 seconds between sets, and moves quickly from one exercise to another.

The Wolverine also doesn't beleive in "pyramid" workouts-starting with a low weight, working up to maximun weight, and working all the way back down. Instead, he opts to superset, working his muscles to failure. For example, when Benoit works his chest, after a set of 8 or 10 high-neck bench presses, he'll imediately grab dumbbells adn do a lighter set of bench-press flyes, working the same muscle group.

"Consistancy is really the secret to maintaining a great physique," he says. "I prefer free weights, but depending on where I am with my travel schedule, sometimes I'll use (machines), and other times I'll use free weights. Also, because I train in so many gyms, I get to use all different kinds of equipment. I;ve probably used every single type of workout equipment that has ever been made, which is a real treat."

I also enjoy working legs when I train with other people," he says. "They are such a big body part, so I really train them hard, and I challenge myself to make the other person [i'm training with] quit, or not finish their workout. I don't make them do extra sets. I still do 15 to 18, but I train really hard when I do legs, and if I;m training with someone else, I'll push myself that much more. It's fun to watch them quit or throw up. I get a real kick out of that."

I can't even begin to explain how insane that is. I got a laugh out of the last quote there.

Guest wildpegasus
And actually, if you have bad knees, bring your BUTT no lower then your knees and do not bring your knees past your toes.

Going on your toes when squatting would have to be bad on your knees because it'd be the same thing as putting a board underneath your heels when you squat and I know that's generally considered bad for your knees.

Guest Brian

Benoit and I are kindred spirits. We both get off on watching are workout parners suffer. I :wub: Benoit even more now.

And yeah, stay on your heels.

I got up to 275.  They are going to be kept as a part of my workout routine for sure.  Just a great amount of burn.

You'll change your mind tomorrow morning, I promise.

Actually, not all that stiff this morning. I won't say they aren't sore, but nothing more than I would get from a hard multi-mile run.

I am always sorest two days after working out a body part really hard. Update us on your condition tomorrow.