TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jorge Gorgeous

Sports WTFs

Montreal would never traded Roy to the Leafs. It would be on the level of Richard going to play there.

Vancouver would be the only team I can think of that would have grabbed Roy from a Canadian stand point, but they wouldn't be able to keep him long because of poor financing the year after.

Roy had to go to a western conference team because the Habs had too man rivalries in the East.

I for one, had no problem with him going to the Avs, but C'mon. I'd been happy if it was Fiset, Ruicinsky, Ricci and say two draft picks.

Oh, I know, I purposely omitted TO and OTT from my list of possible end destinations ... it was really just down to the Oilers, Flames or Canucks in my mind, at least for Canadian teams. And I didn't know how much Roy was making at the time, if it would have automatically eliminated Edmonton or Calgary as a possibility.

I just don't think it made sense to trade him to the team that used to be the Nordiques. Unless it was to rub it in the face of the Quebec fans that already lost their team; now the goalie that used to dominate their squad would be playing on it ... just in another city.

Edmonton had Curtis Joseph at the time I think.

The only teams I could see interested in Roy was Colorado, St. Louis and possibly Washington and Phili The rest of the teams allready had the niche with the goalies they had. (Detroit had Vernon and Osgood, Buffalo Hasek, Dallas Belfour, NJ Brodeur.)

I was at the 14-2 Mariners game, in Cleveland, on vacation. I used to be somewhat of a Mariners fan and my dad is somewhat of an A's fan so we saw an A's game and the next series was the Mariners and we had tickets for the game after the 14-2 game. We ended up buying scalped tickets for the 14-2 game also, and they were like 3rd row, right behind home plate. I was the only person rooting for the Mariners, and once the Indians came back, the drunken Indian fans sitting around me sure threw that in my face.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B08050CLE2001.htm

I still don't get how a team that won 116 games and set an American League record for wins blows a 14-2 lead going into the 7th inning.

As I sat there watching that game, I said to myself that Cleveland would come back. Not even jokingly either, I just said, "eh, they probably come back" and they did. Probably my best sports prediction ever.

The Celtics coming back against the Nets after being down 25 in the 4th; In the 2002 Conference Finals, I believe.

Larry Johnson's 4 point play to beat the Pacers in the 1999 Conference Finals. The crowd exploding is one of my favorite moments ever (along with the shot).

Really, Mariano blowing Game 7. He was virtually unstoppable up until that point.

The Jets making the Monday Night Football comeback against the Dolphins, after being down 23 in the 4th.

Stephon Marbury nailing like 5 near half court threes in like a span of two minutes.

Guest Mosaicv2

Probably the craziest baseball game of all time had to occured on the Fourth of July of 1985 between my Mets and the Braves. Mets had a comfortable 3-run lead in the 8th inning with great relieve pitcher Jesse Orseco on the mound... but he promptly gave up four earn-runs against them, luckly for the Mets they got a run in the 9th and forced extra innings where Keith Hernandez (I think) smash a two-run bomb in the 13th inning... BUT in the bottom of the inning, some hitter (I don't know) hit a one-on two-out game tying homer to force even more extra-inning game. Mets will then AGAIN get a run in the 18th inning... then going into the bottom of the inning, with two-out and no-on, the Braves had used-up all of their pinch-hitters, so they had to used their pitcher (Rick Camp: who was a .100 career batter) to hit. And on a no-balls two-strike pitch, the outfield was pull-in closer to the field, so it gave Camp a chance to CREAM THE BALL OUT OF THE BALLPARK to tie the game ONCE AGAIN. However, the Mets got away... scoring five-run in the 19th inning, however again the Braves try to tie it again, and with Rick Camp having a chance with the game-tying hit, will then strike-out and the Mets finally prevail.

Greatest and wildest baseball game of all time.

Jannero Pargo hitting those threes last week in Game Five.

Rex Chapman's three in the 96-97 Suns-Sonics division series, to send Game Four to overtime.

Billups and his halfcourt shot last year against the Pacers to send THAT to overtime. nogoodnick, IKCoolJew and I went crazy after that shot, especially since we predicted it would go in as he hoisted it up.

Guest StylesMark
Mike Tyson.

The ear biting? The rape? Everything in general?

A pick who turned out to be Forsberg, Simon, Duchesne, Hextall and 15 million for Lindros?

Forsberg had been drafted already by Philly.

Billups and his halfcourt shot last year against the Pacers to send THAT to overtime. nogoodnick, IKCoolJew and I went crazy after that shot, especially since we predicted it would go in as he hoisted it up.

Yo, me too!

A pick who turned out to be Forsberg, Simon, Duchesne, Hextall and 15 million for Lindros?

Forsberg had been drafted already by Philly.

Ah yes.

So who'd the draft turn out to be?

I still don't get how a team that won 116 games and set an American League record for wins blows a 14-2 lead going into the 7th inning.

They were playing the same team that found a way to pull this off.

The Jets making the Monday Night Football comeback against the Dolphins, after being down 23 in the 4th.

Along with being the best Monday Night Football game I've seen, it joins Oilers-Bills and Bucs-Colts as one of top WTF? comebacks of improbability ever.

Probably the craziest baseball game of all time had to occured on the Fourth of July of 1985 between my Mets and the Braves. Mets had a comfortable 3-run lead in the 8th inning with great relieve pitcher Jesse Orseco on the mound... but he promptly gave up four earn-runs against them, luckly for the Mets they got a run in the 9th and forced extra innings where Keith Hernandez (I think) smash a two-run bomb in the 13th inning... BUT in the bottom of the inning, some hitter (I don't know) hit a one-on two-out game tying homer to force even more extra-inning game. Mets will then AGAIN get a run in the 18th inning... then going into the bottom of the inning, with two-out and no-on, the Braves had used-up all of their pinch-hitters, so they had to used their pitcher (Rick Camp: who was a .100 career batter) to hit. And on a no-balls two-strike pitch, the outfield was pull-in closer to the field, so it gave Camp a chance to CREAM THE BALL OUT OF THE BALLPARK to tie the game ONCE AGAIN. However, the Mets got away... scoring five-run in the 19th inning, however again the Braves try to tie it again, and with Rick Camp having a chance with the game-tying hit, will then strike-out and the Mets finally prevail.

A couple notes. One, the game was already delayed 90 minutes by rain before it started. The third inning saw a 41 minute rain delay. It was Howard Johnson who hit the home run in the 13th inning for the Mets, and Terry Harper hit one in the bottom of the 13th for the Braves. The game ended a little after 3am, after which the Atlanta Braves proceeded with the planned post-game fireworks. The neighborhood was not very happy with that one.

Guest gthureson
WTF was Calgary's GM thinking when he traded Doug Gilmour, Jamie Macoun and 3 others for Gary Leeman and a bag of used pucks in 1992?

Dougie Risebrough was a rookie GM put in a tough spot. His best player was demanding a trade, and was going to sit out until he got one. (I forget why he wanted out of Calgary, maybe there was another incident with an underage babysitter, like there was in St. Louis).

As a rookie GM, Risebrough pulled the trigger on a deal far too quick. Interesting side-notes. Cliff Fletcher, the Toronto GM has been the Calgary GM forever up until Risebrough took over. One of the chief Calgary scouts (I think, maybe an assistant coach by that point), has been a scout in the Leafs system, and has a few guys he really liked.

The stage is set for Fletcher to be going after the guys he really likes, and the ex-Leafer to be going after T.O. guys he thought were good. Remember, though, that Calgary had a Stanley Cup 2 years previous, and a Cup final appearance 2 years before that. Toronto had...well, nothing to show for all their scouting and trading. Should be obvious who can spot talent and who can't.

Leeman did have a 50 goal season, and no one could predict he would drop off the face of the earth like he did. Alex Godynyuk was the guy the ex-Leafer really wanted, apparently. Thought he was going to be a stud. Craig Berube was decent for what he was. An enforcer you could play on the third line if you had to. Reese and Walmsley were interchangeable, really. Career back-ups. One a bit better than the other, but that wasn't the part that made the deal so tilted towards the Leafs.

It was the Flames including Macoun and Nattress, and getting Michel Petit and Godynyuk back. Leeman for Gilmour, at the time, was fair. Leeman could score goals and skate like hell, Gilmour played better defence and could pass. But the Flames giving up two very solid and dependable blueliners and getting journeymen back is what killed the trade for them.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Wasn't that the Lewis/Akinwande fight? Akinwande never fought Michael Grant.

And if you think that's bad, apparently Akinwande is still fighting, and scheduled to face a 7' Russian named Nicolay Valuev in July. I've heard of Valuev many years ago in the last 90s, but he has yet to face a name opponent, and is now 40-0.

As for a boxer, how about Shane Mosley? He looked like a possible great before losing twice to both Vernon Forrest and Winky Wright.

Whoops. You're right. I should've remembered it was Lewis, because that was shortly after Oliver McCall went crazy go-nuts and broke down crying in the ring against Lewis.

I heard Akinwande was in prison, actually, for something fucked up like aggrivated assault against a minor, or some sex crime. He must've gotten out.

Mosley was really talented, and reminded me a lot of Jones Jr. He was just unfortunate enough to get TOTALLY cornered and figured out by Forrest, and he never mentally overcame that.

Probably the craziest baseball game of all time had to occured on the Fourth of July of 1985 between my Mets and the Braves.  Mets had a comfortable 3-run lead in the 8th inning with great relieve pitcher Jesse Orseco on the mound... but he promptly gave up four earn-runs against them, luckly for the Mets they got a run in the 9th and forced extra innings where Keith Hernandez (I think) smash a two-run bomb in the 13th inning... BUT in the bottom of the inning, some hitter (I don't know) hit a one-on two-out game tying homer to force even more extra-inning game.  Mets will then AGAIN get a run in the 18th inning... then going into the bottom of the inning, with two-out and no-on, the Braves had used-up all of their pinch-hitters, so they had to used their pitcher (Rick Camp: who was a .100 career batter) to hit.  And on a no-balls two-strike pitch, the outfield was pull-in closer to the field, so it gave Camp a chance to CREAM THE BALL OUT OF THE BALLPARK to tie the game ONCE AGAIN. However, the Mets got away... scoring five-run in the 19th inning, however again the Braves try to tie it again, and with Rick Camp having a chance with the game-tying hit, will then strike-out and the Mets finally prevail.

A couple notes. One, the game was already delayed 90 minutes by rain before it started. The third inning saw a 41 minute rain delay. It was Howard Johnson who hit the home run in the 13th inning for the Mets, and Terry Harper hit one in the bottom of the 13th for the Braves. The game ended a little after 3am, after which the Atlanta Braves proceeded with the planned post-game fireworks. The neighborhood was not very happy with that one.

How about the 93 Phillies along these lines. Game 2 of a double header vs. Padres started around 1:30 am due to rain. Game ends up going 10 innings and ends on a Mitch Williams single that scores Inky from second. The game ended at 4:40 am.

They had announced at the end of game one that game 2 would start at 1:30 and tickets were free, so apparantly a few thousand turned up from the bars to check it out.

Also, four or five days later I think the Phils won a 20 inning game that ended close to 2 am. Playing after midnight twice in a week time probably doesn't happen all that often.

Also, four or five days later I think the Phils won a 20 inning game that ended close to 2 am. Playing after midnight twice in a week time probably doesn't happen all that often.

They did. Mike Williams pitched six innings in relief for the win.

Its funny how sox fans like to make fun of the yanks and say they choked, but if thats true, then your team only won the pennant and series cuz the other team choked. kinda takes some credit away doesn't it? lol The only game I would consider a choke was 4 since it was the 9th inn and all, game 5 gordon really blew the game, not mo. then of course sierras ground rule double that prevented the go-ahead run in extras.

Last weeks cardinals comeback from 6 down in the 9th vs Reds was a wtf moment to me, cuz I had changed the channel and saw it was 9-3 in the 8th, changed back and they had runners on and hit a couple of homers to take lead. wow.

of course the mariners-yankees game yesterday was a wtf fest.

That's really weird, I don't remember that game at all.

Here's one: I was sitting in the box seats at Yankee Stadium last Labor Day getting ready for some Yanks/D-Rays action on a sunny day, and TB doesn't show up for hours and hours later, and the 1:00 game is played at like 8 that night. Of course, I had to leave the Stadium rather that wait around all day and night because I had to get back to school. That was a major WTF right there.

That's really weird, I don't remember that game at all.

Here's one: I was sitting in the box seats at Yankee Stadium last Labor Day getting ready for some Yanks/D-Rays action on a sunny day, and TB doesn't show up for hours and hours later, and the 1:00 game is played at like 8 that night. Of course, I had to leave the Stadium rather that wait around all day and night because I had to get back to school. That was a major WTF right there.

There was seriously a 3 page argument over that whole fiasco in the MLB thread at the time. I'll admit I was wrong, but Angelsault bitched a lot worse.

As long as we're pulling up old boxscores here's a good one

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B07010CHA1990.htm

Andy Hawkins throws a no-hitter for the Yankees, loses 4-0. White Sox score four in the 8th on two walks and three errors.

I remember that game.....The eighth inning was a nightmare for the Yanks and I remember feeling so bad for Hawkins. They looked like a circus show

One of my WTF moments has to be the anticipated boxing match between Jameel McCline vs. Michael Grant. The bell rings to start the fight in the 1st round, McCline comes in, throws one right straight, knocks Michael Grant down, Grant gets up and then as he recovers discovered that his fuckin ankle is broken.

There goes Michael Grants career. One of the weirdest things i've ever seen.

The Marlins have won 2 WS already.

(See also in the WTF Dictionary "The '97 Indians choke in the 9th of Game 7 of the World Series")

Unfortunately, I've seen it plenty but it's kind of a blur amongst all the other Cleveland sports disappointments with the most recent events being the Cavs' collapse in '05 and the leader of the Kell's Angels wiping out on his moped.

As long as we're pulling up old boxscores here's a good one

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B07010CHA1990.htm

Andy Hawkins throws a no-hitter for the Yankees, loses 4-0. White Sox score four in the 8th on two walks and three errors.

I remember that game.....The eighth inning was a nightmare for the Yanks and I remember feeling so bad for Hawkins. They looked like a circus show

One of my WTF moments has to be the anticipated boxing match between Jameel McCline vs. Michael Grant. The bell rings to start the fight in the 1st round, McCline comes in, throws one right straight, knocks Michael Grant down, Grant gets up and then as he recovers discovered that his fuckin ankle is broken.

There goes Michael Grants career. One of the weirdest things i've ever seen.

I saw that fight, that shocked the hell out of me.

Speaking of the Oilers.....I kind of miss them. I was never a fan but it kind of sucks that they were moved to Tennessee. Do the Titans trace their lineage back to the Oilers? Like for history and stuff?

And do the Ravens trace there's back to the original Browns?