TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

DUSTY'S GONE!!!!

Here's the news from today's Meltzer update:

Dusty Rhodes just resigned earlier today as TNA booker when informed by Dixie Carter that they were going to a committe booking format. Rhodes was at a meeting earlier today with Bill Banks, Jeremy Borash, Scott D'Amore and Dixie Carter when he was told about the change. He will be staying on as a television character and at this point the belief is he'll remain the public Director of Authority on the shows.

Wow, the other show finally dropped. I wonder what affect this while have on the PPV. Maybe we'll see that title change after all from this new committee that will want to set themselves apart. I wonder who's on it though....

With Dixie Carter on the committee, it does increase the chances of the long needed NWA Title change. Although it depends on if any of the other members want to publicly suggest a title change as well.

They should get rid of Dusty as a TV character as well, or at least get to phasing him out soon. The on TV authority figure is part of WWE's template of how to do wrestling and TNA needs to format it's programs so it's more like an alternative to WWE, not a low rent version of it.

Here's a more detailed report from Mike Johnson:

Dusty Rhodes is out as TNA booker following a meeting in Nashville, TN today. According to one source, Rhodes opted out after being presented with the chance to work as part of a committee to book and format the next TNA PPV, Hard Justice, which would have included several other names with Jeremy Borash, Bill Banks, and Scott D'Amore's name being mentioned. One source close to Rhodes stated that he stepped down but will be remaining with the company as talent and continuing as their on air "Director of Authority."

According to TNA sources, Rhodes' departure wasn't something that caught them off guard or unexpected. TNA's side of the story is that the move was something that had been building for some time and Rhodes was simply moved out of power in favor of the committee.

The move really isn't surprising to anyone who has been following the situation, as Rhodes' power had been cut out from under him more and more in recent weeks with some of his characters and storylines dropped after the Destination X PPV received negative critical response. The feeling of Rhodes' latest appearances at the TNA tapings were that he was someone who was doing what was asked of him, as opposed to someone who was running the show.

The committee idea sounds good, but they really need to have one person having the final say rather than several. With one person making the final decisions, the general direction of the company will be consistent, as it's one person having the ultimate say, and you won't have things being pulled in many different creative directions like you would have with a committee. Not to mention that for the committee idea to really work, they all have to be on the same page in terms of the direction, and they need to be totally united and not be looking to undercut each other, or you'll have happening what happened in WCW, with someone going to three different committee members for the finish to their match and getting three different replies. The committee can work, but they don't have any margin for error, especially at this stage in the game.

Guest OSIcon

As up and down as Dusty's booking can be, that committee doesn't look any better. I don't know how Borash jas a job in wrestling at all yet alone being part of a booking team.

Not to mention that Borash 'studied' under Vince Russo.

I wonder how many times the term "water cooler talk" will come up at those committee meetings?

Not to mention that Borash 'studied' under Vince Russo.

I wonder how many times the term "water cooler talk" will come up at those committee meetings?

I wonder how many times the term, "Oh shit, now what do we do?" will come up.

Until I hear who is all involved in this committee and how the structure of it really will be, I think this was a bad move as of right now. With a ppv coming up Sunday, now is not the time to change things up all of a sudden this drastically - even though I understand that something needs to be done with Rhodes. But I thought the TNA writing has been alright these past few Impacts finally, and Rhodes maybe had a chance to make something interesting out of the product. Oh well.

If they have the right people on the committee, this could save the company (Shane Douglas gets my vote). If they have certain guys focus on booking the different title divisions, it could work.

If they have the right people on the committee, this could save the company (Shane Douglas gets my vote).  If they have certain guys focus on booking the different title divisions, it could work.

Oh most definately - but in the same breath, if guys like Mantel and Jeff Jarrett are back on top of this committee, I can't right now see that as a good thing.

My feelings on what they should do is have Jerry Jarrett being the main writer, with a committee below him of Mantel, Douglas, Borash, Carter, etc. NO Jeff Jarrett in creative PLEASE. Have Jerry Lynn at least run part of the X division, as I think he could lay out matches well in general.

Jarrett should not lose the title this Sunday.

He should drop it to Styles at the "Slamiversary" PPV. Why give JJ a 11-month reign when you can play off the "YEAR LONG REIGN" gimmick that is so rarely seen anymore?

Have Tito accidently cost Styles the match. Allege that Tito is in Camp Jarrett. Rematch with Tito as enforcer. Ref bump. Tito in. Knocks Jarrett's head off. False finish. Stroke countered. Styles clash. NEW CHAMP. WM 14 ish w/ a fresh take.

Tito becomes mega popular, much more over w/ hick crowd.

Styles starts reign.

Next PPV:

Styles Vs. Athletic challenger

Jarrett Vs. Tito Ortiz

Great X Title bout

Pretty good Tag Title bout

Excellent X undercard

Useless but has-to-be-there crappy undercard match w/ Rhodes, Hardy, or Raven

I'd buy it.

I'd check it out.

If they have the right people on the committee, this could save the company (Shane Douglas gets my vote).  If they have certain guys focus on booking the different title divisions, it could work.

Oh most definately - but in the same breath, if guys like Mantel and Jeff Jarrett are back on top of this committee, I can't right now see that as a good thing.

My feelings on what they should do is have Jerry Jarrett being the main writer, with a committee below him of Mantel, Douglas, Borash, Carter, etc. NO Jeff Jarrett in creative PLEASE. Have Jerry Lynn at least run part of the X division, as I think he could lay out matches well in general.

I say: Jarrett Sr., Douglas, and Carter book the main event, and D'Amore and Lynn book the X Division. Mantell sucks and I don't think Borash is useful for anything, much less booking.

I don't care who books the tag team division as long as they don't just play favorites with AMW like its been for, oh, forever.

I say: Jarrett Sr., Douglas, and Carter book the main event, and D'Amore and Lynn book the X Division. Mantell sucks and I don't think Borash is useful for anything, much less booking.

I don't care who books the tag team division as long as they don't just play favorites with AMW like its been for, oh, forever.

That sounds good - if anything Mantel could run someting like the tag division perhaps? I dont think he has much value either but under a committee, much like Rhodes, he might be alright. I always liked his IWA stuff for the most part from what I've seen. Maybe have him run a HC division?

Here's an interview with Dusty where he discusses give up the booker job:

Just a few days after our critically acclaimed interview with the lovely Kimberly Page, we bring you a man who has done it all in this business. He's wrestled, managed, and booked. And, his story truly does describe what the American dream is all about. He IS "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes and he's the latest guest on The Interactive Interview!

We are the first, as far as we know, to speak to Dusty since he resigned as the booker for Total Nonstop Action. We talk about that in depth as well as about his fantastic new book (I've read it, it's fantastic) titled "Dusty: Reflections of An American Dream."

This interview will also air on our live broadcast on May 24 but we decided to make it available early in order for you all to keep up to date with the TNA booking situation.

To download this show in streaming media, visit http://www.wrestlingepicenter.com/shows/Du...hodes/dusty.ram

To download this show directly to your desktop, visit http://www.wrestlingepicenter.com/shows/DustyRhodes/dusty.rm

-- The show opens up with a little "American Dream" theme as we play Dusty's theme song from his common man run in the WWF/E. Wow, that one brings back memories!

-- Dusty is pleased to be joining us and says he's had fun doing interviews promoting his book so far.

-- Erik immediately asks the question on all Internet fans' mind, "What's going on with you and TNA?" Dusty says, "Like I said, the book is selling well..." He then laughs and goes on to answer the question.

-- Dusty says the situation is fairly simple. Dusty is doing a lot of things right now including writing a sitcom, a movie, and promoting his book as well as doing public speaking and says, "To tell you the truth, I don't have a lot of time to deal with something I don't really believe in." He goes on to say that he will continue to work for TNA as an on air talent. "There's a scoop but there's no scoop. I hope they do good."

-- "I wanted to make it different. I'm a different guy from a different era. With the book, I wanted to put some reflections in there." He says he wants to put stuff in there about Dick Murdoch, his son, his life, and everything about his life. He says he didn't want it to be just another wrestling book and that's why the cover is different for the way most wrestling books look.

-- They took the photo from the cover of the book with the lights from an airplane.

-- Dusty feels Florida Championship Wrestling was ahead of its time because of all the fantastic talent and characters that passed through. He names guys like Kevin Sullivan, Nick Bockwinkel, Purple Haze, Eddie Graham, and others. He also feels that he and Gordon Solie had a similar situation going as Mohamed Ali had with Howard Cosell. He feels either Gordon Solie or Jim Ross will go down as the best commentator of all time.

-- Speaking of Jim Ross, Dusty confirms that he indeed was contacted about being a part of the 2006 WWE Hall of Fame. He says it would be a great honor and that "Superstar" Billy Graham spoke to him about it in 2004 but Dusty had loyalties to TNA at the time.

-- Dusty said his era was from 1974 through the late 80's. He doesn't consider his WWF character his best but doesn't think it was that bad either. He feels he made it work.

-- Dusty knew he was to have a valet with his "common man" character. He was thinking a long legged "hooker" would work. Instead, he got an older woman in Sweet Sapphire. He says this was an occasion where Dusty's vision was one thing and Vince's was another and Vince's vision turned out to be right. He feels Sapphire was sensational.

-- Dusty, back on the book, mentions that he talks about this in his book. He mentions that his book is different from all the others and he waited to do this a little bit because he knows the first one is always the best. He thinks Mick's was the best of the books that came out.

-- Dusty has not yet read Flair's book. He has heard what Flair says about him, though. Dusty says they've always had a business relationship. Erik asks if they're friends now and receives an emphatic "no" from Dusty. But, Dusty mentions that they never were. But, they knew how to work well together. Dusty jokingly says Flair should send him some money for how often he's on Flair's "Ultimate Collection" release.

-- Erik mentions how James and Flair got into an on air confrontation. Dusty laughs and says, "He is who he is. What you see is what you get."

-- Dusty thinks one more match between he and Flair on pay-per-view would draw.

-- Chris Yandek mentioned to James that there is a promoter in Florida who is dying to put on a Dusty Rhodes vs. Hulk Hogan match. Dusty thinks that would be cool but doesn't think it will happen because Hogan's hip is not in great shape and he thinks the time for that to happen has passed. He does say he'd absolutely love to team with Hogan though.

-- Dusty gives the WWE credit for how they steamrolled their books out after Mick Foley's was so successful and made every book look like a best seller with their promotion machine.

-- Dusty is impressed that James asks about Dusty's returning to the booth. Dusty says that is one thing he'd like to do and thinks the people would like as well and he even discussed it with TNA yesterday when he resigned. They briefly joke about a few Rhodisms.

-- Dusty enjoyed the heel turn in WCW. He talks in depth about the loud crowd reaction when he turned on Larry Zbyszko. He didn't feel it was to be a long term thing but for what it was, he had a lot of fun with it.

-- Dusty wasn't put in the nWo to get back in the ring. He feels he was put there because Eric Bischoff wanted anybody with any kind of name to be associated with the NWO.

-- Dusty had little to no creative input in the nWo. At that time, he was in an advisor role to Bischoff just submitting ideas. Dusty came up with the Berlin character.

-- Erik mentions there are a lot of similarities to ECW at the end if its days and TNA now in that both are in desperate need of TV to survive. Dusty says it's exactly the same situation.

-- Dusty agrees with Paul Heyman from the Rise and Fall of ECW release that ECW did close because they couldn't get on TV. But, he also feels ECW made big mistakes along the way. Much like Bischoff said in the home video release, ECW needed to learn to adapt its style for the mainstream audience which would potentially turn off his long term hardcore fans.

-- Dusty feels for TNA to survive, they need a better TV deal. He is glad they are on FSN but doesn't think a 4 o'clock time slot on Friday afternoon is that good. His ideal spots would either be at 6 on Saturday night (the old Saturday Night slot) or head to head with RAW on Monday night. "That's my vision. That's not their vision."

-- "I'm not going to battle with a committee of people that are not my... That don't have the same vision that I do. It's not me being a dictator. That's not it. I use people's ideas. But at the end, it's my movie, it's going to be my movie, and nobody else is going to direct it." Dusty tells a John Wayne story that fits well.

-- "I'm not going to sit here in this committee, collect my pay check, and keep my mouth shut. I'm too old for that."

-- Dusty mentions his screen play again. We ask what it is about. It seems to be a Southern style movie about an attractive girl that is kidnapped. He doesn't want to give too much away but says it's violent, different, and should be liked very much. He's going to try and get it in the Sundance Film Festival this year.

-- Dusty thinks FX would be the ideal station for wrestling because that seems to fit their kind of programming.

-- One of the major differences in booking for TNA and booking for Crockett way back when is "it's not booking anymore." Dusty says booker used to mean you booked the road schedule and did a lot of backstage work for the company. Now booker pretty much means you're the writer and that's about it.

-- Dusty says resigning from the TNA booking position is not a big deal. He thinks it's a bigger deal to the fans but thinks everything will be fine. He says he only stepped in as a booker for 4 and a half months in for Jeff Jarrett.

-- The Lockdown event was not Dusty's idea. But, he took the idea and tried to make it work and feels those who watched the event actually saw that it turned out "pretty cool." He gives a lot of credit to how hard the locker room worked. He also talks about the speech he gave the night before where he told the boys that it is in their hands now.

-- Dusty says TNA will not run house shows in the near future because they don't have good enough TV to pull it off. he says they'd "lose their ass" if they tried it right now.

-- Dusty is grateful that Dixie and Bob Carter are so loyal to TNA. He says every wrestling fan should want TNA to succeed because there has to be another option out there.

-- Dusty says people should buy his book because it's a story that really does discuss the American dream. He talks about being a guy without a great body filling arenas as a wrestler that great musicians filled and looking at the venues from the seat of his limousine when he didn't even know what a limousine was when he was growing up. He says it's not a wrestling book but wrestling fans will enjoy it as well.

-- We then roll into some word associations with names like Dustin Rhodes, Terri Runnels (quite a fine answer), Missy Hyatt, Eric Bischoff, Vince McMahon, and many more. You'll just have to listen to hear that.

-- Dusty mentions that he would love to work for the WWE one day but thinks he and Vince have far too strong of personalities to coexist. But, he would be willing to give it a try. He then jokes that if he was a little less pig headed, he'd have accepted the committee idea.

-- Ron Simmons welcomes us back to the program. Check out his interview in our archives!

-- James and Erik discuss a lot of different topics in the recap including the horrible way Chris Jericho has been handled the past few years, the reasons TNA needs to compete with the WWE, and what Smackdown needs to do to improve. We then wrap up with Foreigner's Hot Blooded to rock us into the weekend.

***** We welcome you to check us out as we return to KASC "The Blaze" 1260 AM in Arizona on May 24 with Jamie Noble, Dusty Rhodes, Al Snow, and others! Keep updated on the schedule of TII and listen to all of our archives by going to www.WrestlingEpicenter.com. We also invite you to join our forums and tell us what you think of the show! It's free to join and there is a lot of fun to be had with fellow wrestling fans!

Credit: PWInsider.com

I agree give Shane Douglas a chance.

Also wait for after the ECW PPV, maybe WWE will fire Paul. He wouldn't be a savior, but he would help.

Ah, the joys of your girlfriend having a computer while yours is down for an indefinite amount of time, and her being away so you can talk wrestling.

Jarrett should not lose the title this Sunday.

He should drop it to Styles at the "Slamiversary" PPV.  Why give JJ a 11-month reign when you can play off the "YEAR LONG REIGN" gimmick that is so rarely seen anymore?

While I don't agree with JARRETT being the one to be the year-long champion, you make perfect sense. Having him lose the belt at the 3-year anniversary show would be better than at another monthly show.

Have Tito accidently cost Styles the match.  Allege that Tito is in Camp Jarrett.  Rematch with Tito as enforcer.  Ref bump.  Tito in.  Knocks Jarrett's head off.  False finish.  Stroke countered.  Styles clash.  NEW CHAMP.  WM 14 ish w/ a fresh take.

You...you lost me there. Let's take a look at just WHERE you lost me...

Have Tito accidently cost Styles the match.  Allege that Tito is in Camp Jarrett.  Rematch with Tito as enforcer.  Ref bump.  Tito in.  Knocks Jarrett's head off.  False finish.  Stroke countered.  Styles clash.  NEW CHAMP.  WM 14 ish w/ a fresh take.

Ah, there we go. A ref bump in the main event match has been 100% expected since the height of the Attitude days in '99 WWF. So, here's what happens: Tito is a fan on the sidelines for Sunday, Jarrett hires some goons to help (sorry, I haven't been 100% following TNA, as I'm never home when Impact airs and don't have regular access to the 'net), and the goons cost Styles. DOA Duthtay Whodes tells Jarrett that there's going to be a rematch, this time with Tito as the special guest enforcer at ringside. Jarrett tries to get Tito on his side, but to no avail. His goons come out (make it no DQ so Jarrett won't seem as bad as he really is, since he'll be able to use weapons and such), and Tito lays waste to them. Styles Clash, 1-2-KICKOUT! Stroke, 1-2-KICKOUT! Stroke off the top IS REVERSED INTO A HIPTOSS...SPIRAL TAP, 1-2-3!!!!!

...sorry, I love the Spiral Tap.

Next PPV:

Styles Vs. Athletic challenger

Jarrett Vs. Tito Ortiz

Great X Title bout

Pretty good Tag Title bout

Excellent X undercard

Useless but has-to-be-there crappy undercard match w/ Rhodes, Hardy, or Raven

Styles/Daniels, anyone?

-- Dusty says the situation is fairly simple. Dusty is doing a lot of things right now including writing a sitcom, a movie, and promoting his book as well as doing public speaking and says, "To tell you the truth, I don't have a lot of time to deal with something I don't really believe in." He goes on to say that he will continue to work for TNA as an on air talent. "There's a scoop but there's no scoop. I hope they do good."

Then why the fucking fuck did he even take the job if he didnt believe in the product??!! And Rhodes is writing a sitcom and movie? He should have taken more time doing the job he was paid to do, write TNA.

-- Dusty thinks one more match between he and Flair on pay-per-view would draw.

This is one problem with Rhodes - he is delusioned (if thats even a word) in the past. That match would not draw on pay per view.

-- Dusty feels for TNA to survive, they need a better TV deal. He is glad they are on FSN but doesn't think a 4 o'clock time slot on Friday afternoon is that good. His ideal spots would either be at 6 on Saturday night (the old Saturday Night slot) or head to head with RAW on Monday night. "That's my vision. That's not their vision."

I agree with him on the timeslots. He's right that FSN might not be bad if they just would have those timeslots he discussed. Or at least no worse than WGN, and of course if FSN would not force them to pay to be on the station too.

-- "I'm not going to battle with a committee of people that are not my... That don't have the same vision that I do. It's not me being a dictator. That's not it. I use people's ideas. But at the end, it's my movie, it's going to be my movie, and nobody else is going to direct it." Dusty tells a John Wayne story that fits well.

This is the real problem with Rhodes - he is talking contradictions there, using people's ideas but yet it's his baby. You can't really have it both ways. It's clear the rumors of him not accepting input from others is what led to his downfall. This is almost the exact same problem with Russo. If either of them would just be a team player, the committee(s) would and could use them for their positive traits. When you are running the book alone and have this "me v. them" mindset it exposes the weaknesses that anyone naturally will have. You NEED that feedback from the outside to bounce ideas off each other. Hell, even Heyman has help in the booking.

-- Dusty thinks FX would be the ideal station for wrestling because that seems to fit their kind of programming.

To me, if Spike drops out, TNA should try FX instead of WGN. Much more attractive overall long term, and by that token, they could continue to keep that association with Fox in general, even cross promote a FX show and a weekend FSN show/specials?

-- The Lockdown event was not Dusty's idea. But, he took the idea and tried to make it work and feels those who watched the event actually saw that it turned out "pretty cool." He gives a lot of credit to how hard the locker room worked. He also talks about the speech he gave the night before where he told the boys that it is in their hands now.

Wow, he actually praised the locker room and the workers? WOW

-- Dusty says TNA will not run house shows in the near future because they don't have good enough TV to pull it off. he says they'd "lose their ass" if they tried it right now.

House shows - yes, attempts to at least do the ppvs somewhere else - no.

I always thought F/X would be the natural move up for TNA.

Me too, but right now, I think any deal where they aren't paying per broadcast would be an improvement, whatever channel it's on.

Me too, but right now, I think any deal where they aren't paying per broadcast would be an improvement, whatever channel it's on.

I agree, even if it's the same exact time slot on FSN.

I also think any change in networks is a good move too. WGN is the most likely. Maybe they could move home base to Chicago too? I doubt it.

From the Observer site today....

The new booking team will be announced to the wrestlers at a pre-show meeting tomorrow. Scott D'Amore looks to be the head of the committee.

Surprising that they are having a person I am willing to give a chance to with D'Amore heading the team. This might work.

In this week's Observer, it also states that Jeff Jarrett wont be in the booking team as of right now as there is some heat with the Carters side v. Jeff and Jerry Jarrett over the whole world title deal. But both Jarretts will be able to add input, just not in the same way. Although I think thats great to hear its also possibly naive that Jeff wont have a buddy like Borash standing up for him and some of Borash's suggestions will probably also be Jeff/Jerrys.

Metlzer reported that Rhodes was going to put the belt on Styles this Sunday, and that still seems likely even with a new writing team. Everyone in TNA is virtually for it at this point except Jeff and Jerry Jarrett so there is power struggle that the Jarretts could easily win due to them owning a massive chunk of the company of course. Jeff and Jerry think giving the belt to Monte Brown or Matt Hardy would make more sense at this point (which I agree with actually) v. having Styles run with the belt when its unclear to them if he can really be the long term champion they need.

Anyway this is apparently going to be the structure of the booking team:

It will be really spearheaded by the Carters and that new VP, Frank Dickerson (they will be the people that have to approve everything by the end of it), but as it was reported today, D'Amore will have some running of things too above others possibly. Mantel AND the Jarretts are not on the team. The rest of the committee will consist of Borash, Bill Banks, and in a weird surprise, Mike Tenay (which I think sounds like a good idea). No Douglas or Lynn or anything yet though, damn.