TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redhawk

Everybody Loves Raymond finale

Typical episode, so while nothing spectacular still good. Ray had some kind of normal surgury and was for some reason not coming out of his anestetic, so the nurse came out and told Debra, his father, Robert, and Amy that he was having troubles. They freaked out for 20 seconds and then the doctor came out and said he was alright. The episode was about keeping the info about Ray's near-death experience away from Ray himself and his mother.

Guest Redhawk

Heavy stuff, or at least heavier than I expected. I always though "E.L.R." would end with Ray & Debra finally moving away from Ray's parents.

They said they weren't gonna do an event finale, just a regular episode that happened to be the end.

It was only heavy for like 30 seconds

They said they weren't gonna do an event finale, just a regular episode that happened to be the end.

Oh, that explains it then. It was a little wierd having a series finale not feel like a series finale. The end where everyone gathered at the table to eat was a nice finish though.

Oh, that explains it then. It was a little wierd having a series finale not feel like a series finale. The end where everyone gathered at the table to eat was a nice finish though.

Yeah I was expecting something dramatic like that when they said Ray wasn't waking up from surgery. But then it turned into a regular ep so while it was good, it swerved my expectations

It suits the show IMO. I don't think they ever tried to be "BIG EVENT" style or "MUST SEE" the way shows that popular and that long running tend to be, so it goes out the way it always been

There wasn't any real arch to the final season that needed to be tied up, no loose ends that needed to be taken care of.

Sure it would have been nice to see a "Ray and Deb Move Away" episode thats heavy on the tissue scale and all, but that wouldn't really fit the concept of the show (I mean really are the parents THAT bad? Sure they are over the top in a sit-com way but still its liveable)

The show defiantly flew under the radar for a show that popular and long lasting so I guess it was fiting

Steve

Guest Redhawk
(I mean really are the parents THAT bad? Sure they are over the top in a sit-com way but still its liveable)

So when you're in your 30s/40s you want your parents coming over unannounced all the time? Sitting right there while you argue with your wife and throwing their 2 cents in? My problem was that they never knocked, they just came right in. I mean, it's Ray's fault for giving them keys, but still. Have some courtesy.

(I mean really are the parents THAT bad?  Sure they are over the top in a sit-com way but still its liveable)

So when you're in your 30s/40s you want your parents coming over unannounced all the time? Sitting right there while you argue with your wife and throwing their 2 cents in? My problem was that they never knocked, they just came right in. I mean, it's Ray's fault for giving them keys, but still. Have some courtesy.

In real life you would lock the doors, make demands, ect

Last time I checked its a SIT-COM

Also would a real set of parents be THAT over the top?

I think the point is that its hard to feel sorry for Raymond when he obviously brings this shit on himself by not telling his idiot family to fuck off.

Guest El Satanico
(I mean really are the parents THAT bad?  Sure they are over the top in a sit-com way but still its liveable)

So when you're in your 30s/40s you want your parents coming over unannounced all the time?

For first 18 years of my life, my grandparents on my father's side lived a few blocks away, and they would often show up unexpected. Sometimes they would call and sometimes they wouldn't. They even lived with us for an entire year while we had a new house built.

So, it's not that strange or unbelievable.

In fact, Marie reminds me alot of my grandmother, and not in a negative way. It's strange because that makes two TV moms that reminds me of her. The other one is George Costanza's mother.

Well my parents aren't like that but your comments remind me alot of my extended family.

Anyhow I don't even know if I ever watched an episode of this year. Doubt it.

And does this really warrant a dvd release of the pilot and the finale?

Guest Redhawk

I think you missed the flow of the conversation.

Of course I know it's a sitcom, but you're the one who said the parents were "liveable" and questioned whether or not they are "THAT bad." Given your comments, I have to assume that you meant the "TV world" Frank and Marie, not a real-life version of Frank and Marie. The point wasn't "what Raymond could do in real life," (i.e. take away keys, etc.) the point was "if this was Ray's real life, it would suck to have his parents over all the time."