TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The Contender

Has anyone been watching this show? It's great for a lot of reasons.

1) The boxing aspect

2) The people on this reality show aren't just doing it because they want to be on TV. They never got a real shot and this is it.

3) Sly Stallone is hilarious. Ditto Sugar Ray. He reads his parts with no care at all - probably knowing he can redub them later in the studio.

The best fight so far has been Anthony Bansante vs. Jessie Brinkley. Bansante was winning the entire fight. It came down to the final round and everyone knew Brinkley needed a knockout to win. Sure enough, with 30 seconds left, Brinkley knocked him out. It was even sweeter in my eyes, because Bansante was the most annoying fighter on the show. He managed to tie everything in to being a good father, even when it was a total stretch to do so. I wanted to see him knocked out.

Anyway, tonight is the last taped episode, and the LIVE two hour fight for the championship and 1 million dollars is Tuesday. Peter Manfredo Jr. (the overall favorite, I think) has already earned his spot for Tuesday.

It's Brinkley vs. Sergio Mora tonight to see who fights Tuesday.

Anybody else watching this? It's one of my favorite shows this TV season.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

I've been watching since the beginning.

The best fight so far has been Anthony Bansante vs. Jessie Brinkley.

Nah, I say the best fights were Manfredo/Gomez II, and Manfredo/Gilbert.

I Have Mora winning tonight, going on to face Manfredo on Tuesday, who will win that match and the championship.

I agree this is one of the best reality shows. I'm thinking Manfredo will win it, seeing as he has been lucky through the whole thing. (Minus losing his first fight)

Guest fanofcoils

I watched the Contender for the first time a week or two ago. I enjoyed watching the washed up guy with heart (Anthony) facing the cocky guy with no charisma (Jesse).

Guest Rrrsh

My guy has been the Latin Snake the whole time, so my biased point of view is that Ishe/Sergio was the best. I think that Tony/Jesse was a close second, altho I liked both guys. I think Tony view of the whole thing was awesome, so I dug his thing.

I hated Ishe and Joey, and liked Ahmeed, along with the three I mentioned already.

But Sergio has been my guy all along, so I am rooting for him.

I've been watching since the beginning. Peter Manfredo is a family friend, and his dad (Peter Sr.) is who trained me in tae kwon do/kickboxing for years.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday, we've got a big party going in hopes of Peter Jr. winning.

Well, Sergio beat Jessie. His wife was getting on my nerves really bad tonight. I just wanted to yell shut up! as loud as I could to no one in particular.

I like Sergio's story way better than Manfredo's, so I hope he wins.

Zack, I know you know him, so no offense, but Peter Manfredo Sr. is one of those dad's who live out their fantasies through their sons. That kind of shit drives me crazy, so in my eyes that's a strike against Manfredo.

To be honest, the two guys left were probably my two overall favorites, but I'll be rooting for Sergio on Tuesday.

Sergio hits hard, moves fast, but the guy is wild. He jumps halfway across the ring to throw a punch at you.

Manfredo Jr. is a complete boxer, and the best throughout the competition.

I'll be rooting for Peter on Tuesday.

I like Sergio, I was hoping he would win. Him or Ishe. Glad to see that retard Jesse go down. Stupid Jesse.

Besides. Ahmed already won. He takes home his ridiculously hot girlfriend.

My only problem with the show is that they don't air the entire fights, instead showing bits and pieces to lead you by the nose in one direction, then another. Really annoying. It would be cool if they put out a DVD with all of the fights unedited at some point, I would probably get that.

Favorite fights were Manfredo/Gomez I and II, it showed what happens when you underestimate an underdog, and then the result of learning from your mistake. Also, I doubt we have seen the last of Gomez.

Guest PlatinumBoy

Yahoo has the full fights.

For my two cents, I don't see how anyone could dislike Alphonso. As for the last fight, I think Peter is unlucky to face Sergio--as Peter I believe will beat Sergio or Jesse, but would have a much easier time with Jesse. I think Sergio could pull out a win but Peter is a tough tough boxer. Last night was weird seeing them talk about Najai, not knowing (I'd assume) during the show that he had killed himself yet--if it had happened by that point in real life.

Guest fanofcoils

Is this venue the same one as Wrestlemania IX's? It looks like it.

That was a great finale. Great fight between Mora and Manfredo. Brinkley and Gomez went at it, but Brinkley of course slowed down. I dont think his heart was in it anyways

Lots of celebrities there, including Hogan.

Guest Brian

I'll watch. That was my biggest complaint with the show, by far, and so I'm happy I'll get to see a complete fight.

Round 5 was the best by far... Sergio stopped to trash talk the Manfredo corner and they had to put the mute button on to block out Manfredo's wife from cursing. I don't know what happened.

It wasn't even close...Sergio pounded him. GOOD.

Good stuff, Sergio showed why it was silly to bet against him. Same with Alphonso kicking the crap out of Jesse. Why was Jesse the favorite there? The man has no heart, especially compared to Alphonso.

I watched the One Tree Hill season finale, but during the commercials I flipped over to NBC for results.

I'll catch the replay on CNBC tomorrow night to give my thoughts. But I honestly believe that during the next year we'll see alot more of Sergio, Peter, and Alphonso. Out of the 15 fighters, these 3 came out like stars.

Good stuff, Sergio showed why it was silly to bet against him. Same with Alphonso kicking the crap out of Jesse. Why was Jesse the favorite there? The man has no heart, especially compared to Alphonso.

That's exactly what I was saying about Jesse during the fight last night. No heart at all. Seems like if you can withstand his power for a round or two he just gives up.

As for the final, I thought that Manfredo had a good fight plan in mucking it up and staying inside of Mora, but Mora was better than he anticipated in that game as well. I was REALLY impressed with Mora's ability to avoid getting caught with power punches despite clowning around and not having his hands up very often. Although I do like Manfredo and think he is a good boxer, he didn't seem to have the strength to put Mora away even when he was connecting.

Mora's weakness seems to be his lack of strength. Even when he caught Manfredo with some "strong" punches, they seemed weak, lacking the power to knock (anyone) down. I'd like to see him put on a bit of muscle, not too much as to move up in class, but enough to gain some measure of knockout power.

It will be interesting to see what those three (Mora, Manfredo, and Gomez) do in the next couple of years as I think all three have a bright future in boxing.

It's not that easy to add punching power via muscle gain. Most people either have it, or they don't. However, Jr. MW champ Kasim Ouma & Lightweight champ Juan Diaz are volume punchers without much pop in their fists who have a achieved a measure of success.

EDIT- I don't see major titles in these guys' futures, however.

Great show and a great final last night indeed. Too bad NBC cancelled it last week.

RIP Najai "Nitro" Turpin.