TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

RAW Rating Drops Big Time

Although I don't think there is one solitary thing that can fix all the holes to stop the leaks, there are several small things they can do to help the ratings.

---The number one thing would be to focus on Batista. He was massively over (and is still over, considering) before becoming the champ. He needs to have several segments on the show, give some interviews, and be shown publicly like Cena. Show Dave at some autograph signings, get him some exposure at other things, and make him seem like the big deal everyone was buying into.

---Like was mentioned in this thread, there needs to be some title wins on Raw from time to time. The undercard titles change on there every now and then, but the World has not changed since its re-introduction/creation (depending on your stance). An idea I have is similar to Rocky III. You would need a face World Champion, but not Batista, and a big heel, but not HHH. Just a random match with little build-up, with the exception of the heel going on a dominate streak for a month and a half, and being awarded a Title shot on TV for his efforts.

Have the match be competitive for about 10 minutes, with the heel controlling for the most part. The face makes the comeback, but after a missed move, the heel hits three or four moves in a row, his finisher, and wins decisively. Make sure the announcers put over the champ as being good, but simply overmatched for that night. This can lead into a rematch a couple months down the line after the face has been re-established through victories, and the heel has a dominant run. Long-term booking that could bring back the "anything can happen" feel.

---Also, the show cannot revolve around one character. This is not HHHating, just common sense. Push those with potential that the fans are dying to see in closer to the top spots, and let Triple H become fresh again after some time off. He could do an injury angle which would be big for whoever takes him out, give him some time off to get back in prime shape and heal some injuries, and allow him to reload his character.

---Finally, the writing needs an overhaul, and I think they need to let retired wrestlers like Arn Anderson, Dean Malenko, etc. do the booking, along with Paul Heyman, Jim Cornette, Eric Bischoff and Vince McMahon. These guys can come up with old school angles that make sense, and interesting angles at the same time. While you are at it, stop scripting most of the interviews and let the wrestlers come up with their own stuff like in the past. If a wrestler sucks at doing that, help him out until he gets it down.

Throw all of these in a pot and see if wrestling doesn't get better to watch. However, they really do need another Stone Cold or The Rock, or Hogan to really get casual and new fans to start watching religiously.

MNF tends to get a different audience, although there are some like me that jump from RAW to MNF during football season.

24 seems to be in more direct competition seeing as how popular it seems to be among most wrestling fans on the Net.

Everyone knew that the title wasn't going to change hands....maybe in the "Attitude ERA" it would have happen....since it was pretty much unpredictable....

So why waste anytime watching the main event...and you already know the outcome???

Although I'm not a big HHH fan at all, this doesn't seem like it can be attributed to him. If anything, it makes all the jokes with 'Triple H thinking good ratings are because of him' true. I mean, RAW's been getting good ratings right? He says he's leaving, then people watch, to see what happens I guess, and what do you know, ,HHH isn't there. So they figure HHH won't be there next week either, and just don't watch.

That's way too much rationalizing to include HHH as the reason for the ratings. Maybe it had nothing to do with him?

I think the reason the rating was good last week was because people wanted to see who won the tournament, but it was bad this week because everyone assumed Edge had no chance of winning (and they were right), so there was no excitement over watching a match with a foregone conclusion.