TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

MLB Draft thread

Well, the less publicized draft is well underway - now into the supplemental first rounders.

In no surprise at all, the top two were Justin Upton (BJ's younger brother) to the D-Backs at number one and Nebraska superstar Alex Gordon to the Royals at number two.

The Marlins had three first rounders and two supplemental firsts and to this point have drafted 4 pitchers (3 of them HS)...not sure how I feel about that as only their first pick, Chris Volstad, was very highly touted.

How did your team do?

Well, the Astros have done OK, although their first pick, Brian Bogusevic, may not be a great fit at either of his position (pitcher and OF). They say he has good power, but he didn't have a single homer this year. He does have decent stuff though on the mound. Their comp pick for Beltran was Eli Iorg, a fairly well thought of OF from Univ. of Tenn.

BTW, your #22 pick, Aaron Thompson, went to my HS. I've seen him pitch several times and I can tell you he knows how to pitch and how to play. Good choice, assuming he turns down A&M after they fired their coach.

Teams hardly ever shy away from picking a player just because they have someone on the MLB team in that position already. In baseball these kids are 90% never gonna make the majors and the ones that do won't do it for 2-6 years down the road depending on age/talent.

I LOVE the BoSox draft today...Craig Hansen will be an ace closer for this team very soon. Foulke should be sweating...seriously.

BA rated Hansen #2 best fastball and #1 best breaking ball of all college kids. A real steal for Boston here I say.

Also they apparently got a Damon clone in Jacoby Ellsbury. Rated the fastest player in the draft and the #3 best strike-zone judgement.

I heard on the radio before the Yankees took some shortstop at 17. Don't know why.

1. By the time this kid reaches the majors, Jeter will be at least 35 years old.

2. Most good draft picks are shortstops. They play there on their amateur teams simply because they are usually the best athletes on their teams. A great deal of MLB talent were drafted as shortstops, including Gary Sheffield, Troy Glaus, Miguel Cabrera, and many others.