TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nokia

The ECW ONS Thread

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=10877&p=1

VINNIE MAC AT THE PPV, WORKERS ALREADY AT THE SHOW, HARDCORE HOMECOMING DOES HUGE NUMBERS, ECW ON WWE.COM

by Dave Scherer @ 1:58:00 PM on 6/12/2005

For those who were wondering if he would be there or not, Vince McMahon is indeed scheduled to be at tonight's ECW PPV.  Paul Heyman and Tommy Dreamer are said to be running it, and from what I heard they have a lot of stroke, but in the end, the final power sits in the hands of Vinnie Mac.

We got reports from fans who are already at the Hammerstein Ballroom who have told us that the workers have been arriving for hours now.  There is a Q and A scheduled for this afternoon for the ringside ticketholders.

The word coming out of  Friday night's Hardcore Homecoming show was that it was hugely successful.  The show reportedly did a gate of between $130,000 and $140,000, which is more than many WWE house shows, and one source told us that the merchandise sales were through the roof, doing better than Barely Legal's merch did.  Hardcore Homecoming has a ton of merchandise available from the show at http://www.hardcorehomecoming.com/.  I definitely recommend Jeremy Borash's documentary DVD.  It's a must have for any true ECW fan.  They are also heading into the studio this week to put together a two DVD set for the show itself and will have a very quick turnaround on the product.  I can't wait to see it.

Steven Fernandes sent this one. ... There is a ECW Free for all in the ECW section on WWE.com hyping tonight's PPV. It's hosted by... Joey  Styles? No. Paul Heyman? No. Tommy Dreamer? Nope.  None other than ECW legend Marc Loyd!

Vince being there has me very worried.

Here is Meltzer's PPV Preview

Most PPV events, whether good or bad, ultimately, in the grand scheme of things, are just another show, with no repercussions other than a couple of hours of good, or sometimes bad, entertainment. Tonight could be different. The success (and because of how I expect the live crowd to be, the things that are scheduled to happen and the wrestlers to perform, it's almost inconceivable right now it won't be) of the show can lead to changes in the wrestling landscape. In that sense, this is one of those rare of shows that is likely to be historical. I'm thinking Canadian Stampede crowd and workrate but with more long-term repercussions.

The show is going to be more than the usual collection of matches, as there will be angles, surprises, hopefully lots of old video clips (they do own the library and this is the night to make use of it) and different style matches. I don't think anyone cares who wins or loses. This is also a landmark show because this is the first major PPV in history where none of the matches were advertised ahead of time. The line-up was listed on the internet by WWE, but it's clear they didn't want matches announced, being that the angles on TV weren't shot for any matches and the guys in the main event were teaming with each other in brawls on television the week before the show. Because the crowd will be so hot for everything and the matches that look good on paper are supposed to be kept "clean" of the invasion angle, it will be difficult for there to be less than a few top notch matches. Here is what has been talked about:

*Rob Van Dam will do a long interview to prove he can do it to WWE management. He'll no doubt be involved physically to a degree even with his bad knee

*Lance Storm (with Dawn Marie, and there may be some interesting chants at her) vs. Chris Jericho in Storm's retirement match

*Masato Tanaka vs. Mike Awesome in a Japanese FMW style match. This is the only real question mark on the show as Awesome hasn't looked too good in years, but Tanaka was his career best opponent and they feuded over the ECW title with a number of great bouts

*Rey Mysterio vs. Psychosis as Lucha Libre style combined with ECW style

*Tajiri (managed by Jim Mitchell) vs. Super Crazy vs. Little Guido in the classic 3 way dance style

*Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero which is said to be Japanese classic style

*Tommy Dreamer & Sandman vs. Dudleys. This will be the bloodbath with all the tables, chairs, ladders, interference and probably surprise after surprise.

Among those making appearances for run-ins will include Eric Bischoff, Edge, Christian, William Regal, Gene Snitsky, Maven, Coach, JBL, Kurt Angle, Orlando Jordan, the Bashams and more. Tazz will no doubt get to choke out Kurt Angle. Al Snow will be there with Head. Sabu, Balls Mahoney, Danny Doring, Roadkill, C.W. Anderson, Rhyno, Joel Gertner, Axl Rotten, Justin Credible, Kid Kash (who it wouldn't surprise me will wrestle as I'm expecting one surprise match and Heyman loaded the wrestling portion up with guys who can go today), Mikey Whipwreck, Steven Richards as Big Stevie Cool, Simon Dean as Hollywood Nova and Blue Meanie as Blue Guy do the BWO gimmick.

Sounds terrific really. I am all for them putting all the goofy WWE invaders in the Duds vs. Dreamer/Sandman match since those guys were the main ones to attack people on Raw and SMDN. Belive me, if you give Paul E. a chance to overbook some wild shit he will gladly do so and it'll be a rollicking cluster. I don't really care if that match ends in a pin or not....I mean who cares really who the better team is? We all know those guys will be fighting with each other vs. the invading jobbers anyway.

I expect Bischoff to taste a 3D through a table (burning table anyone, or is Uncle Eric man enough?). I expect Taz to choke out Angle, but that's a given.

Eh, I'm not ordering/watching.

Call it pesimism or whatever, but I'm so utterly convinced they'll mess this up somehow that I just don't have the desire to watch. Too many guys are there without matches and only there for run-ins and the inevitable clusterfuck which I simply don't care about. There's nothing 'new' on the show. I've got all the matches on DVD or video already, save for one.

If it turns out okay, I'll buy the DVD, but they've not won me over.

People say "Ive got these matches already" or Ive seen this and that, but that was back when they were younger. Maybe they have learned some new stuff. I mean if you take the Michael Finley vs Michael Jordan tape from 91 and say "Thats the best their encounters will ever be" or whatever, its kinda throwing them under the bus as far as their abilities are concerned. AND before you say "they are old", Jerry Lynn is 42 and is still pumping out good stuff.

I wouldn't even put myself as "cautiously optimistic" for this one. I'm being neutral so that way if it sucks I'm not let down and if it ends up being good I'll be pleasently surprised.

I fully expect it to be better than any normal WWE PPV over the past few years. I say that both because of the possible match quality, and the simple "coolness" of the show.

I can already see tons of people regretting not ordering this show.

We might have seen most of these matchups before, but not like what we'll see tonight. If you always go by the thinking of "I've seen these matches before", then I don't see how you could consistantly continue to watch wrestling.

Guest *KNK*

My opinion is that it's only 35 dollars and if it's good as i hope it can be, I'll be glad i witness it live. If not, It's nothing but 35 dollars and 3 hours of my life wasted.

I likely have brought my expectations to high as I have watched about 18 hours of ECW content since yesterday morning including the Rise and Fall DVD.

Heyman said in the Miami Herald interview and Meltzer hinted in his update today that none of these matches will be screwed up by WWE interference.

Benoit v.s. Guerrero - This can't possibly suck. These guys haven't wrestled each other for a while, and not all-out in a long time. Two of the best workers in the world.

Rey v.s. Psicosis - They haven't wrestled against each other in the states in a looong time and Rey has talked a ton about wanting to top their first ECW matches. Rey worked OVW a week ago and looked fine, so no worries about his injury. Both these guys can still go.

Storm v.s. Jericho - This is Storm's retirement match, great chemisty between these two guys who used to team for years. Storm has been working guys out in OVW and can definitely still go. This match hasn't happened in the states to my knowledge.

Masato Tanaka v.s. Mike Awesome. These two have amazing chemistry, and even if Awesome has lost a step or two he really just needs to pummel Tanaka here. Reports are their last match in Japan was real good about a year ago.

Tajiri v.s. Super Crazy v.s. Little Guido. Done a lot in ECW, but this should be great and a lot of fun. It's also been a long time since we saw this, so they should have plenty of new ideas and spots.

Really, this card could rival WM X-7 or Great American Bash 89 if everything goes according to plan. I don't see how there's not going to be a couple **** matches and some *** matches here at worst.

Sandman/Dreamer v.s. the Dudleys is where all the overbooked stuff is going.

We might have seen most of these matchups before, but not like what we'll see tonight. If you always go by the thinking of "I've seen these matches before", then I don't see how you could consistantly continue to watch wrestling.

It's okay for a few matches a card. There's nothing 'fresh' on the card though. And it's okay to have a match happen again, I'm not saying every match has to be new.

But the whole point of the card is a re-visit. They're advertising each match as a repeat. 'Come watch Benoit/Eddie again', 'here's Tanaka versus Awesome again', 'hey, remember that cool match we did before...well, here it is again'. Okay, for one match, you could use past matches being good as a build. Absolutely. But an entire show? If it wasn't a reunion show, it'd be chalked up as lazy booking. 'Hey, you wanna watch Tanaka/Awesome again?' 'Sure, le me just find the tape...' 'No, don't worry, let us age them a few years and re-hash the match for you'.

I don't see Eddie/Benoit bettering their matches in Japan. Tanaka and Awesome are strongly unlikely to top their previous matches. Crazy isn't the same as he once was, so the triple threat is doubtful, although the ending to the original wasn't great. Ditto Psicosis. Dudleys/Dreamer+Sandman lacks any passion behind it because there's no storyline like the original.

It's like a sequel to a film...if it worked before, why not again? Doesn't always work like that though.

It's interesting to note that Awesome/Tanaka is listed above Sandman/Dreamer vs. Dudleys on WWE.com.

So perhaps that means Awesome and Tanaka will close out the show instead of ECW vs. WWE.

Which would be a good thing.

A question to all of those people who think that WWE will let Benoit, Eddy, Rey et al. go "all out": Why would the WWE allow the best possible wrestling to occur on one of the least-promoted shows of all-time?

I think they've promoted the show quite a bit. Over the past two weeks it's been the most focused on angle, the commercials for the PPV aired all the time, I've seen it talked about in newspapers and the such, and whatever else.

That's more than what they do for the minor "normal" WWE PPVs.

A question to all of those people who think that WWE will let Benoit, Eddy, Rey et al. go "all out": Why would the WWE allow the best possible wrestling to occur on one of the least-promoted shows of all-time?

Least promoted? You've had them pimping this up and down for the last 3 or 4 weeks on both Raw AND Smackdown, plus this will only be the fifth PPV of the year where wrestlers from both brands are on the same show.

I don't expect this to get out of control with suicidal spots like the good old days of ECW, but that's because WWE doesn't' have spots like that on ANY show anymore (no matter how much it is promoted).

I figure this will end up being a little more violent than your typical WWE PPV, but not as bad as mid-90s ECW. And that's not a bad thing. It takes more than senseless violence to put out a good show - something that Heyman has been saying all along. I think we're in for a treat tonight.

So, who jobs in Benoit vs Eddy? A No Contest or DQ ruling would piss the crowd off to no end so somebody is jobbing in this one.

Thing is, neither guy can afford to lose. Rey costing Eddy the match seems to be the most likely finish.

So, who jobs in Benoit vs Eddy? A No Contest or DQ ruling would piss the crowd off to no end so somebody is jobbing in this one.

Thing is, neither guy can afford to lose. Rey costing Eddy the match seems to be the most likely finish.

I don't think wins and losses really matter too much on this show. That's not what it's about. Look at it as a series of exhibition matches.

But if you really want a prediction, I say Benoit wins, just to make Eddie descend further into dick heel mode.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=10879&p=1

ANOTHER MCMAHON BACKSTAGE AT PPV, NOTES FROM PRE-SHOW AUTOGRAPH SIGNING, AND MORE

by Buck Woodward @ 4:35:00 PM on 6/12/2005

WWE held the pre-PPV ECW autograph session this afternoon.  According to several reports from fans, Balls Mahoney, Axl Rotten, The Blue Meanie, Sinister Minister, Mikey Whipwreck, Joel Gertner, J.T. Smith, Rob Van Dam, Kid Kash, and Dawn Marie (who I was told looks great, and is "obviously pregnant") signing for the ringside ticket holders.  Conspicuous by his absence was Tazz, who was advertised for the signing.

Speaking of the Blue Meanie, he had 12 staples and 2 stitches put in his head as a result of the ladder shot he took from the Sandman at the Hardcore Homecoming show on Friday.  Meanie was said to be in good spirits, and was showing his staples to the fans.

As a follow-up to what Dave Scherer reported earlier today, not only is Vince McMahon backstage at the PPV, but Shane McMahon is there as well. I haven't heard if Stephanie or Triple H is there. 

There have been a lot of rumors and speculation about potential "surprises" on the show tonight, with a lot of names being bandied about.  Tommy Dreamer's statement last week that there would be a surprise that would NOT be included on the PPV or DVD, but only for the live crowd, has added a lot of fuel to the fire.  I honestly think every person to ever step foot in ECW, from Steve Austin to Beulah, has been mentioned to me at one point as possibly being a "surprise" tonight. Raven's name was heavily rumored, but being that he is under TNA contract (as is Shane Douglas and Jerry Lynn), there's no way he can appear on the PPV broadcast.  One TNA source I spoke with believed Raven had already flown home anyway.  The other heavily rumored name is Terry Funk, since he is still on the East Coast and has a book signing scheduled for Bookends in Ridgewood, New Jersey tomorrow.  Of course, Funk stated on www.ForeverHardcore.net and in numerous interviews that he would not be wrestling on the show.

I think I will go with Eddie to win that match, mainly because it'll be a clean, Japanese style match and then Eddie will bust out some dickhead heel cheating to win. Benoit will be like "WTF? This was meant to be a scientific match!"

There might be another match or two added with the guys who have no match, but most of them I'd think are there to be reinforcements.

And yes, I'd love to see RVD win the title from Rhino here but I have no idea if that is a legit title win or not.

Heyman said in the Miami Herald interview and Meltzer hinted in his update today that none of these matches will be screwed up by WWE interference.

Benoit v.s. Guerrero - This can't possibly suck.  These guys haven't wrestled each other for a while, and not all-out in a long time.  Two of the best workers in the world.

Rey v.s. Psicosis - They haven't wrestled against each other in the states in a looong time and Rey has talked a ton about wanting to top their first ECW matches.  Rey worked OVW a week ago and looked fine, so no worries about his injury.  Both these guys can still go.

Storm v.s. Jericho - This is Storm's retirement match, great chemisty between these two guys who used to team for years.  Storm has been working guys out in OVW and can definitely still go.  This match hasn't happened in the states to my knowledge.

Masato Tanaka v.s. Mike Awesome.  These two have amazing chemistry, and even if Awesome has lost a step or two he really just needs to pummel Tanaka here.  Reports are their last match in Japan was real good about a year ago.

Tajiri v.s. Super Crazy v.s. Little Guido.  Done a lot in ECW, but this should be great and a lot of fun.  It's also been a long time since we saw this, so they should have plenty of new ideas and spots.

Really, this card could rival WM X-7 or Great American Bash 89 if everything goes according to plan.  I don't see how there's not going to be a couple **** matches and some *** matches here at worst.

Actuall Storm did Face Jericho during the wwe invasion. I know for sure their first tv match in the WWF, was the SD after ECW returned on RAW w/Steph and Shane joining up. Jericho got Storm to tap out to the walls in a short, okayish match. (I have the match on tape so I remember this for sure)

and I know they probably had some more matches on houseshows, but you are right, never to this degree on a ppv.

Actually I just watched the ECW Byte This and it was really fun. Heyman basically promised a lot of surprises and Dreamer said hey it wont be the real ECW but it will come as close as possible to it. Heyman and Dreamer were basically shooting for the entire show, hell by the end Heyman said the hell with it and declared that the WWE could never put on a show like ecw could, not because of lack of talent but because they weren't motivated to.

I recommend checking that out before the ppv. weve got about an hour till the free for all start.

I wasnt going to order it, but my neighbor invited me over for it, so I guess I will see it live.

and did this show really need to use bodies as a theme song, I mean that was the song for summerslam 2001 , 4 years ago, but I guess it is appropriate .

Guest *KNK*

No. If it's AUTHENTIC, Bodies should never approach this ppv but sadly it will.