GreatWhiteNope

One and Only "ECW: One Night Stand" Thread

Rate "ECW: One Night Stand"  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Rate "ECW: One Night Stand"

• Good
    • Mediocre
    • Bad

Actually I felt like JBL was crapping on the match too. If you listen to what he was saying, he makes comments like "oh no not another table"

He's being sarcastic and acting as if its a "garbage" match.

Guest JesusJuiced

He seemed to crap over the near falls too, always laughing when the match didn't end. He did a shoulder up movement a couple times too.

I actually really ended up enjoying the interaction with the WWE guys. It made the show better in my opinion. Seeing the WWE guys getting wasted, The Sandman "jerking" his cane at JBL was priceless, Bichoff flipping Heyman off. I could actually sense some hostility between some of the workers. I'm not surprized punches were actually thrown at the end.

It was a mixture of him making fun of it, and loving it. He started off hating it, making fun of the near falls and the tables and stuff, but as the match went longer and longer, he was obviously starting to love it, and by the end it looked to me as if Awesome and/or Tanaka had totally won him over.

I've watched the PPV two more times since Sunday, and it's been just as impactuful to me as it was when I watched it live. This will be a show that I'll be able to watch at any time, for the rest of my life. It may not technically be better than a show like WM17, but it's by far the most entertaining PPV that I've ever seen from top to bottom. If I had to choose a PPV to just sit down and watch again, this would be the one.

He was clearly mocking them, cuz they were kicking out of everything. Didn't you see him laughing? Tanaka hulking up from chairshots, the numerous table spots, everything was way over the top. not saying I personally had a problem with it, that match wasn't supposed to be realistic or scientific. I even heard JBL say to Orlando Jordan "this isn't even wrestling" at one point. The "oh my god" look on his face wasn't from him being impressed. He couldn't believe how ridiculous the match was in his opinion. At no point the begining or the end did I think he was actually impressed.

It baffles me why WWE would show his mocking reactions to the match. Of course marks wouldn't get it, thinking he was really liking the match(like some people here). But he was there to put over the ECW product for one night, not to shit on it.

Whatever, I've watched it over and over again and he is really enjoying the match to me more and more as it goes on, and it evolves from mocking to just being impressed.

I think at one time he even, with a serious look, said to OJ that he wanted one, or both, of them to join his team.

Whatever is right. Just my opinion. There is no way to really know what he felt about the match, unless you ask him.

Once again, I repeat, CarnivalizComing is the dude who honestly sincerely thinks Jeff Jarrett is over. He has a skewed sense of reality. Pay him no attention.

seriously think JBL wasn't mocking them at any point during the match = mark

He could have been mocking them in character..good point.

But regardless, he was totally buring them.

but then again, you thought he was really enjoying it.

you must have talked to him in last couple days. cuz thats the only way you could know that.

IMO, i thought he was mocking them, character or not.

you must have talked to him in last couple days. cuz thats the only way you could know that.

IMO, i thought he was mocking them, character or not.

That's your opinion. I personally thought he was enjoying it. He may have said "That's not wrestling!" or whatever, but really, it wasn't. It was Awesome just killing Tanaka.

I didn't watch the show live, but watching a taping of it, I didn't see what was so great about the PPV. Yes, it was an above average PPV for todays standards, I loved how it stayed true to ECW roots, the look and feel of it, having Stlyes on play by play... but I've gotten greater enjoyment out of other ECW PPVs in the past. There were too many damn videos and long down time between matches where it didn't feel fast paced like a regular ECW PPV. I understand why, but still...

There were one or two 3 1/2 out of 5 star matches on the card IMO, mainly because there was no reason to root for one guy over the other. The finish happened, and that was it...

I couldn't emotionally get behind any of the matches. It brings me back to RVD vs. Jerry Lynn for the TV title, thinking that for the first time RVD could have lost. Even more obscure matches.... I remember an ECW World Title match between Mike Awesome and Kid Kash, and it had the feeling that Kid Kash could have actually won the world title that night.

A lot of the matches were just garbage matches... I did not see what was so great about Awesome Tanaka. Nothing was on the line, and there were a few insane spots. But those spots don't make the match incredible IMO, just something for the highlight reel to play back for years to come. There was no really outstanding technical wrestling, and everything seems so high spot orientated. I did not like the matches with WWE Wrestlers... I personally felt that Benoit vs. Eddie had no business being on that PPV. They were two guys that happend to be in ECW in the past, never had a 1 on 1 match against each other, and were facing each other in a match that was worse than matches we have seen between the two in the past and will most likely see in the future now that Benoit is on Smackdown. On top of that, I would personally say they were more known for their work in WCW and the WWF. Same goes for Austin's involvement, but atleast it wasn't a match. I would have rather seen something I will never have had the chance to see if it wasn't for this show. Putting Eddie up against an ECW Alumni, putting Benoit up against an Alumni...

Why were there wrestlers that were there just for a quick run in instead of giving them a match? I would have rather seen the return of the Impact Players in a tag match rather than a Justin Credible run in. Same thing for Kid Kash, I think he's a very entertaining wrestler, yet he just had a run in during the main event.

And people are saying that Vince might consider bringing back ECW full time because of the success of this PPV? First of all... Vince paid a bunch of guys to wrestle one night only, who were going to most likely take insane bumps which Vince wouldn't normally let them do on a regular basis if he had to worry about them being injured and out of action while on a WWE contract. That's why the style of WWE now is so safe compared to what we have seen in the past. Look at Dreamer's injurys from just one match.

Match of the Night for me IMO? Jericho vs. Lance Storm. It was different enough from WWE style that it looked new and fresh, while still technical, without getting into the insane bumping of ECW style while keeping themselves safe.

Though when it comes to that match I still have a problem with the match of "yeah, if Vince was smart, we could have seen this already and it wouldn't be 'new'." It amazes me why while all three of them were in the same company, Vince never teamed up Dawn Marie with Lance Storm and Justin Credible...

It may sound like I'm shitting on the PPV, but I really did enjoy it. Like I said, one of the best PPVs in awhile, but just didn't have that "OMG!" feeling which I sensed from all of you that saw it live.

Fake Edit: And Bradshaw in character was obviously getting a kick out of these wrestlers killing each other over nothing... not impressed by it

That's your opinion. I personally thought he was enjoying it. He may have said "That's not wrestling!" or whatever, but really, it wasn't. It was Awesome just killing Tanaka.

I agree, I enjoyed the match, but he was right that it was garbage wrestling and just insanely ridiculous that they kicked out of all that.

I just think, if he was mocking it, thats not right. Character or not i think he was buring them.

What is this buring them? Don't you mean burying?

Anyway I thought watching it that JBL was getting into the match as it went on, but was staying semi in character with the occasional mockery. Besides, it's not like Bradshaw has ever had many non gimmick matches that were better.

Astro, I sorta know what you mean but you missed the point of the PPV. The matches by definition didn't have strong emotional storylines behind them...they were barely even mentioned going in, just on a net website. It was essentially an exhibition, a cliff's notes version of ECW and its workers.

ECW is something that was always very much of a "right here, right now" thing. As in you have to see it at the exact moment it is on TV (whether the show is live or taped, whatever) or else it tends to lose its impact. For instance the RVD/Bigelow match. I saw that one on TV in April 1998, not particularly expecting anything but by the end I was jumping out of my chair. If I'd heard about that match for weeks and how good it was I likely would have been somewhat jaded going in. Same thing with this PPV.

The scary thing is that they could easily do a followup PPV that is better. Just get a similar crowd (dare I say at a bigger venue like the Spectrum?), have a healthy RVD wrestling, bring in New Jack for some pillage, get Malenko this time, etc.

If they do another ECW show/PPV, I wouldn't mind if they just had it at the same place. I love that building for a wrestling show.

Astro, I sorta know what you mean but you missed the point of the PPV.  The matches by definition didn't have strong emotional storylines behind them...they were barely even mentioned going in, just on a net website.  It was essentially an exhibition, a cliff's notes version of ECW and its workers.

Oh I got the point of the PPV. But the buildup has a lot to do with the match itself. That's what seperates any normal PPV from Wrestlemania

Just thinking, as great as Sandman's entrance was, shouldn't Woman have been alongside him, it's not like she wouldn't have been reachable.

Oh I got the point of the PPV.  But the buildup has a lot to do with the match itself.  That's what seperates any normal PPV from Wrestlemania

Maybe I'm alone here, but I'd rather have a PPV like ECW One Night Stand, where they don't promote any of the matches, than the majority of WWE matches with a "OMG-SUPER-COOL-AWESOME" WWE storyline.

The major benefit to not promoting a match is that it means they can't damper your enthusiasm for said match. And while the opposite is true, in that it also means they can't increase your enthusiasm for a match, I'd rather not take the chance with the WWE 'creative geniuses'.

Guest Ransome
If they do another show, they need to do a Double Jeopardy match or Stairway to Hell.

Exactly. They'd need to give more time to the matches themselves though. One Night Stand's matches were too short - which is probably why Rey/Psicosis and Benoit/Guerrero didn't give us the classics we were expecting. Although, of course, it's understandable given how many videos and promos they were trying to fit in, which they obviously wouldn't play such a part in a second show.

I'd like to see ECW as a yearly pay-per-view to replace KOTR. There seems to be a giant hole between Wrestlemania and Summerslam as it is, which ECW can clearly fill. A second event would also at least give RVD a chance to wrestle (again, RVD's injuries are few and far between but seem to happen at the most inopportune times), as well as including talent like Raven and Terry Funk as a drawing point.

seriously think JBL wasn't mocking them at any point during the match = mark

There is no way to really know what he felt about the match, unless you ask him.

You lose.