TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

How much one guy can hate Reggie Jackson

Bonds, ARod and all things Yankees may be hated, but here is a story about how much one Red Sox fan hated Reggie Jackson

My uncle, huge Red Sox fan was watching Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS.

Well, right as Dave Henderson came up to hit the homer off of Donnie Moore, the cameras spotted Reggie Jackson putting his arm around Gene Mauch's shoulder, and to my uncle. that was pure "Look at me" Reggie.

Basically Reggie couldn't give a rats behind about Gene Mauch before or after and here he is being all "You are finally going to the World Series because I am on this team"

So from that point he knew that the Sox would win the Series, because Reggie just put a jinx on Mauch and the Angels

Course my uncle got Bill Buckner and Donnie Moore confused when remebering who wound up killing themselves but thats another story...

Steve

Just a story about Reggie Jackson hating as compared to Bonds/ARod hate today

A guy hates Reggie so much that he thought Reggie putting his arm around someone's shoulder was an "All about me" moment and saw that as the reason why the Sox would eventually win the series

Uh, you guys are well aware that Reggie Jackson was the Barry Bonds of the 70's and 80's right? In terms of being the most hated player in baseball

Steve

Uh, you guys are well aware that Reggie Jackson was the Barry Bonds of the 70's and 80's right?  In terms of being the most hated player in baseball

Steve

Born in 1983. Reggie's career ended in 1987, when I was four.

To recap:

Reggie Jackson wasn't well liked.

Someone (unsure who, this person hasn't been IDed at all) saw him doing something, and thought that it jinxed the Angels.

Other stuff happened.

I had to read that about five times to figure out what the story was, and even then it wasn't that interesting. I could find individual fans that hate just about every player in baseball.

Reggie Jackson was a controversial figure in baseball. People don't know that?

I had to read that about five times to figure out what the story was, and even then it wasn't that interesting.  I could find individual fans that hate just about every player in baseball.

Reggie Jackson was a controversial figure in baseball.  People don't know that?

Its been edited

Last time I write something off the cuff...

Steve

Favorite Reggie Story.

On a game of the week. They asked Reggie if he could somone take his time at the batters box in order for them to run some kind of video. Not only does Reggie do this..he gives a huge wink to to the press box area.

Great quotes about Reggie...

"Reggie's a great guy. He'd give you the shirt off his back. Then he'd call a press conference to announce it."

"Not really. I had one. I unwrapped it and it told me how good it was."

-Catfish Hunter, asked if he had tried a Reggie bar

"Not really.  I had one.  I unwrapped it and it told me how good it was."

-Catfish Hunter, asked if he had tried a Reggie bar

Now that's just freakin' classic.