TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Since there's that Silver Surfer movie coming out soon (you know, the one guest-starring the Fantastic Four), Angry Video Game Nerd has ranted on the NES game:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=20300&type=mov

It also contains some constructive suggestions of how the game could have been better.

I have two comments on it:

--one, the pot doesn't appear to have killed him, but rather the dripping slime *just* as it came out.

--two, there's actually a special attack to kill multiple enemies (like in nearly all shooters), activated with Select, that I don't think he knew about. Would have probably helped a little.

Good, but not as cool as the German Do the Mario.

Uh-huh. :P

A friend and I were making up lyrics too it.

"I..fragged..that..kid...in Unreal Tournament!.."

Look back at Chrono Trigger:

http://www.gamespite.net/verbalspew/archives/entry_329.php

There's a reason I still cling loyally to the J-RPG genre despite its utter stagnation and creative bankruptcy, and that reason is simple: Because when they do it right, they come up with games like Chrono Trigger, games visceral enough to reach across genre boundaries and appeal to everyone.

Everyone, I said. If you don't love this game, you are not worth counting. Harsh but true!

Arguments that like are awful, and quite frankly hilarious. Chrono Trigger's gameplay is grossly inferior to almost every RPG I can think of that came after it. If anything, it's modern RPGs that have taken the creative bankruptcy of old RPGs and made the genre something better. The only argument that Chrono Trigger is an all time great RPG is nostalgia, and that argument isn't even worth being mocked. Well, either that, or some people just don't mind tedious random battles where you use your non-customizable characters by selecting attack, or one of their three to four skills every turn. And this was what most old RPGs were in a nut shell, outside of the very, very few great ones, like Final Fantasy VI. But wait, that doesn't make sense, since the small, vocal minority that the nostalgists make up are constantly bitching and moaning about random battles in modern RPGs, while praising stuff like Chrono Trigger that is actually more tedious and lacking in variety. So I guess it really is just nostalgia. That nostalgia, it gets some people to believe such funny things.

That's ok, I don't take seriously anything you, or people of your ilk say about game quality.

Here are your Schrute Bucks, DrVenkman.

That Silver Surfer video is the best angry nerd review I've seen.

again the Nerd's problems is that he cusses way too much....obviously, I'm not adverse to cussing, but he's cussing just for the sake of cussing...it felt like watching Bad Boys 2.

Sometimes the swearing is so ridiculous and over the top that it's funny. Also, he should start doing the hard parts of games that aren't actually bad games. It could be entertaining.

Guest Smues
Arguments that like are awful, and quite frankly hilarious. Chrono Trigger's gameplay is grossly inferior to almost every RPG I can think of that came after it. If anything, it's modern RPGs that have taken the creative bankruptcy of old RPGs and made the genre something better. The only argument that Chrono Trigger is an all time great RPG is nostalgia, and that argument isn't even worth being mocked. Well, either that, or some people just don't mind tedious random battles where you use your non-customizable characters by selecting attack, or one of their three to four skills every turn. And this was what most old RPGs were in a nut shell, outside of the very, very few great ones, like Final Fantasy VI. But wait, that doesn't make sense, since the small, vocal minority that the nostalgists make up are constantly bitching and moaning about random battles in modern RPGs, while praising stuff like Chrono Trigger that is actually more tedious and lacking in variety. So I guess it really is just nostalgia. That nostalgia, it gets some people to believe such funny things.

Chrono Trigger doesn't have random battles. You can see all the enemies on the map and avoid a lot of them if need be.

Well yes, but the general complaint about battles in RPGs are their supposedly tedious nature, rather then whether they're random or avoidable. I just tend to say random battles as a catch-all term for RPG battles. But even if the battles are avoidable, you usually need to fight semi-frequently or else you get smoked by the next boss. And there's another "fun" facet of old RPGs that has thankfully been put to bed by most modern developers - Artificially driving up the length of a game by requiring the player to grind for hours in order to deal with certain bosses.

I don't agree with your opinion. The fact that you took the time to state the reasons for believing your opinion shows that talking with you might provoke critical thinking that opposes my view. I can't have that, so off to the land of ignore you go from whence you came, demon beast!

Seriously though, hopefully ATS doesn't take me the wrong way there... I just think he was being a bit twitchy in his above reaction.

That Silver Surfer ending sure seems exciting! (though that's about what I expected - a few screens saying a goal was accomplished and then credits).

I don't agree with your opinion. The fact that you took the time to state the reasons for believing your opinion shows that talking with you might provoke critical thinking that opposes my view. I can't have that, so off to the land of ignore you go from whence you came, demon beast!

Seriously though, hopefully ATS doesn't take me the wrong way there... I just think he was being a bit twitchy in his above reaction.

Not at all.

WWM has, IMO, always had a lousy, pompous attitude that dripped heavy from every sentence he typed. It's no fun arguing with him at all. He took an obvious jest as some sort of invitation to debate. I have no interest in reading anything from him anymore, and I'm letting him know that.

I ignored him not when he posted that response even; I Ignored him when he made his lame comment where he's trying to stereotype me. He makes lots of assumptions he really shouldn't. He said he doesn't have any respect for my opinion. So, what's illogical about me not caring to see his opinion anymore? Loading up his signature with philosophers' quotes is just ironically hilarious, though. It's Pretentiousness 101.

I'm done with him; end of discussion.

That Silver Surfer ending sure seems exciting! (though that's about what I expected - a few screens saying a goal was accomplished and then credits).

It's actually quite verbose compared to many an NES ending, you have to admit.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/a%27d%27d%27-comp...utes-267582.php - Pretty neat, even if the screens fly by fairly quickly.

KoCII - I would try the big torrent index sites. Blackcat Games is the only private games site I know of, but I'm not sure if they'd have it. You can also keep an eye on the ps2 newsgroup if you're into that scene.

Look, there's really not a lot of argument wriggle room. Anyone who just writes off Chrono Trigger as a game either A) has no real valid opinion on games, or at least RPGs or ....

vaguely possibly B) never played it until like last year and couldn't deal with the outdated tech. Anyone who played it at the time and likes RPGs loved it and loves it still, to my knowledge.

Well yes, but the general complaint about battles in RPGs are their supposedly tedious nature, rather then whether they're random or avoidable. I just tend to say random battles as a catch-all term for RPG battles. But even if the battles are avoidable, you usually need to fight semi-frequently or else you get smoked by the next boss.

And exactly what modern RPG games eschew this design convention?

And there's another "fun" facet of old RPGs that has thankfully been put to bed by most modern developers - Artificially driving up the length of a game by requiring the player to grind for hours in order to deal with certain bosses.

Have you even played Chrono Trigger? The game is renowned for its lack of grinding; speed runs have finished the game in less than four hours.

Guess which company has a negative news story about them in Europe?

You guessed it.

Apparently the Church of England was not happy about Resistince featuring gun battles in a photo-realistic cathedral, citing igorance towards real gun violence problems in Manchester.

#1 I never said it was my complaint.

#2 Did you even read my post? I never said Chrono Trigger had that problem.

If it wasn't your complaint and you don't believe that Chrono Trigger has that problem, then why build up a strawman for "older RPGs" in direct response to a post about Chrono Trigger (in the middle of a discussion that that basically started with your declaration that Chrono Trigger was overrated)?

Because old RPGs generally had that problem, and I was mentioning that as a reason why old RPGs typically aren't any good. It was an additional comment that I tacked on the end that kind of tied into what I had said a few lines earlier. Actually, the post in question made no mention of Chrono Trigger.

this is strictly my own perspective talking here, but I didn't play Chrono Trigger for the first time until 2002 via emulator and I loved it...but I'm also a fan of those old school RPGs. FF7 was still in the same sort of mold as FF6 so I had a certain comfort level. I couldn't adopt to FF8 at all, the levelling and junction system totally threw me (that's not why I hate it, however). I did adapt well to FF10 with that whole grid thing, but overall, I'll take old school any day.

I remember when I played CT on an emulator. Couldn't do a door password sequence because you couldn't press L+R at the same time on a keyboard unless you programmed the same key to be booth and one of the areas had so much fog due to an emulation problem that it was hard to see.

That was the day I realized emulation isn't all that and why I justify paying $30 for a bunch of Mega Man games I could play on my computer but just won't.

weird..I never had that fog issue you're metioning...I use ZSnes, I also have a PS styled controller as well. The controller is perfect for every emulator I have. The only games that are ever really a struggle sometimes are fighting games. It seems harder to pull off special moves on an emulator for some reason.

Other than my controller being a piece of shit (one of the buttons sticks), I really have never run in to a situation significant enough for me to say "fuck this, I'll just pay $30 for it on the real system."