TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

Games with too much movie!

Some people, myself included, take gaming seriously. If I found someone who enjoyed the stupidest crap possible, I'd tell him/her to get as far away from video game playing as possible. It's not a knock on the people really, but more a preservation issue, as I'd want the developers to try to develop quality games, and it'd be harder with people undercutting the serious gamers along the way with bad taste in games.

But there will always be people with crappy taste in games.

And who decides what's crappy and what's not? You? Andrew? Everyone has a right to enjoy whatever the hell it is that they enjoy. I thought Secret of Evermore was an embarassment to Squaresoft's name, but if someone else liked it, yay for them, play it as much as you want.

No no. I'm not saying that people must like what I like. I'm just saying that's why the serious gamers get offended or pissed when people say they like crappy games. It's like people being pissed at others for liking Carlito Cool or Muhammad Hassan. It's silly but it's just how things go.

It's come down to this for me basically, the more the companies target their games towards the relatively recent casual gamers market, the more the amount of games that come out that are interesting to me seemingly decreases. I know getting older plays some part of it, but it doesn't cover the whole issue.

I've taken video games as my lifelong companion, ever since first playing Atari at my grandmother's house when I was a youngster to now, where I had owned a video game console of every kind in US existence at one point or other. My interests in games has slowed down a lot, not because of age, because I am still a kid at heart, but just the kind of games coming out lately. They're either too adult-related like God of War or the GTA series or they have too many movies in them. I really find myself playing the older systems a lot more often because I think I'm a product of the 16-bit/32-bit era player that seem to be lost in time.

I think gaming keeps getting better as it gets more mainstream. We get more good games now than we ever got......Except 2D fighters and beat em ups. :angry:

I think gaming keeps getting better as it gets more mainstream. We get more good games now than we ever got......Except 2D fighters and beat em ups.  :angry:

I miss the PC Adventure personally. Sam & Max, Willy Beamish, Space Quest, etc.

On the plus side, it is a golden age for fans of sports games.

Add me on for 2D shooters, 2D fighting and beat em ups, adventure games, RPG's that are somewhat original and games that are hard in general, not just cheap.

EDIT: Yeah, maybe 3-4 games a year now that really strike an interest.

Hell, 2D ANYTHING. I hate the current "wisdom" that says all games must be in 3D. Some game series (Castlevania comes to mind) are just wrong in 3D.

I loved Lament of Innocence (which I played at a friend's place, since I haven't had a PS2 for over two years), personally... though I wouldn't mind seeing another SotN styled game

Andrew, you are taking this petty thing far too seriously. But because you put so much effort in responding, I'll go ahead and put the same for you.

Translation: "I instigated this, but I'm going to insult you by saying you're taking this 'too seriously' because I screwed up and simply wasn't ready to handle it."

I guess discussing something on a board created for discussion is taking something too seriously

No more than you insinuating people should quit video games because they disagree with your point of view. Or even worse, telling them to stay away from YOUR hobby because it'll ruin it from everyone else.

It's my opinion. Why do you care? You're the one taking that "too seriously," and yet you had nothing to really defend against it except (if I may set up a strawman, please) "OMG L33+ist N3RDY 5M@r|<y comm3nd!"

You're failed miserably at trying to present any sort of counter argument. You've apparently refused to take up my challenge at trying said games and defending them.

A reasonable argument can't be made against something that you only "skim" over instead of actually take in and respond to. Your reluctance to do so is what made me jump to that conclusion.

Since it was just a mundane, uncontroversial statement I had not taken offense do or disagreed with, skimming it was all I had to do.

Let the record show that you admit to jumping to conclusions.

Fair enough. I'll concede.

Accepted.

I think the thing is here, is a simple misunderstanding. For one thing, my point wasn't necessarily based just on how much cutscenes are used in games; it was how you reacted to the extreme examples, which is pretty ridiculous. By the tone of your last couple posts in this thread, it's obvious you're still rather irritated with the matter, so let's just drop it.

My reaction to the "extreme examples" is based on them representing what I feel is a very awful movement cooked up by braindead executives and pretentious game directors who, if they had their choice, would be making real movies.

I'd rather that they not exist, or no one ever play them, than it even remotely catch on.

If Batman & Robin were a hit movie, you'd see more comic book adaptions taking the same creative route. Fans of the source material would understandably be upset, since that approach would likely displace any serious attempts such as Begins. Does that analogy make sense? Or it it just elitist, smarky, nerdy, blah blah blah blah, blah?

Actually, I'm not tired or irritated at all. You seemed to be making a challenge when you insulting my opinion in the first place. I accepted it. That's all.

Regardless of how horrible these games are, and judging by their popularity, I'd say most people seem to agree by lack of interest, these are pretty damn ridiculous, or at least obsessive, statements.

How?

People with plenty of interests feel strongly that crap shouldn't be richly rewarded, since in that case crap spawns bigger piles of crap.

FMV games sold horribly, and the movement nosedived. +1 for good taste and the survival of quality gaming.

Note, I'm not "flame baiting" here or using "profanity" to so much as blemish your paper-thin skin,

"Paper-thin skin"? Not at all. It's just that in a civilized discussion, I'd assume on this board we'd be above making smart-assed insults, swearing at each other, or acting like immature little kids.

Jobber and I had a nice (although heated) discussion going with the DS/PSP, but he claimed that I was acting "like MikeSC" while *he* was making direct insults to me, when I did nothing of the sort towards him. I pointed out the hypocrisy in that and chided him for "poisoning the discourse" in my rebuttal, which he curiously never replied to.

He never compared me to CronoT, though.

but perhaps you should take a step back and realize that video gaming is just a HOBBY.

I do.

Why can I discuss it without resorting to cheap insults against the person I'm discussing with, but you apparently cannot?

This isn't GameFAQs, VX.

If you were being sarcastic or at least only half-serious, then disregard this, but if you were being wholly honest and serious, you really need to re-examine your life.

What a pitiful argument that is. In other words, "if you hold any strong opinions on a hobby, you have no life."

You're not very good at this, VX.

Although perhaps rather than tailoring the statement to an individual basis, I should have said "gaming public, I would like you to please not buy **** like this. Thank you."

Is that more acceptable?

I'm done with this. Let's be friends again.

You phailed. Thank you, come again.

We were never friends, just acquaintances on an internet message board. I'll bear no ill will towards you, though. **** happens.

It's fun arguing with Anya, because she's got opinions that are off-the-wall for this forum, but she's a good sport about it when challenged.

Some people, myself included, take gaming seriously. If I found someone who enjoyed the stupidest crap possible, I'd tell him/her to get as far away from video game playing as possible. It's not a knock on the people really, but more a preservation issue, as I'd want the developers to try to develop quality games, and it'd be harder with people undercutting the serious gamers along the way with bad taste in games.

I'd agree with that, and that's basically my opinion.

In Japan, the Sega CD was taking advantage of the medium for more traditional games. US SCD owners were bombarded with FMV garbage, and we'd occasionally luck out and get some scraps of goodness Working Designs managed doggy-bag across the Pacific.

And who decides what's crappy and what's not? You? Andrew? Everyone has a right to enjoy whatever the hell it is that they enjoy. I thought Secret of Evermore was an embarassment to Squaresoft's name, but if someone else liked it, yay for them, play it as much as you want.

If it was just an original effort they did for the heck of it, whatever. It wasn't that awful.

However, because of it we dididn't get a US Seiken Densetsu 4/Secret of Mana 2. That's more worth being upset about.

I'm not talking run-of-the-mill crap, I'm talking about truly awful, idiotic experiments that I wouldn't mind being banished from our collective memories.

I'll admit I have extremely low opinions of people with a certain taste of games, and I've insulted them. Unless they want to defend themselves, I'll gladly hold onto that stereotype of them.

Hell, 2D ANYTHING. I hate the current "wisdom" that says all games must be in 3D. Some game series (Castlevania comes to mind) are just wrong in 3D.

Agreed. I don't hate 3D, but certain companieS ONlY want to see 2D games in compilations, and are hesitant to let stand-alone 2D games see release. (Note: not that releasing 15 year old games by themselves is justifiable in most cases, or that SvC Chaos deserved a solo release.)

Of course, I don't blame game companies solely, because the blame for abandonment of 2D also falls on the shoulders of gamers themselves. If plenty of console 2D games sold millions of copies, you'd see them more often.

Guest Vitamin X

Maybe you haven't read a MikeSC-style line-by-line dissertation, but it is entirely possible to do that.

Maybe you haven't read a MikeSC-style line-by-line dissertation, but it is entirely possible to do that.

I think you mean "dissection," but okay.

I guess good old quotation marks are still best.

106685.jpg

I'm going to say that Andrew is the white cat whilst VX is the brown one. Even though VX is a whitey.

Edit: And VX looks to be kicking Andrew in the nuts.

Lord I hope you are being sarcastic and not missing the connection between the picture and you and VX having your own little cat fight.